Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 10:27 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,089,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Indeed the idea that anyone doing it deliberately would do so in front of someone else is rather foreign to me,
LOL good point. I think a lot of people don't do it deliberately when they know someone is watching, but it's become such an everyday habit that they do it casually without realizing they're doing it or that people can see them doing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 10:28 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,549,480 times
My property abuts onto Babcock Blvd, the amount of trash I collect is amazing. My guess it's the low-life that pass through this rich area that litter.

Old 04-19-2011, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post

I would notice such things if they happen in front of me, so I'm not a very good candidate for observing any actual litterers, given that I apparently only drive through places it doesn't happen next to people who don't do it.
Hey, all data is good. It's useful to know if people don't see something happening. For one thing, it may mean the problem isn't that bad. Or, that litter is coming from those Sewickley Zombies and what you have is a zombie issue.

Or, if lots of you guys report not seeing it happen, yet litter is still mysteriously appearing, it may mean people are littering deliberately and secretly (rather than carelessly) and there is little point to discussing ways to confront them.

Old 04-19-2011, 11:53 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
I also want to mention that I use Delafield Road all the time and now that the biggest VA hospital in the world has been built to house all the vets that have been injured in the bush wars the trash amount is way more than ever. I am not sure why there is so much, but it looks like a land fill. Probably contractors with stuff blowing around in the beds of their pickups, but I am not sure.

Old 04-21-2011, 07:09 AM

LOL, well I guess that experiment was a dud!

Or.... was it? I suppose you could argue that it shows the roots of the problem are exactly what many of you said: apathy. People have bigger fish to fry, and as time passes you get used to litter and don't even see it anymore. Good point, actually--there are a lot of bigger problems in this world.

Meanwhile, maybe one or two people have altered their habits due to reading this thread... and if that's the case then it was a good thread. (And if not... well it was still a good thread because it was an interesting topic.)

Old 04-21-2011, 10:18 AM

149 posts, read 458,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
LOL, well I guess that experiment was a dud!

Or.... was it? I suppose you could argue that it shows the roots of the problem are exactly what many of you said: apathy. People have bigger fish to fry, and as time passes you get used to litter and don't even see it anymore. Good point, actually--there are a lot of bigger problems in this world.

Meanwhile, maybe one or two people have altered their habits due to reading this thread... and if that's the case then it was a good thread. (And if not... well it was still a good thread because it was an interesting topic.)
Totally agree!

Old 05-06-2011, 12:34 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
I was driving through East Liberty today and watched a black guy in an old beat up Lexus roll down his passenger window and toss a bunch of trash out. I was right behind him and shook my head and he gave me the finger. Such class, but it was East Liberty, so that kind of thing is just normal I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh