Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 02:15 PM

2,902 posts, read 10,071,152 times

Advertisements

BTW, I heard yinz today. LOL. I was at Mercy Hospital doing an internship and one of the secretaries (who was a hoot and very sweet) said it. It didn't seem to bother me like it used to. It could be a lot worse. I think ya'll is terribly worse, or we could have the dreaded Minnesota "ol doncha kno"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2007, 02:16 PM

206 posts, read 688,680 times
Oh good greif. I think the VAST majority of Americans have watched more than enough TV to be able to parrot "standard American" whenever the occasion requires it. I do not talk to the neighbors the same way I talk to my mom, or my boss, or my kids, or the loan officer DAHN at the bank. It's just like when they've done those studies to find out of chatting online in abbreviated "chat speak" or texting (and yes, I'm aware "texting" is probably not an "approved" word yet, I have a degree in English from CMU) messages corrupts schoolkids' writing skills, and it doesn't. Just like people who speak a different language at home switch back and forth as the occasion requires, most people switch dialects/accents on the fly, too.

I am not from here and I'm proud to say that I have assimilated fully enough to spontaneously use the form "needs washed." :-)

Old 09-04-2007, 02:21 PM

Quote:
I am not from here and I'm proud to say that I have assimilated fully enough to spontaneously use the form "needs washed." :-)
Are you saying that isn't correct English???

LOL, I know it isn't, but I will NEVER add the "to be" till the day I die.. lol. It just isn't in me.

How about slippy and jaggers?

Old 09-04-2007, 02:24 PM

Yes, on "slippy," no on "jaggers" -- I'm not quite that cool yet. I haven't mastered "buggy" yet either, but I'm working on it.

I'm also a big fan of "n'at" and "nebby."

I actually think a grammarian would have a hard time making a case against "needs washed." There's nothing agrammatical about it at all, it's just nonstandard.

Old 09-04-2007, 02:27 PM

Quote:
I'm also a big fan of "n'at" and "nebby."
No on n'at for me, definitely yes on nebby.

What about spicket and bubushka?

Quote:
no on "jaggers" -- I'm not quite that cool yet.
I don't think I even know what would be proper. Don't hurt yourself on the jagger bush!! Is it thorn bush?? Or something?

Old 09-04-2007, 02:29 PM

LOL -- spicket! I love it, but no.

I do say Picksburgh, though, when the occasion calls for it.

When I was in college I worked at Rhoda's Deli as the cashier, so I had to take phone orders and I'll never forget the first time someone asked me for "jumbo" and "bulkies" -- who knew those were nouns?

Old 09-04-2007, 02:31 PM

Here is a big wikipedia write up on Pittsburghese. Believe it or not, is is quite fascinating. The phonology is DEAD on.

Old 09-04-2007, 02:32 PM

Quote:
I do say Picksburgh, though, when the occasion calls for it.
I oughta slap you!!! LOL. That is my LEAST favorite.

Old 09-04-2007, 02:35 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
I grew up the child of a "mixed marriage", Pittsburgh and Wisconsin. As a result, I do not say most of those words, but I can understand all of it. I had a husband (since divorced) who used to correct me when I said "needs fixed", etc. I say it right now, but I have to think about it every time. And I do say it as a joke occasionally. New DH doesn't mind it. After all, he "scoops snow". Does anyone know what he is doing when he does that? I had never heard that in Pittsburgh.

Old 09-04-2007, 02:35 PM

LOL -- I'm sure it's sacrilege to say so, but I can't stand "Stillers."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh