Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 08:18 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,108,082 times

Advertisements

More fun maps: NJ versus PA:

Nullspace: Midatlantic UFC - Pennsylvania-New Jersey migration flows

NJ out-migration hasn't yet penetrated too far west, but there are some strands. I'd guess that is mostly university-related, but it will be interesting to see if those build over time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 03:13 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,190,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post

NJ out-migration hasn't yet penetrated too far west, but there are some strands. I'd guess that is mostly university-related, but it will be interesting to see if those build over time.
I'm not surprised this is how the NJ-PA migration is trending. I don't think most people want to move away from where they currently live (in most cases) unless they have to or hate where they live so a quick move to Eastern PA would be a logical solution for those who want out of NJ but do not want to move far from their family and friends.

Old 12-12-2011, 03:25 PM

I also think a lot of Eastern PA is now considered by some to be within commuting distance of NYC (a concept I personally find horrifying).

And in fact the outflows to NJ appear to be mostly people moving farther out from Philly but still within plausible commuting distance.

Old 12-12-2011, 05:09 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,190,523 times
That would be a rather painful commute IMO also. I have nptced that about outflow to with the Jersey shore counties benefiting the most. I find it interesting of the large amount of outflow to Hudson County across the river from New York.

Old 12-12-2011, 05:44 PM

443 posts, read 602,916 times
Quote:
I think you will find that for every large house in Friendship that has been subdivided into apartments (and recently some have been converted back), there are many more medium-sized houses that are still single units, but now only contain 1-2 people rather than a multi-generation family of 6 or more people.

And in fact, many of those multi-units made out of large houses may not contain many, if any, more people in total than they contained back when they were single large units.

By the way, having some familiarity with other cities is helpful in this area. Lots of other older cities went through a similar loss of population after WWII, then started growing again circa the 1980s (of course Pittsburgh went off on a different path due to the steel bust). As could be predicted, they did in fact gain back occupied housing units a lot faster on the way back up, and that is a very large part of why housing in those cities got so expensive in the 2000s, and why those prices have held up relatively well even after the housing bust.
H_curtis brought up a good point, but this point is also true.

We can count that there are neighborhoods with large stately houses such as Friendship and Point Breeze that use to house single families of the upper class now converted to apartment dwellings of 5-7 apartments with one person.

But if you look at the numerous rowhome neighborhoods which use to be industrial centers such as Lawrenceville, the South Side, The North side, etc which use to house working class families of 6 or more now down to 1 or 2 it would probably still favor a population of far less per household now than back in the industrial age.

Old 12-12-2011, 05:49 PM

There are also many neighborhoods filled with Foursquares, Hulley Houses, and so on, which are detached homes somewhat larger than the typical working-class row, but still considerably smaller than the grand homes of Friendship and such.

Anyway, we know the number of people per occupied unit is way down--you get that just by doing some math with the statistics above. It is harder to know what, say, the median square footage per person is now, but I'd be very surprised if it was lower.

Old 12-12-2011, 05:52 PM

443 posts, read 602,916 times
Quote:

No. It won't be interesting. Jersey must be stopped, NOW. I am sick of Jersey and New Jerseyans. I am sick of the Jersey Cancer taking over all parts of Pennsylvania. What use to be a beautiful rural farm landscape filled with Dutch farmland is now housing plan after housing plan and high strung douchebags from Jersey driving their SUV racing for the nearest Gap or grocery store to pick up another bottle of Axe Body Spray. They keep approaching the mountains of Central Pa to destroy next. Soon the Appalachians of Pennsylvania will be turned to subdivisions and stripmalls for the Jersey culture looking for cheaper taxes to afford more hair gel.

Jersey Migration MUST be stopped. It is a cancer eating away at eastern PA and is not pretty to say the least.

Old 12-12-2011, 06:06 PM

Interesting, as I use the term, does not necessarily mean good.

That said, there are all sorts in NJ, and Pittsburgh is really too far to act as a bedroom community. So we would naturally filter for a different sort of refugee from NJ than are showing up in the easternmost counties.

Old 12-12-2011, 06:09 PM

1,017 posts, read 2,505,831 times
Quote:
These maps are so stunning I thought they deserved their own thread:

There are dozens of things one could say, but I'll start with suggesting that if you are wondering why you should not assume population in the region followed a straight line trend from 2000 to 2010, those maps should help.

Nice data.

Old 12-12-2011, 06:13 PM

1,125 posts, read 2,357,265 times
Quote:
Interesting, as I use the term, does not necessarily mean good.

That said, there are all sorts in NJ, and Pittsburgh is really too far to act as a bedroom community. So we would naturally filter for a different sort of refugee from NJ than are showing up in the easternmost counties.
Still, if some come for employment reasons it is not unreasonable to expect their culture to come along. I will say that we are in no danger of becoming "west jersey", but some population diversity is never a bad thing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh