Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 12:51 PM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,962,173 times

Advertisements

I really love our downtown area these days. I have been around Pittsburgh since the '60's and it has NEVER looked better, other than the current Point renovation, but that is going to be AMAZING when done. I was wondering what parts of downtown you love most and why?

1. Point State Park (after renovations are complete) Just a unique park that has so many great views and surrounded by water. It is huge! Just Pittsburgh!
2. Market Square. Never thought I would have that spot at this level, but Market Square is more beautiful than ever. It is truly stunning!
3. PPG Place. That iceskating rink in the winter and the water shooters in the summer, make it really neat. I really love that unusual look and that unique building. IMHO, it is Pittsburgh and a show of PPG as well as something different. I also love the controversy surrounding the building, which adds to the mystique. It makes Rockefeller Center's rink look very boring. Sorry NYC.
4. Penn Ave. The little parks with the sculptures and the feel of the street is great. SixPenn is helpful in the look, but the whole street really looks great. If people only knew what it used to look like. It is better than ever in my lifetime.

Keep in mind, I am hoping this thread is about downtown ONLY. No surrounding areas or views. Hoping people will give some input even though the thread was started by me. I would love to learn of your favorites so I may have the chance to learn more. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 01:07 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,084,675 times
5. Fourth Ave

6. The New Point Park U Square

7. PNC Firstside Park

Old 02-01-2012, 01:15 PM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,962,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airwave09 View Post
5. Fourth Ave

6. The New Point Park U Square

7. PNC Firstside Park
Thanks! Can't wait to study those areas more.

Old 02-01-2012, 02:18 PM

747 posts, read 1,231,520 times
Market Square

Grant Street

The new Gateway Center T Station and Parklet

Penn Avenue

Liberty Avenue

Convention Center Waterfront Park

Mellon Green (pre Occupy Pittsburgh)

Fourth Ave

Old 02-01-2012, 02:19 PM

747 posts, read 1,231,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins View Post
Market Square

Grant Street

The new Gateway Center T Station and Parklet

Penn Avenue

Liberty Avenue

Convention Center Waterfront Park

Mellon Green (pre Occupy Pittsburgh)

Fourth Ave

Actually, I love the entire Downtown area. Even the gritty sections.

Old 02-01-2012, 02:59 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,007,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins View Post
Actually, I love the entire Downtown area. Even the gritty sections.
That is more or less my feeling. One of the great things about Downtown to me is that it is so compact, and you can see many different sorts of things in a short walk. I've made a point of walking alleys and such, in part because they have a sort of historic/timeless feel.

Old 02-01-2012, 03:07 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,888,864 times
I find it hard to like downtown today compared to forty years ago. Too much has been taken away, what with Gimbel's now housing Burlington Coat Factory, and Kaufmann's being a Macy's, and Point Park being...I don't even know what to call it, and Jenkins Arcade being MIA, and...listen to me, I sound like AA.

Anyway, in spite of how much I may like certain restaurants, I can't go downtown without dwelling on how nice it used to be.

Old 02-01-2012, 03:44 PM

4,275 posts, read 7,628,511 times
I like the fountain when it's operational.

Old 02-01-2012, 04:03 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,229,034 times
-Lobby at Omni William Penn
-Cultural District
-Bridges
-Union Trust Building
-Old Courthuse and Jail
-Three Rivers

Old 02-01-2012, 04:19 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,963,523 times
I think downtown looks better than it ever did. When I was young, the streets were a mix of brick, belgian block and cheap blacktop with a lot of rutted trolley tracks. A lot of the buildings were worn out, we didn't have as many distinctive skyscrapers and green space. Now a lot of the old buildings have been restored and the new syline is really striking. Great cultural district, a new Liberty Avenue, grant Street is a grand boulevard, and great riverwalks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh