Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2011, 02:31 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,092,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
The reverse-swastikas in question actually make some sense given the large circular tile on the wall near the doorway (last picture). That's a Fountain of Life (two peacocks on either side of what looks like a baptismal font). As you may recall, the reverse-swastikas were part of a set of various ancient crosses. So apparently whoever was choosing all this was really into old Christian iconography.
Reverse swastikas, that's right. I don't know why I forgot they were reversed--I remember thinking that was an interesting feature back when you posted that thread. Anyway, I love that sort of detail. I'd love to see another photo of the Fountain of Life is you have one. As you can see from the photo below, I like having things like that in my house, too (you can sort of make out a pedastal with a somewhat similar motif in the background behind me). And as you can see we have stone lions to also give us that feeling of old icons. Love that kind of thing!

Last edited by Caladium; 09-23-2011 at 02:40 PM.. Reason: Not sure if my lions are Christian icons...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2011, 03:21 PM

487 posts, read 1,380,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I'm feeling guilty reading and enjoying this thread without reciprocating, so here are some pictures:
Beautiful home. Really lovely.

Old 09-23-2011, 03:44 PM

995 posts, read 1,115,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bboy36win View Post
Brian, that is a gorgeous house. My grandparents had one like it (much smaller though) with a wide wrap-around porch very similar to yours. They had 3 porch swings, one on each side. I can remember swinging on them when I was small, and smelling the climbing-roses covering a lattice near the front steps.
I hadn't remembered the roses until I saw your porch and the memory just popped in there.

Old 09-23-2011, 04:36 PM

73 posts, read 120,346 times
What a wonderful home, Brian! And let me thank you, as a fellow citizen, for taking the time and spending the money to add an ornamental fence to your property. I know the added cost and maintenance are hard to justify sometimes. But those decorative touches add to the public space around your home as much as they add to your home's beauty. So thanks from those of us on the outside, looking in.

Old 09-23-2011, 04:46 PM

995 posts, read 1,115,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobick View Post
Grabbed these off another neighbor's Facebook page. As you can see the decorations are flexible enough to support a successful Steeler season.
Ohhh.... love them! Thank you

Old 09-23-2011, 05:27 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,037,720 times
I have to agree that the fence is really attractive. So much better than chain link!

Old 09-23-2011, 05:43 PM

128 posts, read 201,390 times
Brian, all I have to say is wow! I love the colors you chose, the fabulous porch and what looks like a roomy back yard - I'd love to entertain out there! Houses like yours and the work people put in to them is the reason I love this neighborhood!

Old 09-23-2011, 05:53 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,026,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Reverse swastikas, that's right. I don't know why I forgot they were reversed--I remember thinking that was an interesting feature back when you posted that thread.
I've gotten in the habit of highlighting that just so I don't have to go into a more involved explanation of how they aren't actually Nazi symbols (people seem to intuitively get that from the "reverse").

Quote:
I'd love to see another photo of the Fountain of Life is you have one. As you can see from the photo below, I like having things like that in my house, too (you can sort of make out a pedastal with a somewhat similar motif in the background behind me). And as you can see we have stone lions to also give us that feeling of old icons. Love that kind of thing!
Sweet lion! I like that he is pretty fierce (the calm and/or cutesy ones are OK too, but I like an ornamental lion with a bit of an edge to him).

Anyway, I'll get a closeup of the Fountain of Life sometime this weekend--it is a pretty cool piece.

Old 09-23-2011, 05:55 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,026,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bboy36win View Post
Thanks! We always liked it walking around the neighborhood, and are excited to be in it.

Old 09-23-2011, 05:55 PM

12,390 posts, read 7,098,861 times
As great as Brian's home looks in the photos, it looks even better in person. It's hard to see all the beautiful detail the house has in the pictures. It truly is one of the real gems of Regent Square.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh