Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 07:53 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,895,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
I have to know that I'm buying something large in advance AND remember to get the cards a day in advance of such a shopping trip. Just doesn't happen often.
Also be wary that if your making a big purchase at say bestbuy & pay with gift cards, you'll lose any extra warranty protections that your credit card would give you on that purchase.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 08:02 AM

1,519 posts, read 2,679,505 times
I'm in the minority it seems, but I prefer smaller neighborhood stores to the Market Districts. I hate shopping in general, and grocery shopping most in particular, and my goal is always to get in, get what I need, and get out in a short period of time. I went to the Robinson Market District shortly after it opened because they had sent out some good coupons and I'm cheap. It was really my personal idea of hell on earth. Too big, too crowded and who the heck designed that parking lot? Why would anyone think it was a good idea to force traffic to flow in front of a grocery store? It's not like you could anticipate lots of pedestrians with carts or anything...

Anyway, since I'm not much of a meat eater, as long as the place is clean, the milk and produce are fresh and I can find the peanut butter (did you ever notice that this is one item that is not always in about the same place in every store) I'm golden. I don't need a lot of different kinds of canned tomatoes or anything so the extra aisles are just lost on me.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:12 AM

1,437 posts, read 3,781,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinare View Post
I went to the Robinson Market District shortly after it opened because they had sent out some good coupons and I'm cheap. It was really my personal idea of hell on earth. Too big, too crowded and who the heck designed that parking lot? Why would anyone think it was a good idea to force traffic to flow in front of a grocery store? It's not like you could anticipate lots of pedestrians with carts or anything...
OMG I agree completely about the parking lot. It's so anoying to try to get to other stores in that complex because you either have to get through the mess in front of Giant Eagle, or if you come in the opposite entrance, you have to deal with the Cinemark traffic if you happen to be lucky enough to come right as a movie is letting out. Worst design ever.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post
OMG I agree completely about the parking lot. It's so anoying to try to get to other stores in that complex because you either have to get through the mess in front of Giant Eagle, or if you come in the opposite entrance, you have to deal with the Cinemark traffic if you happen to be lucky enough to come right as a movie is letting out. Worst design ever.
Yeah, and it's not like they didn't have the space to put a road in the back to allow traffic to scoot from one side to the other. They seemed to have gone out of their way to wind the driveways up the hill to dump traffic out in front of everything. It's almost as if their philosophy was that if you were stuck in traffic, you'd see another store to visit or something.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:56 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,126,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinare View Post
and I can find the peanut butter (did you ever notice that this is one item that is not always in about the same place in every store) I'm golden.
LOL LOL that's how I feel about Boboli Pizza Shells. I make great pizzas and so I buy the shells quite often--you'd be amazed at the different places stores hide them. I've seen them in bakery departments, ethnic foods ( ) dairy (I guess because the cheese is there?) and even in oddball spots that don't seem to have any connection to the items nearby.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:00 AM

632 posts, read 1,072,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
LOL LOL that's how I feel about Boboli Pizza Shells. I make great pizzas and so I buy the shells quite often--you'd be amazed at the different places stores hide them. I've seen them in bakery departments, ethnic foods ( ) dairy (I guess because the cheese is there?) and even in oddball spots that don't seem to have any connection to the items nearby.
This!

Its seriously a scavenger hunt.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:04 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,895,065 times
Popcorn can be another search mission - the Waterfront GE for one embeds it within the candy section

Old 05-01-2012, 10:05 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,036,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
As far as I'm concerned, you need a big car for them to be a particularly good deal. If I let my car get super empty I'm putting in 12 gallons. So I spend 50 bucks at Giant Eagle and that 10 cents off would save a whole $1.20. That kind of return is often not worth the hassle of getting gift cards first.
Yeah it is a scam. Sure if I had an Excursion and let the fuel in that run down to nothing, it is almost worth something. Those of us that are sensible and drive cars that are much more earth friendly get crushed. I think I can get about 13 or so gallons in my car. I don't like to let it run down to nothing just to fill it up though. Anyway, it is almost like they are supporting huge vehicles, but that is the whole feel of that place for me. Big SUV's filling the parking lots and aggressive shoppers running around thinking they are getting some deal because they can get fuel perks when they spend a bunch or money on very overpriced groceries. It is kind of funny, but it works great as a marketing tool. That is why I always feel like I am getting scammed when I go there. You have to have that dumb little card that makes you feel like you belong to the Giant Eagle club. Then you spend a bunch of money on GMO food with every preservative and steroid known to man in each product and you are off to the gas station to get your reward for falling for all that stuff. Goodness! Then of course if you drive a huge SUV, you get a bigger reward! Yahoo! Oh yeah, they have organics at Giant Eagle. Have you ever priced them there? They certainly aren't supporting organics with those crazy prices. Just compare those prices to TJ's or even Whole Paycheck. It is shocking anyone can afford any of it, but they do.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:08 AM

29,764 posts, read 34,486,345 times
Quote:
Have you ever priced them there? They certainly aren't supporting organics with those crazy prices. Just compare those prices to TJ's or even Whole Paycheck. It is shocking anyone can afford any of it, but they do.
Perhaps people are willing to pay a bit extra for organic food at their local GE. For people who don't live either in the East End or near South Hills Village, that's more convenient than having to drive across town for a few items.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
LOL -- that's another one. I usually see them in an end-of-the-aisle display in some odd location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh