Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 10:55 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,961,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Guess I don't need to make fun of that. It speaks for itself.

I don't care if the NRA is here and am glad they will bring some money here. I just find the organization a funny one. The idea is good, but their extreme view that is all about fear gets me laughing pretty hard. You have to admit, they are hilarious and they seem to love Palin which adds to the overall feel of the organization's intellect. Wonder why they don't like Obama? He doesn't pay attention to the NRA as far as I can tell. A non issue, which is good for the NRA. I mean anyone can still go to a gun show and walk out with an M-16 or whatever is the latest weapon people love to show off.
Sweeping new gun control measures are a dead issue in what is considered the mainstream of the Democratic Party. The NRA used the Obama election in 2008 to their advantage and raked in all kinds of additional revenue by pulling the "Democrats are gonna take your guns," fear card. Ammo companies took it to the next level and created a huge market shortage in bullets that pushed the price sky-high. And it looks like the fear wagon is up and runing again just in time for next years election. NRA Chief Says Obama Reelection Threatens Gun Rights. (http://arkansasnews.com/2011/04/19/nra-chief-says-obama-re-election-threatens-guns-rights/ - broken link)

I wouldn't expect any real protests at the NRA convention. Despite what some posters above might think, the reaction of most liberals to the NRA is a collective, "Meh."

/Gun slinging liberal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2011, 11:02 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,992,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
Sweeping new gun control measures are a dead issue in what is considered the mainstream of the Democratic Party. The NRA used the Obama election in 2008 to their advantage and raked in all kinds of additional revenue by pulling the "Democrats are gonna take your guns," fear card. Ammo companies took it to the next level and created a huge market shortage in bullets that pushed the price sky-high. And it looks like the fear wagon is up and runing again just in time for next years election. NRA Chief Says Obama Reelection Threatens Gun Rights. (http://arkansasnews.com/2011/04/19/nra-chief-says-obama-re-election-threatens-guns-rights/ - broken link)

I wouldn't expect any real protests at the NRA convention. Despite what some posters above might think, the reaction of most liberals to the NRA is a collective, "Meh."

/Gun slinging liberal.
ha ha ha, that is one funny article. They do have to ramp up the silliness, I guess. It is a real treat to watch people get all feared up that fall for all this stuff.

Plenty of so-called "liberals" (whatever that means) carry guns. I don't know a single fear monger definition of a liberal and don't think I have ever met one. Are there people out there that extreme on the Democrat side? Never met one.

Old 04-24-2011, 11:10 AM

12,391 posts, read 7,102,019 times
Quote:
I mean anyone can still go to a gun show and walk out with an M-16 or whatever is the latest weapon people love to show off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
I don't understand what those people have against keeping guns away from criminals and psychos.
These kinds of statements are the very reason the NRA needs to exist.

Most people have little to no understanding of firearm legislation, and are easily manipulated into believing that you can walk out of a gun show with a M16, or that there are not already laws to prevent "criminals and psychos" from legally acquiring firearms.

Old 04-24-2011, 11:10 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,961,711 times
Quote:
ha ha ha, that is one funny article. They do have to ramp up the silliness, I guess. It is a real treat to watch people get all feared up that fall for all this stuff.

Plenty of so-called "liberals" (whatever that means) carry guns. I don't know a single fear monger definition of a liberal and don't think I have ever met one. Are there people out there that extreme on the Democrat side? Never met one.
Oh, there are definitely left-wing nutters. The thing is that Democrats don't pay them them any attention, much less nominate them for elected office.

Old 04-24-2011, 11:21 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
These kinds of statements are the very reason the NRA needs to exist.

Most people have little to no understanding of firearm legislation, and are easily manipulated into believing that you can walk out of a gun show with a M16, or that there are not already laws to prevent "criminals and psychos" from legally acquiring firearms.
Most people don't care. Okay, not an M16, just an AR15, I was exaggerating for effect.

I have no problem with this gun thing going on in Pittsburgh. I just love the fear part of it all. I love the articles that get people all hanging on to their guns and running to stores to buy more ammo and more guns in some big panic. You have to admit, it is hilarious.

Old 04-24-2011, 12:34 PM

275 posts, read 628,718 times
It's good for the economy....I enjoy the car shows but lately, in the last few years, they are really boring. I will probably attend just because of all the attention. Are there going to be any exhibitions, shooting stuff, it just a bunch of displays.

Old 04-24-2011, 12:46 PM
gg

It is something to do. Maybe I should attend. Do I need to borrow a lifted pickup truck and play the part, or can I drive my European sports sedan? No seriously, maybe I will check it out. I can have an Obama pin on or something on my shirt.

Last edited by gg; 04-24-2011 at 01:42 PM..

Old 04-24-2011, 01:23 PM

1,437 posts, read 2,873,147 times
Quote:
It is something to do. Maybe I should attend. Do I need to borrow a lifted pickup truck and play the part, or can I drive my European sports sedan? No seriously, maybe I will check it out. I can have an Obama pin on or something.
You realize there are a lot of Democrats who own guns, right? Firearms aren't a partisan issue, except in where they're forced into being one.

Hell, the biggest gun collection of all my friends belongs to a guy who voted for Obama.

And for the record, if I decided to drive down to the convention, I'd be in my Saab, so no, you don't have to be a stereotype.

Old 04-24-2011, 07:17 PM

275 posts, read 628,718 times
If you plan on attending I would seriously try to blend in. One of the reasons I stopped going to gun shows was the stereotypical pot-bellied, bearded, flannel shirted old guy with no teeth.

For the record I am pro-gun but there are some extremist that are totally frightening.

Old 04-24-2011, 07:33 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitts10yrs View Post
If you plan on attending I would seriously try to blend in. One of the reasons I stopped going to gun shows was the stereotypical pot-bellied, bearded, flannel shirted old guy with no teeth.

For the record I am pro-gun but there are some extremist that are totally frightening.
I am pro gun, but pro education. Seems the NRA wouldn't like me much since I believe people should have to take a little class to have a concealed permit. The NRA hates required education, they just want anyone to have a gun and hope for the best. Seems the amount of accidents that happen all the time maybe a little education might serve well, but whatever. It isn't a high priority on my list and if they want to make mistakes, not much I can do about it. People shoot themselves, their kids and whoever all the time. Not much anyone can do about it other than go to the funerals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh