Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 03:06 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,041,015 times

Advertisements

New Castle is a satellite city of Youngstown (others would be, I believe, Sharon and Warren). Cranberry is just Cranberry...suburban sprawl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2012, 07:32 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,922,453 times
Youngstown is not much larger of a city than New Castle. I think both are satalite cities of either Pittsburgh or Cleveland.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:35 PM

Historically, Youngstown peaked at 168,000, and New Castle peaked at less than 50,000. Today, Youngstown is around 70k, and New Castle is about 20,000.

Old 03-23-2012, 09:28 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,940,745 times
Well, being that I'm from slightly north of Youngstown I would say it depends on who you ask. Pittsburgh is maybe 3 miles closer to Youngstown than Cleveland. I was raised being told that we were 70 miles from both cities, centered between both Cleveland and Pittsburgh and Chicago and New York.

When I worked in Poland most of my coworkers were more connected to Pittsburgh. People from Poland, Boardman, Campbell, Struthers, Columbiana, Salem, etc definitely seem to identify more w/the Burgh. Many of them spoke a little Pittsburgese. There are a ton of Steelers fans in this area (since they've been winning more recently than the Browns) and many residents parents or grandparents are originally from the Pittsburgh metro. Also, a Saturday night out for these people may include a trip to the Strip or to a Pirates game in the summer. Like I mentioned in another thread many people from the above mentioned areas commute to greater Pittsburgh.

North of Youngstown we are definitely more connected to Cleveland. My boyfriend has season tickets to the Browns. My grandmother grew up in Cleveland. I'm a Browns and Indians fan. If i go to a concert I almost always go to Blossom near Akron or to The Q, although I have seen a concert at Post Gazette Pavilion or whatever the heck it's called now. I"m going to see Bruce Springsteen and the E Street band at The Q next month. Many people in my area commute to the eastern and southern suburbs of Cleveland.

Oh and as for Youngstown being include in either Cleveland or Pittsburgh's CSA, that would be ridiculous. If Akron and Canton aren't in Cleveland's CSA then the Mahoning Valley shouldn't be either. Same w/Sharon and Hermitage, they aren't tied closely enough to the burgh to be included.

The Youngstown/Warren/Boardman MSA includes something like 565k people and the CSA of Trumbull, Mahoning, Columbiana and Mercer Co, Pa ha a pop. of over 670k.

Here are some more facts from our Chamber of Commerce:
http://www.regionalchamber.com/~/med.../FBentire.ashx

Quote:
It is within 75 miles of CLEVELAND, PITTSBURGH,
AKRON, CANTON, ERIE and.....
-6.8 million people
-10,650 manufacturing plants
-10,320 wholesale/distribution centers
-20 Fortune 500 company world headquarters
-2 international airports –
that move 177 million tons of cargo per year
-3 regional airports
-95 college and university campus locations
the center of the Cleveland-Youngstown-
Pittsburgh TechBelt
Quote:
With in just the past two years, 107 businesses have invested $682 million
here, creating 4,510 new jobs - proving this is the place to be in today’s
global economy. We are a center for advanced manufacturing,
distribution and back office activity.
In fact, during the second quarter of 2010, we led the nation in manufacturing
job growth and ground was broken on one the largest manufacturing
projects anywhere in North America.
Quote:
Marcellus Shale related industry
-V&M Star broke ground on a new $650 million expansion to their existing Youngstown facility. The company will manufacture pipe used in the drilling process.
-TMK IPSCO recently expanded operations to include a new $10 million threading facility in Brookfield, which will complement their pipe production operations in Pennsylvania.
-Dearing Compressor and Pump, a manufacturer of industrial pumps also invested $3 million to expand operations in the region, adding to its production capacity.
-DE-CAL Inc opened a pipe fabrication center here that will employ more than 40 people at the plant and 100 in the field.
-JMC Steel Group’s Wheatland Tube announced plans to invest $11 million to increase steel tubular goods production capacity.

Old 03-24-2012, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
Historically, Youngstown peaked at 168,000, and New Castle peaked at less than 50,000. Today, Youngstown is around 70k, and New Castle is about 20,000.
The point I'm making is, neither of the cities are large enough to stand on their own. Even when Youngstown's population was at 170k in the 40's, Pittsburgh was near 700k and Cleveland was over 800k. Today they have declined similarly, although Pittsburgh has turned around very recently.

Old 03-24-2012, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CortlandGirl79 View Post
Well, being that I'm from slightly north of Youngstown I would say it depends on who you ask. Pittsburgh is maybe 3 miles closer to Youngstown than Cleveland. I was raised being told that we were 70 miles from both cities, centered between both Cleveland and Pittsburgh and Chicago and New York.

When I worked in Poland most of my coworkers were more connected to Pittsburgh. People from Poland, Boardman, Campbell, Struthers, Columbiana, Salem, etc definitely seem to identify more w/the Burgh. Many of them spoke a little Pittsburgese. There are a ton of Steelers fans in this area (since they've been winning more recently than the Browns) and many residents parents or grandparents are originally from the Pittsburgh metro. Also, a Saturday night out for these people may include a trip to the Strip or to a Pirates game in the summer. Like I mentioned in another thread many people from the above mentioned areas commute to greater Pittsburgh.

North of Youngstown we are definitely more connected to Cleveland. My boyfriend has season tickets to the Browns. My grandmother grew up in Cleveland. I'm a Browns and Indians fan. If i go to a concert I almost always go to Blossom near Akron or to The Q, although I have seen a concert at Post Gazette Pavilion or whatever the heck it's called now. I"m going to see Bruce Springsteen and the E Street band at The Q next month. Many people in my area commute to the eastern and southern suburbs of Cleveland.

Oh and as for Youngstown being include in either Cleveland or Pittsburgh's CSA, that would be ridiculous. If Akron and Canton aren't in Cleveland's CSA then the Mahoning Valley shouldn't be either. Same w/Sharon and Hermitage, they aren't tied closely enough to the burgh to be included.

The Youngstown/Warren/Boardman MSA includes something like 565k people and the CSA of Trumbull, Mahoning, Columbiana and Mercer Co, Pa ha a pop. of over 670k.

Yeah i agree. Although I'm a huge Pittsburgh/Steelers/Pens fan, I think it would be in everyone's best intrest included in this area to be combined to one CSA.

Last edited by speagles84; 03-24-2012 at 12:32 AM.. Reason: Forgot a word.

Old 03-24-2012, 01:20 AM

431 posts, read 929,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CortlandGirl79 View Post

Good post

My Father's whole family is from Youngstown " most in Poland Village area" It's a very divided family in regard to attachments to Pittsburgh Vs Cleveland. Split pretty evenly I'd say. Anytime we flew to Youngstown to visit his family, Pittsburgh is where we flew into. Even to this day when I go visit them, I use Pittsburgh as my airport. My first NFL game was at Three Rivers, thus making me a lifetime member of Steeler Nation. " Much to the dismay of my Father, a Browns fan"

I've only been to Cleveland like 3 times, vs Pittsburgh which is more times than I can count. We alway's seemed to gravitate towards Pittsburgh. I can understand the whole Cleveland being in the same State thing, and I believe that does play a major role. Especially when it comes to Pro Sport teams, Colleges, Government etc. But to me personally Pittsburgh always felt closer. Youngstown to me felt more tied to the Pittsburgh Metro. Cleveland alway's seemed like a distant city, while Pittsburgh was right up the road.

Pittsburgh is one of my favorite places in the Country. Guess a big reason for that is all those trips and times I've had in the Burgh over the years. I have a big attachment to the City. Cleveland on the other hand, is just another City I've been to a few times.

Old 03-24-2012, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
The point I'm making is, neither of the cities are large enough to stand on their own. Even when Youngstown's population was at 170k in the 40's, Pittsburgh was near 700k and Cleveland was over 800k. Today they have declined similarly, although Pittsburgh has turned around very recently.
What do you mean they aren't large enough to stand on their own? Youngstown has always been smaller than Pgh and Cleveland, but it has always been an independent city and not a form of suburb. I'd say the same goes for Steubenville, Wheeling, Johnstown, etc.

Old 03-24-2012, 04:06 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,031,857 times
What IS true appears to be a fairly even split. What SHOULD be true is we should aggressively pursue bringing Youngstown into our orbit. In other words, if Cleveland and Pittsburgh are France and Germany, the Youngstown area is Alsace-Lorraine.

Old 03-24-2012, 05:26 AM

1,164 posts, read 2,060,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
How is New Castle a suburb of Cranberry?

Cranberry is a township, while New Castle is a third class city. If anything, Cranberry is a suburb of New Castle. But it is a suburb of Pittsburgh.
Because it's New Castle's employment center. At one point employment was pretty much self-contained, or people would commute to Youngstown. Now just about everyone I know that lives in New Castle commutes to Cranberry for employment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh