Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 09:41 AM

2 posts, read 5,847 times

Advertisements

I am new to Pittsburgh and will be attending Cal University Pennsylvania. I plan to catch to commuter bus which picks up at the Amtrak station in downtown Pittsburgh.

Do you have any suggestions about neighborhoods to live in that are residential but near the Amtrak station or the freeway just in case I need to drive to school?

Just to clarify as far as rent is concerned under $1000 per month for a 2 bedroom is my preference but I will take a 1 bedroom if that is the only thing I can find. I also have a small dog (Chihuahua).

Thank you in advance for your assistance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 09:53 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times
You could live Downtown but rents tend to be pretty high and apartments are scarce. You could live on the North Side or in the Strip and the walk wouldn't be too bad, and there are also buses. The Strip has some of the same affordability/availability issues, but rents are lower on the North Side.

Another idea would be to live somewhere near the East Busway, because it goes to Penn Station (where your commuter bus would be going from). Living farther east might also make it somewhat easier to drive if you end up going that way. Along the East Busway, Shadyside is very popular with local students, as is Friendship which is a little less expensive but also very convenient for that East Busway station. If you really wanted to hedge your bets you could look in the greater Regent Square area, which has easy access to I-376 and also a couple convenient ways to access the East Busway (the P71, which goes through the neighborhood, plus some parts are within walking distance of the Hamnett Station on the Busway).

Old 06-03-2011, 09:54 AM

2,538 posts, read 4,712,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekelp View Post
I am new to Pittsburgh and will be attending Cal University Pennsylvania. I plan to catch to commuter bus which picks up at the Amtrak station in downtown Pittsburgh.

Do you have any suggestions about neighborhoods to live in that are residential but near the Amtrak station or the freeway just in case I need to drive to school?

Just to clarify as far as rent is concerned under $1000 per month for a 2 bedroom is my preference but I will take a 1 bedroom if that is the only thing I can find. I also have a small dog (Chihuahua).

Thank you in advance for your assistance.
It's a pretty decent hall to get down to Cal U from downtown. The Mon Valley transit bus use to take something like two hours to make the trip from downtown Pittsburgh all the way back to the University. You would probably be better off closer to the University, then take the bus back to the city only when needed. Your budget is actually fairly high for the valley, you should have no trouble finding a place for that price. The dog might be an issue though, but there are pet friendly apartments in the area. Most of the rentals in and around Cal are old houses converted in to apartments. There are a few formal apartment buildings, but they're difficult to find vacancies. If you do find a place, check references. There were a handful of slum lords and shady landlords in and around the University.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:56 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
OP, is there any particular reason why you're not living on or near campus? Cal U is what, 45 minutes away? That commute is going to be a bear on a regular basis.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:11 AM

101 posts, read 218,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
OP, is there any particular reason why you're not living on or near campus? Cal U is what, 45 minutes away? That commute is going to be a bear on a regular basis.
More than that.

Think well over an hour on a good day. Winter days it easily could be 2+ hours.

You'd be much better off doing what the majority of Cal U students do and living in Califorina. Possibly Charleroi, Bell Veron, Speers, ect. Avoid Monesson that's a very bad area.

Not to mention rent would be cheaper.

I did my undergrad at Cal U.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:43 AM

2 posts, read 5,847 times
Hello thank you all for your responses. In my previous post I didn't want to make it super long and present a lot of details. Essentially, I am moving here to be with my fiance who works at Pitt. I am going to Cal-U because no schools in the area offer my major except for Carlow but the tuition is too expensive. I will be going to school 2 days a week and from your comments it looks like driving will be the best option. Now I guess I am trying to find a rental location that is close to the freeway for me and still close enough to the U of Pitt for my fiance. Hope this provides the necessary information.....

Old 06-03-2011, 10:57 AM

354 posts, read 475,786 times
Century III mall area is about the best mid-way point. Up 885 for him and Mon-Fayette (PA 43) for you. Not really sure if thats the type of area you are looking for.

Last edited by Faer; 06-03-2011 at 11:06 AM..

Old 06-03-2011, 11:07 AM

101 posts, read 218,513 times
Hmm....

Monroeville area might work. She could grab 22 in to the city and you'd be able to grab the PA turnpike to 70 for Cal U.

Though there is a back way from the Mon Valley in to Oakland that's roughly 40-45 minutes.

A friend of mine took me that way once but it's been years....

Old 06-03-2011, 11:17 AM

264 posts, read 492,606 times
There's no real convenient way to get to Cal from Pittsburgh. Your GPS will probably suggest taking 43, which is a toll road that takes you right to Cal. Driving down 43 is easy, it's taking 51 to Jefferson Hills every day that will get annoying (lots of traffic/red lights just to get to the "not-free"way)

Your other option would be to take 79/70. You could exit 79 at the Houston exit and take 519/Brownlee to the Dunningsville exit of 70 and from there continue to California (or you could stay on 79 and connect to 70 in Washington if your adverse to taking back roads)

If your fiance is a Pitt employee she will be able to ride public transit for free. You could move somewhere along Route 51 that puts you closer to 43, and your fiance could take one of the buses that travel on the South Busway for a relatively easy commute into town.

Another option could be the Carnegie area. Easy access to 79, rapid public transit into town, and plenty of rental options within your price range.

You should focus more on your fiance's commute to Oakland every day than your twice-a-week trip to Cal. Unless you move out near the 43/51 interchange or down 79 towards Bridgeville or Canonsburg, your commute is going to be a solid 45-60 minutes, no matter where you live. On the other hand, if you move to one of those areas, it's your fiance that's going to have to deal with the long commute. Yours will be virtually traffic free once you get outside the main suburbs, hers will consist of more time sitting in traffic/longer bus rides.

Old 06-03-2011, 12:30 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times
If it is a full week for Pitt and only two days for Cal-U, I'd repeat my suggestion of something in the Regent Square area. That is a convenient bus ride to Pitt, and on the right side of the Squirrel Hill tunnel for the drive to Cal-U.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh