Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 01:16 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
I think the fear most people have is that any increase in revenue will just be then used to increase spending.
Except history does not support that fear. I get that in the abstract, anything is possible, but at some point you have to actually take a look at how the world really functions. And the way it functions is that if you increase taxes, it will if anything help you slow spending growth afterwards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2011, 01:41 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,883,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Except history does not support that fear. I get that in the abstract, anything is possible, but at some point you have to actually take a look at how the world really functions. And the way it functions is that if you increase taxes, it will if anything help you slow spending growth afterwards.
Federal Spending Is Growing Faster Than Federal Revenue

Old 11-21-2011, 02:14 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,095,574 times
Quote:
You linked to a graph that showed Federal Spending increasing even as revenue fell (a predictable result in such a dramatic economic downturn I might add) but I'm not sure how this is responsive to Brian's statement specifically contemplating a rise in revenue

Old 11-21-2011, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobick View Post
You linked to a graph that showed Federal Spending increasing even as revenue fell (a predictable result in such a dramatic economic downturn I might add) but I'm not sure how this is responsive to Brian's statement specifically contemplating a rise in revenue
It was to point out that historically the government cannot control its spending regardless of revenue. Throwing more & more revenue at that problem is not the end all answer; the spending problem also needs to be fixed.
I say that's the first priority is reigning in spending as then I might believe that any extra revenue more taxes would bring in will actually be wisely spent reducing our debt rather then just feeding more spending.

Old 11-21-2011, 02:46 PM

Quote:
It was to point out that historically the government cannot control its spending regardless of revenue. Throwing more & more revenue at that problem is not the end all answer; the spending problem also needs to be fixed.
I say that's the first priority is reigning in spending as then I might believe that any extra revenue more taxes would bring in will actually be wisely spent reducing our debt rather then just feeding more spending.
The federal government is doing far more now than they ever have and states are far more dependent upon federal funding than they've ever been. It would stand to reason that spending on the federal level would increase accordingly. It's implicit in your statement that you think this is an evil in and of itself but I'm not sure that the polity sees it that way. On a rhetorical level I'm sure they do but on a practical level, when actual federal spending is broken down to individual programs and the role of the government explained on a main street level, I'm far less certain.

It might just be that the people, in general, don't mind the federal government that they have, in terms of the large administrative state, but that the political branches are so good at stoking the fires of discontent and partisan bickering, that they are incapable of most efficiently and reasonably giving them what they've come to want.

Old 11-21-2011, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Right, think about recent history and that graph.

In 1993, we get the Deficit Reduction Act of 1993, which increased taxation. What happened to spending growth in the years immediately afterward?

In 2001 and 2003, we get the Bush tax cuts. Now what happened to spending growth?

The correlation between tax increases and spending growth is, if anything, the opposite of what you fear. And the correlation between tax cuts and spending growth is the opposite of what the Norquislings have promised.

Edit: By the way, in that link the Heritage Foundation claims: "Federal revenues have dropped recently due to the economic recession." That's partially true, but it is also true revenues have dropped because of the tax cuts in ARRA and the 2010 tax deal. I find it interesting that some parties seem highly reluctant to admit that Obama has been a big tax cutter so far.

Last edited by BrianTH; 11-21-2011 at 03:28 PM..

Old 11-21-2011, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Note that chart only adjusted for inflation, and not the size of the economy/country.

A better approach for these issues is to look at receipts and outlays as a percentage of GDP:

Note when you do that, the inverse relation between spending and revenues becomes VERY clear--some of that is just cyclical (the short-lived spikes in outlays and drops in receipts, plus a lot of that big one at the end), but there is also a structural relationship, which again implies increasing taxes does in fact lead to less spending, and vice-versa.

Old 11-21-2011, 04:33 PM

So there's no room for any significant cuts & reforms in spending? As much as some seem to scratch their heads as to why people are adverse to seeing increase in taxation, I scratch my head as to why some other people find attacking spending as if it's not a big problem.

Just because every proposed dollar cut has some champion out there yelling how it will be the end of the world if cut doesnt mean it's true. Closing a military base somewhere might be really bad for that community but that's also a bad reason to keep funding it if the base isn't actually needed.

Old 11-21-2011, 05:42 PM

25 posts, read 22,847 times
Quote:

Just because every proposed dollar cut has some champion out there yelling how it will be the end of the world if cut doesnt mean it's true. Closing a military base somewhere might be really bad for that community but that's also a bad reason to keep funding it if the base isn't actually needed.
Close bases around the world and bring those troops home to spend our money at home would certainly make lots of sense. Technology is more important than ground troops around the world. That is old school.

Old 11-21-2011, 06:20 PM

Quote:
So there's no room for any significant cuts & reforms in spending? As much as some seem to scratch their heads as to why people are adverse to seeing increase in taxation, I scratch my head as to why some other people find attacking spending as if it's not a big problem.
Absolutely there's room for both. But remember, that's not how you've framed the issue. For many, the issue is only one of cutting spending. It's a fetish, not a rational discussion about the best policy going forward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh