Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why do People Litter?
They're Morons 32 65.31%
They're Yinzers 7 14.29%
They're Just Keeping the Place "Real" (Whatever That Means) 4 8.16%
All of the Above 6 12.24%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 06:45 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times

Advertisements

I don't litter, hate people that do, especially cigarette smokers, probably at the top of my moron list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2011, 06:46 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
You could start an awareness group, and start education campaigns or renting billboards for it. Seems like an interesting undertaking.
Polish Hill has a community group and a blog, does it not? Get in touch with someone to put together a monthly litter pick-up. Complaining here isn't going to do much good, but in your own community you may be able to get the support of local businesses (to donate supplies or refreshments,) and churches and schools will be a good source of extra hands.

Old 09-28-2011, 06:47 AM

802 posts, read 1,321,492 times
You should have included "lazy" on the poll. I've seen people throw trash on the sidewalk when there was a trash can not even 5 feet away.

Old 09-28-2011, 06:48 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
I must say this (again): I didn't notice litter until you moved here and began ranting about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
Same here. It was quite a "damn, they're right, this place DOES look like Mumbai" moment.

I moved here from NoVA, which has lollipops and gumdrops growing out of the roadsides instead of cigarette butts, weeds, and plastic bags, so it was an immediate culture shock for me. Just about everything else about this place has been a major improvement in my quality-of-life, but I will never just "accept" littering here as being something that can't be helped. I still remember making a delivery not long ago to Magee Hospital in Oakland. While walking up Halket Street across from the hospital this jerk in front of me just dropped his plastic fitness water bottle and kept walking (in front of his children!) I was tempted to pick the bottle up and throw it at the back of his head, but I was on the clock.

Old 09-28-2011, 06:49 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
I think you missed the real reason. If a person has no respect for themselves, they certainly have no respect for their surroundings. Therefore, if they have something to throw away, they little. East Liberty is one of the worst places for litter I have ever seen in the US. So many people that just don't care. Hope they move out someday.

So my answer is

E) They have no respect for themselves, so they don't care about their surroundings.

Old 09-28-2011, 06:53 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
As I said I apologize for the bluntness of this thread. It just irks me because today is garbage day in my part of town, and it took me all of one minute to plop my trash bag along the curb. Granted it would be quicker to just chuck stuff out my window, too, as I was driving, but the fact that so many people could have such little pride in their community irks me.

Old 09-28-2011, 07:35 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,675,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie1125 View Post
You should have included "lazy" on the poll. I've seen people throw trash on the sidewalk when there was a trash can not even 5 feet away.
i think there is a weird sense of rebellion in that kind of behavior. it can't even be classified as laziness when someone litters RIGHT NEXT to a trash can, which happens all the time. either people think they are super badass for littering, or it honestly just doesn't occur to them that they shouldn't drop their garbage on the street.

i have friends who regularly pick up trash in their neighborhood (stanton heights) and have had people berate them for acting "better" than other people, and have had people litter right in front of them while they were doing it.

i've never had anyone react negatively to me picking up trash where i live (in fact i've had people stop and praise or thank me for cleaning up lots and whatnot), but people do litter constantly (and don't pick up after their dogs, ewww).

Old 09-28-2011, 07:54 AM

116 posts, read 212,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
i think there is a weird sense of rebellion in that kind of behavior. it can't even be classified as laziness when someone litters RIGHT NEXT to a trash can, which happens all the time. either people think they are super badass for littering, or it honestly just doesn't occur to them that they shouldn't drop their garbage on the street.

i have friends who regularly pick up trash in their neighborhood (stanton heights) and have had people berate them for acting "better" than other people, and have had people litter right in front of them while they were doing it.

i've never had anyone react negatively to me picking up trash where i live (in fact i've had people stop and praise or thank me for cleaning up lots and whatnot), but people do litter constantly (and don't pick up after their dogs, ewww).
If you want to make a litterer mad, pick up their litter right after the act. They sure get upset.

Old 09-28-2011, 08:04 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BettyTheHun View Post
If you want to make a litterer mad, pick up their litter right after the act. They sure get upset.
I did this yesterday at a bus stop. This smoker flicked his cigarette, still lit, into the street. There were no cars coming, so I stepped on it, picked it up, and threw it in the trash receptacle he was leaning on. One of the other people gave me a "thumbs up," and that really bothered the smoker.

Old 09-28-2011, 08:17 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
They just don't give a f*ck. I don't think it's about pride about where they live or anything, I'm sure their houses are just as dirty. When you don't care about anything you do dumb things.
This, I suspect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh