Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 01:45 PM

51 posts, read 49,902 times

Advertisements

I'm new to the forum and this might sound like a stupid topic, but I just wanted to get some takes on it. I don't live in Pittsburgh proper. Let's just say I live in the area, which has the same particles in the air, same filthy roads, same potholes.

For fellow neat-freaks here: What are the best products that u use for keeping your rides shiny and clean in western PA? I have my own methods, but I just thought I'd get some other opinions as well. One of my vehicles isn't used in the winter or in foul weather, but it still seems to get filthy immediately after pulling out of my driveway even in the summer. This didn't happen though when I took it to Ocean city for a week this summer. I cleaned it once when I got there, and it remained spotless all week. As soon as I got into PA-filthy again because our air quality sucks and there's so much grime and grit everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2007, 02:00 PM

24 posts, read 31,754 times
I never noticed problems except in spring when the salt and cinders are still on the road. Atleast you arn't in the dry western states where it is like a dust bowl. Your car always turns brown.

Old 09-27-2007, 03:44 PM

457 posts, read 431,581 times
How to keep a car clean in PA: keep it in the garage! ;-) even then they seem to get dusty fast lol

Old 09-27-2007, 08:51 PM

511 posts, read 1,937,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 505ci View Post
I'm new to the forum and this might sound like a stupid topic, but I just wanted to get some takes on it. I don't live in Pittsburgh proper. Let's just say I live in the area, which has the same particles in the air, same filthy roads, same potholes.

For fellow neat-freaks here: What are the best products that u use for keeping your rides shiny and clean in western PA? I have my own methods, but I just thought I'd get some other opinions as well. One of my vehicles isn't used in the winter or in foul weather, but it still seems to get filthy immediately after pulling out of my driveway even in the summer. This didn't happen though when I took it to Ocean city for a week this summer. I cleaned it once when I got there, and it remained spotless all week. As soon as I got into PA-filthy again because our air quality sucks and there's so much grime and grit everywhere.
I am a German car fanatic, and I have to say it never ceases to disgust me when you see a higher end BMW or Porsche and the front wheels have a ton of brake dust on them. Disgusting!!!

Anyway, I use either Blue Corral car wash and am just now giving Eagle One a try. I have a California duster for the outside and interior of the car. Other then that, Armor All cleaning products for interrior and wheels.

Old 09-27-2007, 09:02 PM

314 posts, read 849,307 times
I see from your name VW falls in that category. I just bought a new GTI...representing Deutschland (sp?)...my fast sits in my dash

Old 09-27-2007, 09:33 PM

43 posts, read 133,611 times
Okay, this was mentioned before: IS the air in Pgh *really* that dirty?? I'm considering moving from DC Metro and hate the air and the climate here, always muggy and smoggy. The thing that I do notice when I visit SW PA is that people burn their own trash in barrels and *then* you really can't breathe. But is the overall air quality worse than the average city?

And the sun only shines average 60 days a year, for real?? Ugh, please say it ain't so!

Old 09-27-2007, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemajabee View Post
Okay, this was mentioned before: IS the air in Pgh *really* that dirty?? I'm considering moving from DC Metro and hate the air and the climate here, always muggy and smoggy. The thing that I do notice when I visit SW PA is that people burn their own trash in barrels and *then* you really can't breathe. But is the overall air quality worse than the average city?

And the sun only shines average 60 days a year, for real?? Ugh, please say it ain't so!
The sunshine thing is a big topic of debate. Really, from April until December it's pretty decent. I think by 60 days they mean 60 days with NO clouds. They don't take into consideration the partly cloudy days here, which are still nice. As far as winter goes, look out. The difference between DC and Pittsburgh will be tough. When it's 50 in DC, it's 35ish in Pittsburgh. Also, be prepared for low pressure, overcast skies pretty much all winter season. We do after all, live in the mountains here. Some people forget that. Low pressure systems tend to hang around here in the winter and early Spring. It's just a fact of life.

The air here is bad also, but you can't see it. It's mostly fine particulates. This is a bad area for anyone with respiratory issues.

As far as it being muggy, yes it is. That lasts from late may until September and usually peaks in late July / early August. Smog? No. Not really. Maybe a weather inversion or two from a steel mill or power plant, but that's it. Pittsburgh is a small city. There's probably some smog, but not enough to really notice.

Old 09-27-2007, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwscottie View Post
I am a German car fanatic, and I have to say it never ceases to disgust me when you see a higher end BMW or Porsche and the front wheels have a ton of brake dust on them. Disgusting!!!

Anyway, I use either Blue Corral car wash and am just now giving Eagle One a try. I have a California duster for the outside and interior of the car. Other then that, Armor All cleaning products for interrior and wheels.
I've been using black magic products for the exterior (tire shiner, wheel cleaner, quick wax). On the interior I just wipe everything down with those Meguire's wipes once in a while.

Maybe I'll try the blue Corral car wash. My biggest problem is loosening up the film that gets on the paint after I drive 10 miles. The car wash won't take it off. It looks good, but I can feel that crap still on the truck when I run my fingers over it. Arrgh. I'm getting irritated just talking about it!

I hear you on the brake dust. That's an uphill battle for me. 14 inch rotors and 22 aluminum rims don't make for a good combination if you wanna keep em' clean.

Old 09-27-2007, 11:28 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Okay, this was mentioned before: IS the air in Pgh *really* that dirty??
Regardless of where you live in the world, cars don't stay clean when it rains. It rains in Pittsburgh fairly often.

Quote:
The thing that I do notice when I visit SW PA is that people burn their own trash in barrels and *then* you really can't breathe.
Burning garbage is against the law in Allegheny County.

Old 09-27-2007, 11:45 PM

Sadly, they burn garbage here in Westmoreland county all the time. It's gross. Burn day means I get to breathe in atoms of cardboard, plastic, soiled diapers, and god knows what else all day. I don't burn stuff, but most of my neighbors do. I really don't see any reason why they burn their garbage, but alas..they're up at 7am on burn day to lite the burn bin. Maybe they just like to set things on fire. Who knows. At any rate, it's very hickish to burn garbage IMO. My neighbors are hicks I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: