Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 06:20 AM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times

Advertisements

I see piles of these signs that look like more litter to me all over exits and on ramps, etc. everywhere. I don't mind people putting one on their own lawn, but is there any ordinances against piles of signs everywhere? It is so tacky, but I guess they think it makes some difference if they put up some dumb sign. I believe you are not allowed to put them on major highways, but I see people running for judge putting them there, so I guess they know the laws and feel it is legal?

I couldn't find the laws on this. I did notice the state came by the Delafield exit on 28 and mowed the lawn in their style, which ran over the signs and shredded them all over the place. I found that kind of funny, but a bit of a mess. Part of the landscape.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 06:28 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,257,754 times
There is a law which requires the candidates to take down the signs within a short time after the election, and there are fines attached to it.

The candidates-successful or otherwise- have been pretty good in recent years about the removal of these signs.

By this time next week, the vast majority of them will be gone.

Old 05-13-2011, 06:34 AM

4,684 posts, read 4,572,532 times
In general, I find PA's electoral campaign laws remarkably loose. Political advertising on public property (like roadway verges) is one thing, but I still can't quite get used to being greeted at the door of the polling place by sign-toting political operatives and campaign volunteers. Every other place I've lived in the US (not to mention elsewhere) prohibit this for the obvious reason that it can easily lend itself to voter intimidation. And that's not even to mention campaign finance, "walking-around money", and no system of initiative, referenda and recall. Boss Tweed would feel very much at home in 21st century PA.

Old 05-13-2011, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post

By this time next week, the vast majority of them will be gone.
Yeah and it will be clean for a little while until the next election which is right around the corner. I get so tired of seeing all these signs. I would like to know the law better and remove the ones that are breaking the law. I do believe on and off ramps are against the law, but I am not sure.

Old 05-13-2011, 06:40 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Public property is a free for all. That's why you see them at intersections. They have to take them down a certain amount of time after the election is over. They cost a lot of money so they do retrive them so they can be used in future elections.

Here's a pdf that references PennDot regulations. But the detailed regulations listed are for the local township:

http://www.co.berks.pa.us/Dept/Elect...egulations.pdf

Each township can have different laws for land that isn't owned by the state or private citizens.

Most important law I'm aware of: It's illegal to remove them or move them if you don't work for the candidate. How do I know? My child was brought home by the police once. Of course, they let my chid off because it was an innocent prank, but they most certainly wouldn't let someone off for maliciously messing with election signs. It can be interpretted as a felony depending on intent.

Last edited by Hopes; 05-13-2011 at 06:54 AM..

Old 05-13-2011, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I would like to know the law better and remove the ones that are breaking the law. I do believe on and off ramps are against the law, but I am not sure.
You can't do it. You can be arrested for messing with political signs. It's theft.

It doesn't matter if the sign is illegally placed. You could be accused of interferring with an election, surpressing political expression, etc.

If you believe a sign is breaking the law, call PennDOT, but don't remove it yourself.

Last edited by Hopes; 05-13-2011 at 06:53 AM..

Old 05-13-2011, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Public property is a free for all. That's why you see them at intersections. They have to take them down a certain amount of time after the election is over. They cost a lot of money so they do retrive them so they can be used in future elections.

Here's PennDot regulations for state property: http://www.co.berks.pa.us/Dept/Elect...egulations.pdf

Each township can have different laws for land that isn't owned by the state or private citizens.

Most important law I'm aware of: It's illegal to remove them or move them if you don't work for the candidate. How do I know? My child was brought home by the police once. Of course, they let my chid off because it was an innocent prank, but they most certainly wouldn't let someone off for maliciously messing with election signs. It's a felony.
Thank you. Am I reading the law wrong that says:

1) No political signs should be placed on any limited access highway/expressway (e.g. U.S. Routes 22, 33, 422, I-78, I-80, I-81, etc.), Interstate Highway, or on the ramps to said highways.

Does that mean the off ramp on Rt. 28 shouldn't have signs? There was a huge one on the off ramp the other day. There is also a huge sign on 28 itself. Are they legal? Who does anyone call about them if they are not legal?

I have a feeling I am reading the law wrong. I mean how can someone running for judge have illegally placed signs?

Old 05-13-2011, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Thank you. Am I reading the law wrong that says:

1) No political signs should be placed on any limited access highway/expressway (e.g. U.S. Routes 22, 33, 422, I-78, I-80, I-81, etc.), Interstate Highway, or on the ramps to said highways.

Does that mean the off ramp on Rt. 28 shouldn't have signs? There was a huge one on the off ramp the other day. There is also a huge sign on 28 itself. Are they legal? Who does anyone call about them if they are not legal?

I have a feeling I am reading the law wrong. I mean how can someone running for judge have illegally placed signs?
I'm searching for PennDot's own posting of this instead of a county's interpretation.

That document isn't clear on what's PennDot regulations and what's the Berk County regulations.

Perhaps the sign on 28 might be on private property. I don't know. I saw that sign yesterday but I can't remember exactly where I saw it.

All I know is that you can mess with them if you don't work for the campaign or don't have the legal authority to mess with them.

If it's on a state road, call PennDot.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:00 AM

4,684 posts, read 4,572,532 times
Quote:
I mean how can someone running for judge have illegally placed signs?
Depends on the sort of judge - if it's someone running for magistrate, there's a very good chance the candidate knows less about the law than you do.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:06 AM

I found this article that quotes a PennDot official stating PennDot is tollerant of political signs: » PennDOT Removes Political Signs on Election Day (http://www.kittanningpaper.com/2010/05/19/penndot-removes-political-signs-on-election-day/7046 - broken link)

Oh, oh! Here, here! This one actually references code (section 6125 of vehicle code): http://www2.co.berks.pa.us/elections...es/penndot.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh