Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 01:34 PM

349 posts, read 616,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin20874 View Post
Pink, even if you are right, please keep in mind that you can kill or critically injure these pesky pedestrians with a quick tap on the accelerator. Also please remember that children and seniors require additional tolerance from motorists. And yes, that additional courtesy should also extend to teens and others who may not have the maturity you behave properly.

Yep, which is why I sit there and end up turning as the light turns *red*... because by that time, everyone is finally across the street I'm patient of people when they have the green peds' xing sign, just not the red.

Sigh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2012, 01:35 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,566,102 times
One thing I noticed in Chicago and recently in Vegas, cars allow peds to walk across the street. Not so much around here.

Old 05-18-2012, 01:50 PM

264 posts, read 493,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Drives me nuts in Zanesville, I usually have to go around semis or others that are going so slow in the left lane.

I think the people cutting at the last minute are looking at their damn GPS with no sense of where they're actually going. Green and white signs, are you kidding? They don't have time for those. They don't know the route at all. They only know what the machine tells them. They'd drive right off a bridge if it was what the machine said.

I've actually watched someone do this with their GPS, and in one place it wasn't clear to me which way the line on the screen was pointing. Since I wasn't driving and wasn't familiar with the area, I didn't know which way was correct. If I had been driving, I would have familiarized myself enough with the route to know. In fact, I don't use a GPS. One of my worst GPS experiences was when we asked it to find gas, it told us to backtrack to the "closest" place. And then there wasn't anything there! Eventually found one, sweating the whole time. Then, when we got back on the right route, and passed where we turned around, there was a gas station at the next exit up!

I drove cross-country with my best friend in the summer of 08...he swears up and down that GPS's are always right, "know" how to avoid traffic, yadda yadda. Pretty funny when he was driving through Sacramento and the voice kept saying "keep left", and then suddenly "exit right ahead"....across 6 lanes of traffic in about 200 yards. Needless to say, we didn't make that exit.

Another incident closer to home...we were heading south on what's now 376 and got to the business split at the airport. The GPS had us take the business route, then exit at Flaugherty Run Road and take the ramp back to mainline 376! My friend then tried to "explain" again to me how it takes multiple things into consideration when deriving a route.

Old 05-19-2012, 08:21 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,709,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestLibertyAve View Post
One of my biggest pet peeves while driving on the highway is when there are signs for TWO MILES preparing you for an exit or split, and you always see people who cut across multiple lanes at the last minute, or who start going the wrong way and then cut back across the "triangle" region of the ramp. If you aren't paying attention to those giant green and white signs all over the highway, maybe you shouldn't be on the highway to begin with.

I agree with you 100 percent. I also knew Greg would respond, he thinks this is proper merging.

Old 05-19-2012, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
How far North past the I-80 does this great driving last? Buffalo? Rochester? Or does it stop just North of Erie?

I drive that route at least 15 times per year and totally disagree with your assessment.
On 79 between I-80 and I-90. I agree that I-90 seems very very congested anymore, but both lanes are clogged, not just one lane over another.

Old 05-19-2012, 08:55 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,680,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
I agree with you 100 percent. I also knew Greg would respond, he thinks this is proper merging.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:12 AM

911 posts, read 2,377,001 times
Pittsburgh's Parkway West most congested stretch outside NY, LA - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Old 05-25-2012, 08:47 AM

WTAE is reporting a vehicle was seen going the wrong way through the Fort Pitt Tunnel this morning. I don't even know what to say.

Old 05-25-2012, 08:51 AM

29,758 posts, read 34,449,009 times
How does that even happen? You'd have to try really hard to get going in the wrong direction.

Old 05-25-2012, 09:08 AM

1,437 posts, read 3,779,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
How does that even happen? You'd have to try really hard to get going in the wrong direction.
I want to know that too. How is it even possible? Where was he entering the tunnel from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh