Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 12:50 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,574,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I personally see Wilkinsburg as being on the cusp of a renaissance.
Amazing the difference a bit of good government makes, isn't it?

I'm hardly the first to say it, but: offer some kind of affordable or alternative public education in Wilkinsburg, and the Renaissance will happen yesterday. Whether that means a merger with PPS, or charters, or vouchers, or a divine miracle, if ordinary people looking for a home knew that educating their children would not be an enormous hurdle, Wilkinsburg would have to keep them away with fire hoses.

So, now the borough has some responsible leadership, perhaps the school district next?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2012, 01:50 PM

12,390 posts, read 7,098,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post
Amazing the difference a bit of good government makes, isn't it?

I'm hardly the first to say it, but: offer some kind of affordable or alternative public education in Wilkinsburg, and the Renaissance will happen yesterday. Whether that means a merger with PPS, or charters, or vouchers, or a divine miracle, if ordinary people looking for a home knew that educating their children would not be an enormous hurdle, Wilkinsburg would have to keep them away with fire hoses.

So, now the borough has some responsible leadership, perhaps the school district next?
There is no doubt that both Wilkinsburg and Swissvale will see a Renaissance once more of the East End becomes prohibitively expensive for people of average means. I think it's already starting to happen, and in as little as 10 years, parts of both Wilkinsburg and Swissvale (outside of Regent Square) will be considered desirable neighborhoods.

I agree that solving the school issue, would create a lot more demand for Wilkinsburg (Swissvale also). At least Wilkinsburg has a chance of solving it's problem in the near future, unfortunately, the Woodland Hills School district is likely to be around for another 30 years.

Old 04-08-2012, 02:19 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,801,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
If you want a town in that price range and a Victorian, I would suggest Sewickley. There ARE Victorian homes there believe it or not. If I was in that price range, I would focus on the following places, so you are more in the norm and not alone in that range.

1. Fox Chapel (all)
2. Parts of Sewickley
3. Sewickley Heights (all)
4. Parts of Point Breeze
5. Parts of Shadyside
6. Parts of Squirrel Hill
7. A few streets in Oakland.
8. Parts of Mt. Lebanon.

When I say "parts", I mean there are sections of those places that homes in that price range exists. For example, in Shadyside I would rather you live around Westminster than College.
Sewickley is full of Victorians. Mt. Lebanon is a 20th Century development. I can't remember seeing any Victorians there. Plenty of Tudors and such, but that's not what the OP asked for. Where are there Victorians in Fox Chapel? FC is so spread out, with so many houses located back off of the road, that it's easy to miss what they have.

Old 04-08-2012, 02:58 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times
Note the Propel charter schools are already a good option for Woodland Hills and Wilkinsburg parents--but they don't have enough capacity (even with the addition of a new school).

Old 04-08-2012, 04:35 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
Sewickley is full of Victorians. Mt. Lebanon is a 20th Century development. I can't remember seeing any Victorians there. Plenty of Tudors and such, but that's not what the OP asked for. Where are there Victorians in Fox Chapel? FC is so spread out, with so many houses located back off of the road, that it's easy to miss what they have.
Been in the business too long. There is a saying in Real Estate. "Buyers are liars". Sure they want a "Victorian", but would they go for a cool farm home in FC? Probably. There was one on the market with a pond on Old Mill a while back. Huge front porch and totally cool, but needed work. Anyway, my point was more about price and not style. Buyers change style choices a lot, but best to be amongst other homes in that price range.

Old 04-08-2012, 07:12 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,989,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
Mt. Lebanon is a 20th Century development. I can't remember seeing any Victorians there.
They exist. What limited stock there is is clustered just south of the Washington Rd business district. Have never seen one for sale.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:58 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,532,111 times
Quote:
Been in the business too long. There is a saying in Real Estate. "Buyers are liars". Sure they want a "Victorian", but would they go for a cool farm home in FC? Probably. There was one on the market with a pond on Old Mill a while back. Huge front porch and totally cool, but needed work. Anyway, my point was more about price and not style. Buyers change style choices a lot, but best to be amongst other homes in that price range.
I think it had a barn too. Was on the market for a long time? Built in the 1800's right?

If I recall correctly, it sold for sub 500,000. Right?

Old 04-09-2012, 09:12 AM

11 posts, read 18,809 times
Thank you everyone! I have narrowed it down to Mt Lebanon, Sewickley and believe it or not Murrysville. I know Murrysville doesn't have the old victorian homes that I really want, but the school district seems like a perfect fit for my kids. If I have to live in a brick colonial that is fine as long as my kids are happy! I have also found some houses with beautiful views in Murrysville but I am not finding views in Mt Lebanon or of course Sewickley because the yards are small. Can anyone explain to me what Murrysville is like?

Old 04-09-2012, 04:06 PM

56 posts, read 100,231 times
Quote:
I think I know the home of which you speak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh