Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2012, 12:26 PM

1,776 posts, read 2,698,690 times

Advertisements

It would also be a chance for PAT to shed it's name. As dumb as that is, a new brand can do wonders for PR.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 01:09 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,898,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronPGH View Post
It would also be a chance for PAT to shed it's name. As dumb as that is, a new brand can do wonders for PR.
One has to think what the meaning behind "Port Authority" was in the sense of ground transit?????

I think PAT or the new Regional Transit Authority should adopt the "Connect" branding...same branding as used on the ConnectCard....Connect Bus, Connect Train.....Connect!..(No Use of the word "Transit", just Connect)....I like it.

Old 03-21-2012, 01:51 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,985,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
One has to think what the meaning behind "Port Authority" was in the sense of ground transit?????

I think PAT or the new Regional Transit Authority should adopt the "Connect" branding...same branding as used on the ConnectCard....Connect Bus, Connect Train.....Connect!..(No Use of the word "Transit", just Connect)....I like it.
That sound so much nicer than the typical acronyms these agencies use. I approve!

Old 04-11-2012, 08:54 AM

Sorry Folks, but The Burgh is DOOMED!

The cuts are all but certain to go through...Governor DoNothing couldn't careless less about the effects the PAT cuts are going to have on Pittsburgh's Economy...

What is 4 more cents a gallon, like that going to help or hurt anything...When gas will be over 5$ a gallon, people will be driving further, sitting in more traffic, and unable to find parking...Its totally a 'Cutting off your nose to spite your face" situation.

He's a piece of work, seriously.

Quote:
With average gas prices hovering around $4 a gallon, Gov. Tom Corbett said on Tuesday that the time may not be right to impose more fees on motorists to boost transportation funding.....

One of the commission's key proposals recommended lifting the cap on wholesale gasoline prices. That would ultimately generate an extra $1.4 billion annually, the commission said, but PennDOT officials estimated it also could raise prices at the pump by 4 cents per gallon each year for five years......

Corbett said he is "not prepared to do anything" to help Port Authority until he "sees movement" in contract negotiations between the agency and its largest labor union, the Amalgamated Transit Union Local 85. The union's pact expires June 30.

Read more: Corbett wary of new fee for transportation - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review Corbett wary of new fee for transportation - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review
And this whole "Waiting to see what the union gives back" is just a stalling tactic on his part, and something to blame come time to run for re-election...

Boy I hope Pittsburghers aren't Dumb enough to fall for that line once he start spouting that BS.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:05 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,026,276 times
I still think that is better than his previous line (which was that PAT's problems were a local problem). Again, it gives him a way to claim to his Tea-Party-type supporters that his strategy of delaying action provided a "win" (in the form of what he will describe as coerced labor concessions), in the event he finally authorizes action.

That said, it is clear Corbett would prefer to do nothing if he thought he could get away with it, and will try to minimize whatever does happen. So all we can do is try to make it clear to him that he won't get away with doing nothing, and hope he can be dragged kicking and screaming to some sort of stop-gap measure.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:14 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,884,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Sorry Folks, but The Burgh is DOOMED!
And this whole "Waiting to see what the union gives back" is just a stalling tactic on his part, and something to blame come time to run for re-election...

Boy I hope Pittsburghers aren't Dumb enough to fall for that line once he start spouting that BS.
I don't think it's so out of line to place a fire under the union to get them to agree to greater concessions rather then just agree to increased funding without stipulation. Keeping one's hand close is good card playing at times. This of course presumes that one has cards in mind to play which hopefully is the case.

I would hope that transit riders would also see that their costs to ride need to increase to reflect the increasing cost of fuel and other costs as much as car drivers need to acknowledge that infrastructure needs to be paid for at increased cost as well - though I constantly hear of taxing individual vehicles more but don't dare continue increasing transit ride costs.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:17 AM

1,776 posts, read 2,698,690 times
Gas taxes haven't gone up for a long time though, right? I know transit fares have certainly increased recently, already.

I agree with you on the union concessions thing though.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:20 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,026,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
though I constantly hear of taxing individual vehicles more but don't dare continue increasing transit ride costs.
PAT has already enacted several fare increases recently, and has announced its latest increase will likely hold even if its state funding gets restored.

Don't get me wrong: I'm fine with cost-driven fare increases, and with achieving greater operating efficiency through tough labor negotiations. So is PAT's current management, because they have been doing all that already.

But I think it is all-too-easy for anti-transit politicians to move the goalposts on those issues, refusing to acknowledge any progress that actually gets made and continuing to oppose transit funding indefinitely.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
PAT has already enacted several fare increases recently.

Don't get me wrong: I'm fine with cost-driven fare increases, and with achieving greater operating efficiency through tough labor negotiations. But I think it is all-too-easy for anti-transit politicians to move the goalposts on those issues, refusing to acknowledge any progress that actually gets made and continuing to oppose transit funding indefinitely.
And PAT getting ready to increase the fares once again...Pittsburgh will have the highest Public Transit fares in the nation with this next round.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:36 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,884,976 times
Are fares the same all the time? It should be higher at peak (rush hour) times and cheaper other times. And no, I'm not saying to just keep jacking up fare prices but fare raising is a legitimate conversation to have when applicable and especially as fuel prices continue to raise.

Is there a comparative list of average fares for mass transit by city anywhere?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh