Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 06:18 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,964,705 times

Advertisements

You might have been on to something.

Shootout Has South Side Resident Fed Up « CBS Pittsburgh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2012, 06:49 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,880,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Did this really happen?, besides that 1 short news story I can't find any info about this 'shootout' nor has anyone there I've spoken to heard anything? Just seems weird if there was a gun battle to go relatively unreported.

Old 11-22-2012, 07:08 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,377,769 times
U better believe it... There are nuisance clubs/bars on the Southside. Recently there's been some deep seeded gang stuff happening around the City so I believe it...

Old 11-22-2012, 07:28 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
Did this really happen?
Are you questioning our local media? Well, I guess it is possibly made up? Not sure what to think to be honest. I do think the South Side isn't what it was a few years back. Sure there was always public urination and the occasional fight or whatever, but I really never heard about shootings. It was just a fun party place. Maybe the wrong people now go there? Don't know. Sure was fun back in the day though.

Old 11-22-2012, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Are you questioning our local media? Well, I guess it is possibly made up? .
Not saying it couldn't happen or didn't happen, mainly just find it very odd that what i would consider a pretty serious/newsworthy event ( ie a street shootout) has garnered virtually no coverage.

Though a shooting somewhere in the city are a near daily occurance now so maybe it's not newsworthy

Old 11-22-2012, 08:18 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
Not saying it couldn't happen or didn't happen, mainly just find it very odd that what i would consider a pretty serious/newsworthy event ( ie a street shootout) has garnered virtually no coverage.

Though a shooting somewhere in the city are a near daily occurance now so maybe it's not newsworthy
Point taken. I suspect there are shootouts in Homewood that don't get reported because they happen all the time, but if someone gets killed they say something about it. One would think a shooting in the South Side would still be news worthy. Has it gotten that bad? I don't go there much anymore, except for an afternoon beer or something like that.

Old 11-22-2012, 08:51 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,377,769 times
Quote:
Point taken. I suspect there are shootouts in Homewood that don't get reported because they happen all the time, but if someone gets killed they say something about it. One would think a shooting in the South Side would still be news worthy. Has it gotten that bad? I don't go there much anymore, except for an afternoon beer or something like that.
No though some places do attract a population of inner city criminals...

Old 11-23-2012, 09:14 AM

1,045 posts, read 2,222,999 times
I can guarantee it happened. I was listening to the scanner that evening when I heard the calls go out for the shooting as well as when the pedestrian got hit at 1st and Carson by the hit and run vehicle that was found over turned a block or two down the road with no driver to be found. Both incidents are also on the police blotter for that day. If you stop in at Zone 3 station, they can show it to you.

Obviously folks around here haven't figured out that the media has been told to "keep bad things hushed and sweep it under the carpet" by the city fathers. If you actually knew all the things happening that AREN'T reported, it would probably shock the #### out of you, but then again, what would we do without the "beautiful bubble" make believe world we live in.

I actually was surprised KD picked it up. Was checking all three outlets the next morning to see if would appear. Took awhile, but at least it did. Kudos to KD!

Old 11-23-2012, 09:29 AM

1,045 posts, read 2,222,999 times
Quote:
Has it gotten that bad? I don't go there much anymore, except for an afternoon beer or something like that.
I was a regular on Fri & Sat night from around 11PM to 3AM for many years (up til last year), between hanging out at the clubs with the bouncers and stopping to chat with my friends up at Station 24 and the old Zone 3 police station when it was right beside. It mainly was a "busy scene" with a lot of fights, drunks in the street, unconscious people in clubs, etc. You were guaranteed to see plenty of ambulances, fire trucks, and police cars consistently en route to calls, especially at 2AM.

When the Strip District nightlife started to close up about two years ago, whether by means of their own volition or due to the DAs office shuttering them, and that crowd started to infiltrate the SS, is when the shootings and really bad stuff started. I can think of numerous SS shootings over the past few years, most happening at the shuttered District3/Town Tavern and Angels, although many in parking lots and streets.

And if you want to work your way down to Station Square (which is also still considered the South Side), don't forget the shootings at Zen and a few of the other clubs there that were closed down.

Just do a little search, you will find them. Here are a few;
http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...ooting-640939/

http://www.wpxi.com/news/news/local/...ghs-sou/nPcNY/

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2011/...side-shooting/

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2011/...ing-injures-2/

http://triblive.com/x/pittsburghtrib...#axzz2D3fqHgCC

http://www.wtae.com/Teen-Shot-Killed...z/-/index.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_37CqW11lM

Last edited by Benzman66; 11-23-2012 at 10:44 AM..

Old 11-23-2012, 10:36 AM

I guess staying in & shooting up ones own neighborhood loses its luster at times, shame. Ah thug life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh