Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 11:42 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,874,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amans54 View Post
In my opinion Trader Joe's is rthe most popular store of Pittsburgh so you can go there and select your choice of groceries
Most popular? I've never heard of anyone except a few people on the internet talk about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 06:14 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,271,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amans54 View Post
In my opinion Trader Joe's is rthe most popular store of Pittsburgh so you can go there and select your choice of groceries

Trader Joes is ok, and has a neat variety of different food items.

But they don't carry brand name staples like Hormel products including Spam, and they don't carry soda pop, Bush beans or Chef Boyardee products either.

You'll still have to visit Wal-mart, Target or Giant Eagle for those provisions.

Old 05-09-2011, 07:19 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,995,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Trader Joes is ok, and has a neat variety of different food items.

But they don't carry brand name staples like Hormel products including Spam, and they don't carry soda pop, Bush beans or Chef Boyardee products either.

You'll still have to visit Wal-mart, Target or Giant Eagle for those provisions.
Remaining true to your username, I see.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:19 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,244,706 times
Giant Eagle does have a corner on the market, and very little competition. They have strong armed their way to get there, and yes they are overpriced.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:24 PM

2 posts, read 2,278 times
Default Giant Evil

Giant Eagle is overpriced, a monopoly, and has repeatedly violated noise laws in the city of Pittsburgh with installation of rooftop fans, disturbing the peace and quiet of people who live next to several of their stores. I would not live next door to a Giant Eagle, and I would not shop there. Its not Giant Eagle...its Giant Evil.

Old 05-10-2011, 02:34 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,874,377 times
It's Giant Exaggeration.

Old 05-10-2011, 02:37 AM

441 posts, read 767,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittsburghese View Post
Giant Eagle is overpriced, a monopoly, and has repeatedly violated noise laws in the city of Pittsburgh with installation of rooftop fans, disturbing the peace and quiet of people who live next to several of their stores. I would not live next door to a Giant Eagle, and I would not shop there. Its not Giant Eagle...its Giant Evil.
I actually have lived next door to a Giant Eagle. The only noise we had to deal with came from delivery trucks, and that couldn't really be helped.

While I have several complaints about Giant Eagle, I never understood the "they're overpriced" one. I admit the produce is overpriced, but the prices on the rest of their food items are within ten cents of other chain stores. Sometimes they're cheaper, sometimes more expensive. Their pharmacy is cheaper than any chain drug store pharmacy that I've checked. Their non-food items are reasonably-priced-to-cheaper than Target and Walmart (I was just in Target today to pick up some toiletries and supplies, and I only ended up with half of what I wanted because I knew for a fact that the other items were cheaper at Giant Eagle!). They've also got the best coupon policy in the area.

If you want real savings on food, then check out the small ethnic markets around the city. But compared to Shop N Save, Walmart, and Target, the prices are average

Old 05-10-2011, 05:32 AM

4,275 posts, read 7,637,030 times
If there were a Foodland or Kuhns near me, I'd shop there, along with Trader Joes and (on occasion) Giant Easgle, but looks like Big Bird is the main store (at least near me.)

Old 05-10-2011, 07:40 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,679,292 times
I've been frequenting a nearby brand new Shop n Save since it opened just less than 2 weeks ago. But it isn't an amazing savings over Giant Eagle that I have found. It's a mile closer than Giant Eagle and easier to get in and out of, that's what's working for me.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:11 AM

1,445 posts, read 1,974,141 times
We've been shopping mostly at Trader Joes lately and finding that we're spending a lot less than we had at Giant Eagle. We still need to stop at the Eagle occasionally for stuff like soap and TP but we'll probably switch to the new Target for that sort of stuff once that opens. I'm lazy enough that I don't like driving out of the city to shop so we never make it to places like Wallmart or Costco.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh