Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 05:16 PM

9,352 posts, read 13,021,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Trust me, the pedestrian sidewalks on the bridges have no salt being used. The pedestrian sidewalks are where the snow goes when they plow. In other words, no one cares about the people walking. Since walkers and cyclists are so used to no salt anyway, I feel the salt argument is false. Lets face it all the giant SUV's and empty pickups running around are the biggest issue. If only the IQ's were higher in the US, that would be great. I mean driving an empty pickup every day for what reason? Ego? Testosterone? To pound one's chest and feel like a man? It sure is odd. Go to Europe and you won't see all these pickups everywhere. People rent them as needed or they are REAL work trucks. Most of them in our region are not used as intended at all. Maybe once or twice a year at best. What a joke, but we all pay for it because they are heavy and destroy our roads.
The core problem with PA roads is the pitiful amount of money our commonwealth has historically put into maintaining them, regardless of which party may be in power at the moment. Scapegoating against pickup truck drivers is a red herring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2012, 05:21 PM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,999,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
The core problem with PA roads is the pitiful amount of money our commonwealth has historically put into maintaining them, regardless of which party may be in power at the moment. Scapegoating against pickup truck drivers is a red herring.
You are shifting the topic. Drivers DO control what they drive. We are VERY wasteful! Of course our roads are a mess because our government controlled roadways. It would obviously be better to sub all the work out to companies that actually have employees that work for a living, not city/county/state workers that hang around and do nothing.

Old 04-21-2012, 05:50 PM

9,352 posts, read 13,021,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
You are shifting the topic. Drivers DO control what they drive. We are VERY wasteful! Of course our roads are a mess because our government controlled roadways. It would obviously be better to sub all the work out to companies that actually have employees that work for a living, not city/county/state workers that hang around and do nothing.
How am I shifting the topic? You posted a link saying Pittsburgh has the highest proportion of deficient bridges, along with the aside that we need more walkers and cyclists and fewer drivers. I'm casting doubt on the premise that compared to other cities with better-maintained bridges and roadways, Pittsburgh has significantly more drivers of heavier, more road-damaging vehicles. Rather, what sets the Burgh apart is less money devoted to repairing these structures. As bad as our state tends to be at road maintenance, it's a lot less of a pipedream to try and make them get their act together than expect people to trade in or give up their vehicles.

Old 04-21-2012, 07:28 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,843,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
I thought it was Bill Clinton?
Nah, let's just go back all the way to Geo. Washington!

Old 04-21-2012, 07:48 PM

2,458 posts, read 4,206,362 times
Quote:
Lets face it all the giant SUV's and empty pickups running around are the biggest issue.
I'll give credit where credit is due. I think it was in an earlier discussion that Brian pointed out how disproportionately it is that heavy trucks cause wear and tear on highway infrastructure, and I did a little research at that time and the results support that claim. Pickups and SUVs, though heavier than many cars, are not so much heavier as to make them any more of a factor than the average auotmobile.

I also want it to be clear that I'm not discounting the advantages that walking or cycling might offer. I will argue though, that claiming more walking and cycling would reduce wear and tear on the bridges by any appreciable amount is silly.

Old 04-21-2012, 08:12 PM

1,273 posts, read 1,641,000 times
I foresee catastrophe coming when one of those pick up drivers spends a day at Kennywood getting plastered then tries to drive across one of those doomed bridges.....and it will be only worse when the drunken fool tries dodge the tea party members protesting obamas failure to fix them. But it may put us in the limelight again.

Old 04-21-2012, 09:27 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,034,418 times
Given the way we finance road/bridge maintenance, and given the point referenced above about road damage going up much faster with weight than fuel use, I'd guess that holding all else equal it would in fact be a net loss for the condition of our roads/bridges if more people in passenger vehicles (probably including SUVs and lighter-duty pickups) switched to biking and walking. Basically, under the current system we need those fuel taxes to subsidize road/bridge use by heavier commercial vehicles.

Of course it would be a major public policy error to conclude from that analysis that we should discourage people from walking and biking, because there would be many benefits to people doing more of that. Rather, the obvious conclusion is that we need a comprehensive overhaul of how we pay for road/bridge maintenance and repair.

Incidentally, assuming our bridge inspections are working (and they do--most of the time), what should happen is that bridges get closed before they collapse. Widespread road and bridge closures are less dramatic of a future scenario, but from an economic perspective that scenario should be extremely concerning nonetheless.

Old 04-21-2012, 10:01 PM

1,164 posts, read 2,060,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdigger View Post
Cyclists and walkers don't pay the fuel tax, so that'd make things worse, not better. We need more SUV and pickup truck drivers.
The cost of building and maintaining roadways is approximately $3.50 per gallon of fuel; the fuel tax is $0.50 per gallon. WTF do you think the extra $3 comes from? The magic money tree?

Old 04-22-2012, 04:56 AM

2,458 posts, read 4,206,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyev View Post
The cost of building and maintaining roadways is approximately $3.50 per gallon of fuel; the fuel tax is $0.50 per gallon. WTF do you think the extra $3 comes from? The magic money tree?
Is it? That seems pretty exaggerated. Can you cite a source?

And even if it's true, that doesn't negate the fact that unless you're living a survivalist lifestyle, completely off the grid, most of your daily needs depend, at some point in their travel, on the existence of passable roads and bridges for them to reach you.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:18 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,034,418 times
Tracing how much of road costs are actually paid by fuel taxes is a complicated business. Just to give one example, Pennsylvania has fuel taxes, but at the same time exempts fuel from sales taxes. That is economically equivalent to not exempting fuel from the sales tax, but then transferring the same amount of money from the state's general fund and relevant County funds to the state transportation fund.

So if you look at the net fuel tax, meaning net of all taxes AND exemptions for fuel, it ends up paying for a lot less of the state's road costs than the prima facie accounting would suggest, with this hidden transfer from the general fund making up the difference.

Still, that doesn't change the fact that if you increased the ratio of road/bridge wear to fuel used--which would be the case if bikes/walking were substituting for passenger vehicles but not heavier commercial vehicles--you would get an increased gap between the money going into the transportation fund, including this hidden transfer from the general fund, and the state's road/bridge costs.

Last edited by BrianTH; 04-22-2012 at 07:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh