Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 06:37 AM

106 posts, read 212,096 times

Advertisements

And what is with these people slowing down before entering tunnels...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 06:45 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,720,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjost7 View Post
And what is with these people slowing down before entering tunnels...?
I read this post in Jerry Seinfeld's voice.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:14 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,704,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Roll_Up View Post
Prob people on burn rides...me and my friends used to do that all the time. Smoke a bong, then go drive around

Take a lesson in making your posts believable before you attempt to post again.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:20 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,720,168 times
Kids went on smoke rides all the time when I was in high school.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:39 AM

248 posts, read 326,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
This isn't a Pittsburgh thing. It is a US thing. It also isn't the fault of the population. It is the fault of education. People in the US are not educated like they are in Northern Europe. We are not trained to keep right unless passing. We don't have rules of the road other than those signs that say stop or yield. Of course yield is a gray area. Some actually feel that is go no matter how much room in-between cars that are already on the main road. Anyway, it isn't about Pittsburgh. It is that people in ALL of the US are not educated on proper driving. That is where the failure lies.
I agree with this completely, at least in my experience here in DC. It happens all the time, particularly on the 4-lane part of I-66. I think a lot of people treat the left lane like any other lane. They're not trying to be jerks they just don't know that they're affecting anyone else.

We drove around eastern Canada quite a bit a few years ago and were both shocked at the behavior of drivers. They would approach a car from behind in the right lane, switch to the left lane as they got close, and then switch back to the right lane after they passed. This is with no other cars within a few hundred feet. I think that people were just taught to respect other drivers there as they learned to drive.

It's not the 30 second delay that matters, it's respect for your fellow drivers. You're making their drive more difficult by forcing them to deal with an unnecessary traffic jam.

Old 04-30-2012, 12:00 PM

4 posts, read 4,281 times
I really love when I'm in the left lane about to pass someone and they swerve out in front of me and stand on their brakes like they want to punish me for daring to go faster than them. It happens way too often.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:10 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,704,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spheyr View Post
I really love when I'm in the left lane about to pass someone and they swerve out in front of me and stand on their brakes like they want to punish me for daring to go faster than them. It happens way too often.

Yep, I call those folks COPS (citizens on patrol). You don't see that happening in much larger cities, because people are living in the 21st century and realize something so stupid can cause someone to pull a gun on them.

When someone does that to me, I pass them and do the same thing right back. Most people expect that to scare others, but don't know how to react when the person they've done that to is not scared, and turns around and does the same thing back.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:16 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoh View Post
I agree with this completely, at least in my experience here in DC. It happens all the time, particularly on the 4-lane part of I-66. I think a lot of people treat the left lane like any other lane. They're not trying to be jerks they just don't know that they're affecting anyone else.

We drove around eastern Canada quite a bit a few years ago and were both shocked at the behavior of drivers. They would approach a car from behind in the right lane, switch to the left lane as they got close, and then switch back to the right lane after they passed. This is with no other cars within a few hundred feet. I think that people were just taught to respect other drivers there as they learned to drive.

It's not the 30 second delay that matters, it's respect for your fellow drivers. You're making their drive more difficult by forcing them to deal with an unnecessary traffic jam.
Of course this is true. People in the US were not educated to drive correctly. It has nothing to do with Pittsburgh. Those of us that have travelled extensively in the US and abroad know this. It can't be argued.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:19 PM

632 posts, read 1,071,258 times
*bites tongue*

Old 04-30-2012, 01:21 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
I was trained to do so. I've never seen the left lane completely full of cars while the right lane is either relatively or fully clear anywhere else. I've seen all lanes clogged in other areas, but not just the left lane.
Listen, your fist or last name is "Scott". You already have a leg up in the education department if I know you as well as I think I do. Just look at history. Anyway, yes YOU were educated to do so and that would be the norm in your circles. MOST are not educated in the least. You need to realize not all are raised like we are, because education is in our upbringing to a degree that most wouldn't get. Lucky your in the East End. It will continue to progress to be more pleasing to your style. At least I feel it will. Try and relax and keep some humor in your mind. That is what I do ever day I see people using their brakes as they climb the hill through the zoo because they cannot anticipate the bend in the road ahead. It is too funny to watch. Guess they just replace their brakes all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh