Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 07:41 AM

3 posts, read 3,700 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I have been going to school in New Wilmington for the past 3 years and have recently graduated. I have started work in downtown Pittsburgh and am now looking for my own apartment. Now I really liked the small town setting, and I know I could not handle living in the city. Are there any towns North of Pittsburgh that are very quite and safe? Smaller is definitely better. I don't really mind commuting, but New Wilmington seems way to far for me.
Thanks
Glassejt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 07:56 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Harmony, PA

Zelienople, PA

Not sure how many rentals you'll find but they are cute small towns. You can't get much smaller than Harmony.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:16 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Oakmont.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:24 AM

1,714 posts, read 2,359,577 times
Mars

Old 01-04-2012, 08:31 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,660,570 times
Mars, Evans City, Harmony/Zelienople (they're right together), those are all pretty sleepy and would get you much closer than New Wilmington. They're also all smaller, I'm guessing. These are pretty rural, and unlike New Wilmington there is no college there that provides a sort of extra boost to the town. They're going to be very sleepy.

Oakmont is a good choice too and puts you a little closer to some things if you think you might be inclined to do things in the city even if you don't live there. Other places that could work more like that include Sewickley, Aspinwall, maybe West View or the Perrysville area of Ross Township, these still feel like towns. If you're not going to insist upon a town "feel" then any number of other north suburban areas get you out of the city easily enough. The wider north area triangulated roughly by Cranberry on the north, Sewickley on the West and West View on the south really has no "towns" in it but it is residential area mainly aside from the sprawl on McKnight Rd/Rt 19 in Ross/McCandless/Pine.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:33 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Mars, Evans City, Harmony/Zelienople (they're right together), those are all pretty sleepy and would get you much closer than New Wilmington. They're also all smaller, I'm guessing. These are pretty rural, and unlike New Wilmington there is no college there that provides a sort of extra boost to the town. They're going to be very sleepy.

Oakmont is a good choice too and puts you a little closer to some things if you think you might be inclined to do things in the city even if you don't live there. Other places that could work more like that include Sewickley, Aspinwall, maybe West View or the Perrysville area of Ross Township, these still feel like towns. If you're not going to insist upon a town "feel" then any number of other north suburban areas get you out of the city easily enough.
This is a good point. If you can afford Aspinwall, that would be choice number one for me. The proximity to everything is as good as it gets and it is a nice little town.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:55 AM

733 posts, read 987,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Zelienople, PA
A friend of mine moved out to Zelienople for about a year, and she really liked it there. I've only driven through a few times, but it looks pretty quaint. It might be right up your alley. I think the commute would be about 45 minutes excluding traffic, but I've hit pretty bad traffic on 279 on the few occasions that I've had to travel it during rush hour.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:00 AM

1,714 posts, read 2,359,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainPittsburgh View Post
A friend of mine moved out to Zelienople for about a year, and she really liked it there. I've only driven through a few times, but it looks pretty quaint. It might be right up your alley. I think the commute would be about 45 minutes excluding traffic, but I've hit pretty bad traffic on 279 on the few occasions that I've had to travel it during rush hour.
Hopefully that construction at Warrendale/Wexford is in our rear-view mirror now (so to speak) so it will get a little better. Still, you can expect a little problem there from time to time.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:23 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,660,570 times
It'll be close to an hour at the peak times, about 7:30 to 8:30am. Although I gather you're already coming in that way and are familiar with it.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:25 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
It'll be close to an hour at the peak times, about 7:30 to 8:30am. Although I gather you're already coming in that way and are familiar with it.
Hmm an hour commute vs. Aspinwall's 15 minutes on peak? Oakmont would be more like 40-45 minutes I suspect, but not sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh