Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2008, 10:31 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times

Advertisements

I was interested to see Summerset was attracting people from out-of-state, which makes sense to me ("new urbanism" is growing quite popular, and Summerset is also well-located for people coming to work Downtown or in Oakland).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2008, 08:15 AM

2,902 posts, read 10,071,152 times
So Pittsburgh is plagued with population misconceptions. I think most have been debunked on this very forum, and don't get me wrong, there are population facts, too. For example, Pittsburgh is still losing population (although modestly). The biggest reason is because of our population demographics. There are not enough women of child-bearing age to offset the large elderly population that is dying. HOWEVER, that is slowly but surely reversing. Also, Pittsburgh does not have much of a in and out- migration difference. That's also not the problem. And the YOUNG PEOPLE ARE NOT LEAVING IN DROVES. That is also far from the truth anymore.

This article talks about the education level in Pittsburgh and the largely growing sectors of technology and robotics and how many local economist believe that the days of Pittsburgh population loss is numbered.

Another wild misconception, I have NO idea where it came from, is that everyone that comes to Carnegie Mellon leaves after graduation. Well, CMU is ON RECORD in saying that that is completely not true and that more of its graduates stay in the area than originally came from Pittsburgh (also mentioned in the article).

It also claims that in-migration should be exceeding out-migration within a few years due to the large and lucrative sectors that ARE growing, which I full-heartedly believe. Now, whether or not this balance can also make up for the death to birth ratio is still unknown. I imagine that even if Pittsburgh gains more people than loses soon, there will still be more deaths than births for several more years thereafter.

If trends continue, Portland Oregon will surpass Pittsburgh for the 22nd largest region in the country by about 2010. Let's halt this!

Rosy robotics future may boost region's population

Old 03-28-2008, 08:46 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times
As I noted elsewhere, I'm actually not all that concerned about Pittsburgh dropping a couple more slots in the rankings. What matters to me is the quality of life in Pittsburgh for the people who do live here, and I think an improving quality of life in the region is consistent with Pittsburgh still slipping a bit more down the rankings as it finally unwinds the last remnants of the steel-era peak population (through mortality and Sun Belt migration).

Of course, there would be some point at which Pittsburgh would fall too far to maintain the current level of amenities available. I just don't think we are close to that point yet, and the trends suggest a leveling off well before we would be.

Old 03-28-2008, 09:30 AM

803 posts, read 2,970,477 times
Actually, even as a newcomer, I'd recommend people KEEP talking trash about the 'Burgh... let's keep it a secret, just how liveable it is, so that we don't get overrun with expatriate New Yorkers & Californians!!!....LMAO!!!!!!

JUST KIDDING, People!!!!!!!

Old 03-28-2008, 06:43 PM

BTW, 2007 compared to 2006 was a much better year for Pittsburgh when it came to job growth. We are no longer in the bottom ring of job growth which may surprise you since there is so much negativity surrounding job growth in Pittsburgh.

In fact, in 2007, we were getting close to the national average. Is that improvement? Most definitely. Is there a lot more work that needs to be done and far more room for improvement? Absolutely. But Pittsburgh isn't a shrinking and dying city as some people want to believe. Far from it.

Pittsburgh is hardly leading the nation when it comes to growth, but no northeast city is. We DID perform better than Los Angeles, Miami, San Diego, Tampa, Cleveland, Detroit, St. Louis, Minneapolis, and Philadelphia. Surprised? I bet you are.

Furthermore, we were pretty much neck-to-neck with job growth in Chicago, DC, Milwaukee, and Cincinnati. In case you were wondering, the most dramatic growth was most definitely in Texas and the Pacific Northwest (Portland and Seattle).

Starting in the first quarter of 2008, our ranking has improved even more, we are now edging out ahead of Chicago and Baltimore.

Pittsburgh is still growing jobs at a rate slower than the national average, but due to the fact that Pittsburgh is improving and the national average has dramatically dropped, they are more even than they have been for many years.

The worst scenario is that this looming recession hits Pittsburgh hard like it did in 2001, that could backtrack us quite a few steps (like it did in 2001!). I hope we continue to remain fairly unscathed.

Last edited by guylocke; 03-28-2008 at 06:54 PM..

Old 03-28-2008, 06:51 PM

Here are some other facts that might downright SHOCK you.

In 2006, Pittsburgh only created 5,000 new jobs. It was much better in 2007 (see above post, 2007 had over 8,000 new jobs compared to 2006), but this is for comparison sake.

However, in 2006, there were over SIX HUNDRED THOUSAND (624,000 to be exact!) jobs in Pittsburgh for which new people were hired.

You didn't read that wrong. That is a very large reason why young people "aren't leaving in droves." There are many people retiring out of the Pittsburgh work force, other people are getting fired, other people quit voluntarily, some were laid off.

But you can't see 5,000 and think, oh my god, how could I come to Pittsburgh to work if only 5,000 new jobs were created in an entire year!

Further, in 2006 in Pittsburgh, there were about 33,000 jobs open at any given time and further statistics show that young people are indeed snatching up a lot of these jobs.

So while we need NEW jobs to grow as a city, which is an inherent and cold fact, there are thousands upon thousands of good jobs right here- right now! People need to know that, don't give up on your job searches.

Last edited by guylocke; 03-28-2008 at 07:01 PM..

Old 03-28-2008, 06:59 PM

4,539 posts, read 12,406,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by By~Tor View Post
Actually, even as a newcomer, I'd recommend people KEEP talking trash about the 'Burgh... let's keep it a secret, just how liveable it is, so that we don't get overrun with expatriate New Yorkers & Californians!!!....LMAO!!!!!!

JUST KIDDING, People!!!!!!!
TOO LATE!!!! I already have my EYE on Pittsburgh. And after I come, another million Californians will FOLLOW! BWAH-HAH-HAH-HA!!!

And when we come we're bringing our large inflated California-sized home equity with us. We'll buy up entire neighborhoods, like REGENT PARK!

Old 03-28-2008, 07:05 PM

BTW, did everyone realize that last year Carnegie Mellon University was finally recognized as "new ivy"?

There are 25 schools in the nation in which their academic clout and integrity are considered on par with the 8 Ivy League schools and Carnegie Mellon is one of them.

This isn't a surprise, but it's nice to get the recognition.

Old 04-30-2008, 11:59 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,396,829 times
The Denis Theater in Mt. Lebanon is going to be rehabbed and reopened as a community center/coffee shop/movie house: Plans in place to bring movies and more back to Denis Theatre (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08120/877322-55.stm - broken link)

Welcome to the Denis! | The Denis Theatre Foundation

Old 05-06-2008, 04:12 PM

Sorry all, I've been slacking a bit. Not to mention that MAJOR news has been sorta bland recently. Here is a great link that shows renderings and plans for what Point Park is going to do to downtown, called The Academic Village.

You HAVE to see it to believe it. It will literally transform downtown.

About the Academic Village-The Academic Village at Point Park University
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh