Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2012, 12:32 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,899,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
As I noted in another thread, I find it pretty surprising Schoch forcefully made that argument, and I hope it means the Corbett Administration is starting to rally behind a balanced solution to the transportation funding crisis.

And yes, it would be nice if more people in the two large metros understood what was really going on in these state transportation funding issues, because we could get much better policy if we acted together.
Philadelphia is starting to sit up and take notice as well

Number of Days Gov Tom Corbett still has no Transportation Plan....

....Like I said before all it will take is for SEPTA to start in with the service cuts and it will be all out war on Corbett from the Eastern side of the state....The Educational cuts will be bad enough for him come election time, eastern PA is taking that much more seriously than the Western side of PA....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2012, 02:50 PM

14 posts, read 15,843 times
Quote:
In the long run I would love to see us get more control over our transportation funding in the Pittsburgh Metro/Allegheny County. Problem is we are a cash-cow for the rural parts of the state, and they won't let us go easily.
Hmm. Its intreresting because here in Minnesota. Its Minneapolis and St. Paul that make the money AND spend it. Greater Minnesota is pretty much an afterthought in EVERY respect when it comes to spending. Especially Northern Minnesota!. Yeesh. I just find it odd that a fiscally sound transit plan isnt already in place. Reguardless of who it is (i technically dont really follow one party or the other, i find that its usually just dumbass (red) vs. dumbass (blue) anyways) or thier policies it just seems insane to me. But whatever, Pittsburgh here i come anyways. haha

Old 02-26-2012, 03:46 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,029,222 times
Few people have claimed the state government in PA is exceptionally well-functioning, and delaying serious action on important issues is one of their specialties.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:37 PM

1,334 posts, read 1,807,801 times
Here is an excerpt from a Wednesday article in the Post-Gazette:

---
Kevin Harley, Mr. Corbett's spokesman, issued this statement Wednesday afternoon:

"The taxpayers of Pennsylvania cannot continue to spend millions of dollars correcting the mistakes of an authority over which they have little control. We agree that a solution must be found. But before Pennsylvania's taxpayers are asked to fork over any more money, we need to see what sort of cost savings are accomplished in this summer's Port Authority contract talks."
---

Old 02-29-2012, 05:11 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,029,222 times
Call me crazy, but I find that relatively encouraging. The old line was "That's a purely local problem". Admitting the problem needs a solution and suggesting it is at least conceivable the state will restore PAT's funding is a big change, even if it is made conditional on successful contract renegotiations (which, by the way, I think would be a good thing anyway).

Of course in a sane world, people would immediately point out that the taxpayers of Allegheny County are giving much more transportation money to the state than they are getting back in terms of state transportation funding.

Old 02-29-2012, 05:50 PM

Ive been following this Non Stop....and i truly believe if Corbett drops the ball here hes Most Definitely finished....way to much outrage to his "Do nothing, Cut everything" stance....

He needs something to counter the educational cuts which will be thrown back up in his face come campaign time....2 huge negatives and no positives is not a good look a year into your term.....

Old 02-29-2012, 05:56 PM

802 posts, read 1,321,958 times
Quote:
Few people have claimed the state government in PA is exceptionally well-functioning, and delaying serious action on important issues is one of their specialties.
I agree with you. If the idiots in Harrisburg were paid based on their accomplishments and action on important issues, they would get less than minimum wage.

With reference to those who represent the rural counties in Pennsylvania, I don't think they realize how much in state taxes are collected from workers in the two biggest cities.

Not only that, but Pennsylvania also benefits from tourists who visit the attractions in Philadelphia and Pittsburgh. I'm sure they get a portion of the tax that hotels charge.

Old 03-01-2012, 07:27 AM

1,146 posts, read 1,414,136 times
Quote:
Call me crazy, but I find that relatively encouraging. The old line was "That's a purely local problem". Admitting the problem needs a solution and suggesting it is at least conceivable the state will restore PAT's funding is a big change, even if it is made conditional on successful contract renegotiations (which, by the way, I think would be a good thing anyway).

Of course in a sane world, people would immediately point out that the taxpayers of Allegheny County are giving much more transportation money to the state than they are getting back in terms of state transportation funding.
Ok, crazy

I guess it is encouraging from the standpoint that the Governor knows of the situation going on in this area but it sounds like to me proper funding is going to rely on the positive outcome of contract talks this summer. What outcome would appease Corbett? What is the baseline of expectations? Is something waiting in the wings that if the talks are positive, funding would just happen? What if the outcome of the talks resolves nothing or is not enough to appease Corbett? I guess PAT would be left for dead then. As I said before, it seems like Corbett is giving PAT one last shot to fix on its own before Corbett basically says, "You're gone. Go away."

Summer is just cutting everything too close.

Old 03-01-2012, 07:36 AM

4,684 posts, read 4,574,950 times
Quote:
Admitting the problem needs a solution

State transportation is on a twelve-step program now?

"My name is Tom. And I'm a siderodromophobe."

Old 03-01-2012, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmantz65 View Post
Ok, crazy

I guess it is encouraging from the standpoint that the Governor knows of the situation going on in this area but it sounds like to me proper funding is going to rely on the positive outcome of contract talks this summer. What outcome would appease Corbett? What is the baseline of expectations? Is something waiting in the wings that if the talks are positive, funding would just happen? What if the outcome of the talks resolves nothing or is not enough to appease Corbett? I guess PAT would be left for dead then. As I said before, it seems like Corbett is giving PAT one last shot to fix on its own before Corbett basically says, "You're gone. Go away."

Summer is just cutting everything too close.
Then the people will tell Corbett "Your Gone, Go Away"....He works for the people of PA, not the other way around.

Public Transit is not just something you can say "Your Gone, Go Away".....Unless you really couldn't careless about the Tax Paying citizens that rely on the service. That's Ballsy.

Plus PAT has been doing nothing but reforming they've been cutting service and re-org'ing for the last 10 years....What is the governor blind all of sudden.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh