Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 12:58 PM

264 posts, read 492,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
There are 3, Pitt, PSU, and Temple.
UPenn?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 01:05 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestLibertyAve View Post
UPenn?
For football?

Old 11-02-2011, 01:08 PM

4,275 posts, read 7,632,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
I actually enjoy football, but not the people that JUST WON'T SHUT UP ABOUT IT.

Also, the lead "story" on the news the other day was a reporter asking drunk yinzers in a bar what they thought about the Stillers game (SPOILER: they liked it). Really?
I still cannot forget that the news had to ask some of the Steelers a few years ago what they passed out to the trick or treaters on Halloween. I mean, really???

Old 11-02-2011, 01:13 PM

1,125 posts, read 2,349,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
I actually enjoy football, but not the people that JUST WON'T SHUT UP ABOUT IT.

Also, the lead "story" on the news the other day was a reporter asking drunk yinzers in a bar what they thought about the Stillers game (SPOILER: they liked it). Really?
Come on, I had that recorded and everything and now it is spoiled lmao, that is sad when the lead story is asking a bunch of drunk fans though, come on at least get the players or coaches if nothing else

Old 11-02-2011, 01:19 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,704,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeinGlanzendMotorrad View Post
People up in Western New York go ape**** over the Bills.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-burgher View Post
I think it's a bit worse in Pittsburgh than other cities.
100 percent correct. We just spent time in NYC, a city with two NFL teams, two NHL teams, and two NBA teams. You can go anywhere in that city on any game day and you would never know it. I'm a soccer fanatic and a huge hockey fan, but I in no way let that fanaticism take over my life like Steeler fans do. Someone said "just don't watch it".....yeah right. It's every where you go. People seem to think that's all anyone wants to talk about.

Old 11-02-2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post
I still cannot forget that the news had to ask some of the Steelers a few years ago what they passed out to the trick or treaters on Halloween. I mean, really???
They did that here, too. They found out what John Elway was giving out. I can't for the life of me remember now. It was that profound.

Old 11-02-2011, 01:35 PM

1,125 posts, read 2,349,004 times
If you want annoying football culture go to Morgantown. I still remember hearing all kind of New Jersey kids fantasizing over Sanchez in ways that disturbed me. Reason that the presence in cities such as NYC or Chicago isn't as noticeable is due to the population being so large. In NYC you could have 4 times the population of the City of Pittsburgh (roughly 1.2 million) be Yinzer like Jets fans and that is just about 1/8 of the population. Also, the high immigrant population likely results in the larger cities having less of a following (a big reason why Los Angeles doesn't have an NFL team while small cities such as Buffalo, Cleveland, and Pittsburgh do)

Old 11-02-2011, 10:07 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,231,669 times
The Pittsburgh Steelers have been arguably the most successful NFL franchise since 1970. They have brought a lot of pride to the region. Other cities larger and smaller only WISH they had as much success. So the hoopla is understandable. Don't think for a minute that you would not see the same type of fanaticism if other cities had this unprecedented success in the last forty years. Having said that, there is much more to Pittsburgh than football and many who have lived here for a long time are either indifferent or do not care at all about the team's success. They would just as soon pop in a movie or go to see a play on Sunday.

Last edited by nuwaver88; 11-02-2011 at 10:20 PM..

Old 11-02-2011, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuwaver88 View Post
The Pittsburgh Steelers have been arguably the most successful NFL franchise since 1970. They have brought a lot of pride to the region. Other cities larger and smaller only WISH they had as much success. So the hoopla is understsndable. Don't think for a minute that you would not see the same type of fanaticism if other cities had this unprecedented success in the last forty years. Having said that, there is much more to Pittsburgh than football and many who have lived here for a long time are either indifferent or do not care at all about the team's success. They would just as soon pop in a movie or go to see a play on Sunday.
Ah, the old "jealousy" rationale!

Old 11-02-2011, 10:25 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,231,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Ah, the old "jealousy" rationale!
This is true. A lot of the hatred towards the Steelers and their fans is jealousy. It is the same with the New York Yankees. People get sick of seeing the same teams and fans all of the time. I would get sick of the Steelers and the terrible towel waving fans if I were a fan or the Ravens or Browns or whomever. Until the Steelers stop being competitive on the football field, this jealously will continue. Of course, they will never admit it is jealously, but it is to a large extent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh