Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2011, 06:42 AM

268 posts, read 374,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
Colleges continue to raise to tuition because they CAN. The government keeps subsidizing colleges and they keep raising tuition.
College is a business like any other business. The Presidents and Chancellors of the colleges and universities are like the CEO's and Presidents of the institutions these protesters are protesting. "Too big to fail" is the mantra. Right now, I believe we are in an "Education Bubble" that will eventually burst. The value of a degree has also declined. I know some schools locally that have such a generous alumni base, yet they still want more taxpayer dollars
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 06:46 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
And I have no sympathy with whatever happens to people when they actively choose to engage in felonies.
Ooh, a "felony". Scary!

That term originally meant a crime serious enough to allow confiscation of land or goods. In the United States it now means a crime serious enough to allow imprisonment of over one year. Strangely, it does not mean a crime punishable by summary execution.

By the way, I suspect many of the crimes you are citing would actually be misdemeanors, not felonies. For example, I believe intentionally damaging property is a misdemeanor in Pennsylvania if the damage is less than $5,000.

In short, I don't think (mis)using the word "felony" is going to help you justify machine-gunning petty vandals.

Old 10-12-2011, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
There's always that whole pesky 5th Amendment thing where people can't be gunned down Judge Dredd style due to that whole due process hickydoo.
Bah, we can't let the rule of law stand in the way of defending the law!

Old 10-12-2011, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike02 View Post
The value of a degree has also declined.
Sorta, except the value of being without a degree has also declined. Another chart worth keeping in mind:

So as a young person looking at all this, you would conclude you are likely screwed if you don't get a college degree, but you may still be screwed (and in debt) if you do get a college degree.

That may even be enough to make someone feel like protesting!

Old 10-12-2011, 06:59 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,720,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
So as a young person looking at all this, you would conclude you are likely screwed if you don't get a college degree, but you may still be screwed (and in debt) if you do get a college degree.

That may even be enough to make someone feel like protesting!
So what you're saying is that the present and future of an entire generation of humans is completely screwed and thus they protesting about it? WHAT A BUNCH OF UNGRATEFUL HIPPIE LOW LIFE NON BOOT STRAPPY SCUMBAGS, NEVER BEFORE IN HUMAN HISTORY HAS SUCH AN EVENT HAPPENED

Old 10-12-2011, 07:40 AM

53 posts, read 124,115 times
Saw this today...lots of neat charts to fight over and the obligatory pic of Gordon Gekko.

http://www.businessinsider.com/what-...t-2011-10?op=1

Old 10-12-2011, 07:56 AM

By the way, I suspect the people who rah-rah police brutality sound very tough and strong in their heads, but to me they always sound fearful and weak:

"OMG! Here comes a YOUNG ADULT with a can of SPRAYPAINT! Shoot her! Shoot her! Why won't anybody shoot her?!? Why won't a big strong man in a uniform wrap me in his arms and protect me with his giant gun?"

Seriously, people, get a grip. It is more than a little pathetic to demand a police state at your first sight of petty vandalism.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 999cm999 View Post
Saw this today...lots of neat charts to fight over and the obligatory pic of Gordon Gekko.
Nice link. I can at least respect the people who claim these developments are the way things should be, although I think those people are being very short-sighted. But the people who claim everything is the way it has always been are just lying.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:17 AM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 999cm999 View Post

CHARTS: Here's What The Wall Street Protesters Are So Angry About...
This is what I have been saying about education and also in all industries across the board. For some reason many are okay with the top living large while everything else falls apart. It sure is interesting that people stick up for the top 1%? I don't think I will ever understand it. Guess if they don't stick up for them, they feel the American dream is lost or they might be delusional enough to feel they are part of that 1%. :roll eyes: Yeah, right.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:28 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,720,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
they feel the American dream is lost or they might be delusional enough to feel they are part of that 1%. :roll eyes: Yeah, right.
As odd as this might sound to people, that is absolutely what is going on and the banks have openly discussed the fact that they keep their power just because of this ridiculous mindset. What seems like a ridiculous conspiracy theory is actually true, I encourage anyone who supports the 1% to read this memo that was leaked from Citigroup (it's a PDF):

Citigroup memo

Here is a particular part of interest:

Quote:
Perhaps one reason that societies allow plutonomy, is because enough of the electorate believe they have a chance of becoming a Pluto-participant. Why kill it off, if you can join it? In a sense this is the embodiment of the “American dream”. But if voters feel they cannot participate, they are more likely to divide up the wealth pie, rather than aspire to being truly rich.
A great read, it openly admits that there is a plutocracy going on in our society and how those in power will benefit from it. To those who are still defending the 1%, here is concrete info that you are being heavily duped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh