Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 08:24 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,759,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by escilade18 View Post
Still, if some come for employment reasons it is not unreasonable to expect their culture to come along. I will say that we are in no danger of becoming "west jersey", but some population diversity is never a bad thing
Of the 12 "big" states in the U.S. (population 8,000,000+), Pennsylvania's demographics will change the most noticeably by 2020.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 08:33 PM

1,125 posts, read 2,349,533 times
What are your thoughts on there being much change in the Pittsburgh region? Lately I have been hearing there is a lot of growth in eastern PA without much in Western PA. I imagine that will change soon to be more evenly distributed with the accomplishments our region has done

Old 12-12-2011, 10:21 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,029,222 times
Quote:
Still, if some come for employment reasons it is not unreasonable to expect their culture to come along. I will say that we are in no danger of becoming "west jersey", but some population diversity is never a bad thing
My dominant experience with people from New Jersey is people who have come to various higher ed schools I have also been associated with, and I'd have no problem with such people joining the local mix in larger numbers.

Old 12-12-2011, 10:23 PM

Quote:
What are your thoughts on there being much change in the Pittsburgh region? Lately I have been hearing there is a lot of growth in eastern PA without much in Western PA. I imagine that will change soon to be more evenly distributed with the accomplishments our region has done
If the economy remains good relative to the United States as a whole, then change will happen in the Pittsburgh area regardless. The biggest change will be that the entire region will get younger, especially Allegheny County. The other big change, I believe, will be the Asian population reaching critical mass, particularly in the city and .

As for the black population, I think it'll be relatively flat (slight increase), but there will be a more visible emergence of upwardly-mobile blacks. There's already a decent-sized black middle class in some of the eastern suburbs like Churchill, Forest Hills and parts of Penn Hills (although Penn Hills has some problems), but I think it'll become more visible in Edgewood and Monroeville too. Also keep an eye on southern suburbs like Homestead, Munhall, West Mifflin and Baldwin.

I think the Hispanic population will continue to grow, but it won't be all that obvious since it's expanding from such a small base.

Old 12-13-2011, 11:04 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,899,754 times
Default Take a look at this!

2008-2010 25-34 year olds......This was originally posted about Miami but take a look at the East Coast NYC, NJ and even Philly are bleeding their young

http://www.miamiherald.com/static/mu...Migration.html

The Story
Brain drain? Many young South Floridians seek brighter economic prospects elsewhere - Miami-Dade - MiamiHerald.com

Just proves my point about NYC metro just being too F***ing Expensive....."The Rents TOO DAMN HIGH"....NYC is suppose to be the "Dream" destination of this age demographic, what's happening is they come and realize its not the Sex and City or Friends lifestyle they thought it was gonna be and they hurry the hell up to get away from this place before it robs them blind.

Old 12-13-2011, 12:30 PM

295 posts, read 659,464 times
Now it's "2 Broke Girls" instead, which does take place in NYC!

Old 12-13-2011, 05:36 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,159,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
2008-2010 25-34 year olds......This was originally posted about Miami but take a look at the East Coast NYC, NJ and even Philly are bleeding their young

http://www.miamiherald.com/static/mu...Migration.html

The Story
Brain drain? Many young South Floridians seek brighter economic prospects elsewhere - Miami-Dade - MiamiHerald.com

Just proves my point about NYC metro just being too F***ing Expensive....."The Rents TOO DAMN HIGH"....NYC is suppose to be the "Dream" destination of this age demographic, what's happening is they come and realize its not the Sex and City or Friends lifestyle they thought it was gonna be and they hurry the hell up to get away from this place before it robs them blind.
Nice to see we are 15th out of 51 for cities attracting young people. So much for young people leaving in droves once again.

Old 12-13-2011, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
If the economy remains good relative to the United States as a whole, then change will happen in the Pittsburgh area regardless. The biggest change will be that the entire region will get younger, especially Allegheny County. The other big change, I believe, will be the Asian population reaching critical mass, particularly in the city and northern suburbs like Franklin Park, McCandless, and Pine and Marshall Townships. (Possibly Hampton Township as well.)

As for the black population, I think it'll be relatively flat (slight increase), but there will be a more visible emergence of upwardly-mobile blacks. There's already a decent-sized black middle class in some of the eastern suburbs like Churchill, Forest Hills and parts of Penn Hills (although Penn Hills has some problems), but I think it'll become more visible in Edgewood and Monroeville too. Also keep an eye on southern suburbs like Homestead, Munhall, West Mifflin and Baldwin.

I think the Hispanic population will continue to grow, but it won't be all that obvious since it's expanding from such a small base.
Added some text that somehow got omitted.

Old 12-14-2011, 07:31 PM

1,334 posts, read 1,807,999 times
I, personally, represent a population inflow of one from the NYC area to Pittsburgh in 2011, and I'm very glad to be out of there and in here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh