Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 02:11 PM

2,109 posts, read 2,159,200 times

Advertisements

For P-R, and this is the case for many other districts in the state, default on debt via bankruptcy is not an option, so capital projects already financed through debt (football stadium and palatial middle school, in the case of PR) and pension obligations already promised are a done deal. The only way to cut spending is to cut current programs, which we have seen is pretty unpalatable. I don't see a ton of waste in the funding of current operations of most school districts, other than the Cadillac health plans and low contributions to said plans. Quite the predicament, if you ask me.

These residents should have been signing petitions and banding together en masse during the budget passing where the capital projects and debt issues were approved. Anything to be done now, in the case of P-R, is pretty much a drop in the bucket and at the detriment of the students. It's a sad state of affairs, but it's very much the lay of the land in some places, where overt displays of (false) wealth and grandeur are the norm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 02:16 PM

2,109 posts, read 2,159,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southeastlady View Post
My point exactly...this is why our group's endeavor is to have an impact upon cost over runs in our school district that inflate taxes needlessly and chase people out of their homes as appears to be the case with you. Good luck with the sale of your home and happiness in wherever you choose as an alternative lower tax location.

I for one would prefer to stay in the home that we have worked hard for and "fight the fight" so to speak and not allow extraneous situations to uproot us. This decision will have to based on many factors and not just the tax structure in my community.
I'm not trying to be combative here, but what exactly do you intend to do about money already spent, as is the case for promised pension benefits and the massive capital projects in the district? "Fighting the fight" is way overdue, and it is a near certainty that your taxes will remain flat or go up for years to come, they're certainly not going down. Understood that the intent is to chip away at this kind of thing and prevent anything similar from happening in the future, but for now, you're kind of handcuffed. If the current tax situation is unaffordable and your income isn't likely to improve, it's probably time to leave or work to spur some massive commercial development that will supplement school taxes generated by residential property.

Old 07-23-2012, 02:28 PM

1 posts, read 1,629 times
Direct information from Pine-Richland school district shows 20% of their teachers are making $92,000 or above with an average of $20,000 benefit package. Many of these highly paid teachers have NOT been teaching for 30 years yet.
And as to the comment that the residents "should have been" doing all this sooner....yes, you are right, but we messed up.
If we don't stop the ever increasing cycle now of the teacher's contract, we will get locked in to paying more and more out in the next 3 or 4 years or how ever long the contract is for and the ONLY thing we'll be able to cut will be programs for the kids. This whole thing is a vicious cycle and as long as the pensions exist sucking the life out of school districts as they do (& will be close to tripling over the next few years) nothing will stop taxes from continually spiraling upward.

Old 07-23-2012, 03:09 PM

270 posts, read 340,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriotmom54 View Post
Direct information from Pine-Richland school district shows 20% of their teachers are making $92,000 or above with an average of $20,000 benefit package. Many of these highly paid teachers have NOT been teaching for 30 years yet.
And as to the comment that the residents "should have been" doing all this sooner....yes, you are right, but we messed up.
If we don't stop the ever increasing cycle now of the teacher's contract, we will get locked in to paying more and more out in the next 3 or 4 years or how ever long the contract is for and the ONLY thing we'll be able to cut will be programs for the kids. This whole thing is a vicious cycle and as long as the pensions exist sucking the life out of school districts as they do (& will be close to tripling over the next few years) nothing will stop taxes from continually spiraling upward.

It's the same in USC. The school board's short term solution is to raise taxes as much as possible using every loophole they can find, but it still won't close the crazy pension gap. Pretty soon there will be some sort of "citizen's revolt" in my SD too, becuase contrary to many Pittsburghers' beliefs, USC residents don't all have money growing out of their ears.

The reputation of school districts like P-R, USC, Mt. Lebo, NA, etc. makes it easier for them to keep raising the taxes, since they can always say "hey, it takes money to maintain a top-rated school district! You don't want us to become a big mess like the city schools, do you?"

Old 07-23-2012, 03:23 PM

270 posts, read 340,895 times
By the way, I do appreciate the quality and dedication of the teachers in USC's schools, they really are top-notch and it's dang hard, and incredibly competitive, to get a teaching job there. I suspect the same is true of Pine-Richland.

However, I work in private industry. I like to think I work hard and so do my co-workers. I don't get a fat pension or free healthcare, and my raises are not guaranteed every year. Know why? Because it is financially unsustainable in 2012. Most corporations or small businesses would not last long providing those levels of compensation. But school districts haven't had to worry about that, because they can just grab more money from the local taxpayers whenever they run out. Until now. Oops.

Old 07-23-2012, 03:25 PM

158 posts, read 345,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post
I'm not trying to be combative here, but what exactly do you intend to do about money already spent, as is the case for promised pension benefits and the massive capital projects in the district? "Fighting the fight" is way overdue, and it is a near certainty that your taxes will remain flat or go up for years to come, they're certainly not going down. Understood that the intent is to chip away at this kind of thing and prevent anything similar from happening in the future, but for now, you're kind of handcuffed. If the current tax situation is unaffordable and your income isn't likely to improve, it's probably time to leave or work to spur some massive commercial development that will supplement school taxes generated by residential property.
If you wish to speak out directly to the schoold board in mass, join our group. The more representation from the community, the greater the chance that we will not be complaining about similar issues 5-10 years from now. If interested, direct email me and we will forward contact info to you.

Old 07-23-2012, 04:42 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,034,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garvdog View Post
By the way, I do appreciate the quality and dedication of the teachers in USC's schools, they really are top-notch and it's dang hard, and incredibly competitive, to get a teaching job there. I suspect the same is true of Pine-Richland.

However, I work in private industry. I like to think I work hard and so do my co-workers. I don't get a fat pension or free healthcare, and my raises are not guaranteed every year. Know why? Because it is financially unsustainable in 2012. Most corporations or small businesses would not last long providing those levels of compensation. But school districts haven't had to worry about that, because they can just grab more money from the local taxpayers whenever they run out. Until now. Oops.
I so wholeheartedly agree with your analogy, and I believe that any competitive business could not stay that way if employee compensation levels were/are so off-kilter (as they are in many Pa. public schools). This is what makes the Pine-Richland's recent school board decision to "enhance" the compensation package for district administrators so disturbing. Cut programs, reduce educational opportunities, raise school taxes, reduce teaching staff and vocalize the inequity of reduced state spending- all were key points of the PR budget process in May/June. In July, a 1.1 million dollar stoplight at the high school, free smartphones for all district administrators, no-report work days for the bosses (with a colleague's permission), a minimum cost Cadillac health benefit package, plus a 3% raise- how can PR teachers not expect a new contract reflecting the financial stupor of this school board? Hold onto your wallets, Pine-Richland property owners, your school board knows only one way to govern...... spend without regard to any level of fiscal responsibility. The district test scores are not improving, but big rewards come the way of those who are in charge in Pine-Richland. It may become very ugly in teacher contract negotiations with a school board prone to speak out of both sides of its collective mouth.

Old 07-23-2012, 05:52 PM

158 posts, read 345,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredcoach View Post
I so wholeheartedly agree with your analogy, and I believe that any competitive business could not stay that way if employee compensation levels were/are so off-kilter (as they are in many Pa. public schools). This is what makes the Pine-Richland's recent school board decision to "enhance" the compensation package for district administrators so disturbing. Cut programs, reduce educational opportunities, raise school taxes, reduce teaching staff and vocalize the inequity of reduced state spending- all were key points of the PR budget process in May/June. In July, a 1.1 million dollar stoplight at the high school, free smartphones for all district administrators, no-report work days for the bosses (with a colleague's permission), a minimum cost Cadillac health benefit package, plus a 3% raise- how can PR teachers not expect a new contract reflecting the financial stupor of this school board? Hold onto your wallets, Pine-Richland property owners, your school board knows only one way to govern...... spend without regard to any level of fiscal responsibility. The district test scores are not improving, but big rewards come the way of those who are in charge in Pine-Richland. It may become very ugly in teacher contract negotiations with a school board prone to speak out of both sides of its collective mouth.
Is there a clarification on the "free" smartphones for all district administrators? Does this include personal usage, texting, apps?

Interesting that you used the word "free" when referencing the smartphones. I hope that any Pine Richland tax payer reading this realizes that it is free to these public employees because their tax dollars are paying for it. You know, those tax dollars that if they were not excessive, may have given them the opportunity to buy one for themselves.

So now Pine Richland tax payers, not only are you contributing to free cell phones for strangers in this country through your phone bills, you get to pay for them for our public employees as well.

I certainly hope our public employee district administrators do not decide to sell their smartphones for added cash as many of those strangers we all buying multiple cell phones for are doing.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:50 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,034,929 times
Quote:
Is there a clarification on the "free" smartphones for all district administrators? Does this include personal usage, texting, apps?

Interesting that you used the word "free" when referencing the smartphones. I hope that any Pine Richland tax payer reading this realizes that it is free to these public employees because their tax dollars are paying for it. You know, those tax dollars that if they were not excessive, may have given them the opportunity to buy one for themselves.

So now Pine Richland tax payers, not only are you contributing to free cell phones for strangers in this country through your phone bills, you get to pay for them for our public employees as well.

I certainly hope our public employee district administrators do not decide to sell their smartphones for added cash as many of those strangers we all buying multiple cell phones for are doing.
From the Pine-Richland Patch outlining the administrative compensation package :

School Board Approves Compensation Plans - Pine-Richland, PA Patch

From the Pine-Richland School board documents of the July 16 board meeting surrounding the new compensation package for district administration:
http://www.boarddocs.com/pa/prsd/board.nsf/files/8WA2ZU04A849/$file
/Act%2093%20Compensation%20Plan%202012-2015%20%20%287.16.%29.pdf

As a side note, school board director Lyons likes to remind residents that Act 93 employees had a pay freeze last school year. Do you want to wager that the "work at home"/ take the random days off perk was initiated then as an incentive for the Act 93 administrators to sell the wage freeze? In other words, for the sake of receiving good press, the board asks for a freeze, gives administrators added undocumented vacation/ days off, and then rewards them with a generous compensation package (voted upon at the July board meeting when the fewest citizens have the information, or cannot attend). Good luck in your search for greater accountability from this school board- they have truly lost track of their responsibilities to the citizenry and the students.

Old 07-23-2012, 08:12 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
My point exactly...this is why our group's endeavor is to have an impact upon cost over runs in our school district that inflate taxes needlessly and chase people out of their homes as appears to be the case with you. Good luck with the sale of your home and happiness in wherever you choose as an alternative lower tax location.
I'm not being chased out. I'm smartly deciding that I no longer need to live in a top school district now that my children are raised. We're a long way from being on fixed incomes, but we're being smart about protecting our finances. You're the one who is "going broke," not me.

Quote:
I for one would prefer to stay in the home that we have worked hard for and "fight the fight" so to speak and not allow extraneous situations to uproot us. This decision will have to based on many factors and not just the tax structure in my community.
You'll never win against the rising costs of education. Never. Your fight will be for not. I know because my parents fought the same fight you're fighting decades ago. The school board gives you a chance to tantrum, but they'll still vote according to the wishes of the majority of the population. If you truly think you have the majority, run for school board. If you can't win school board, you have little chance of influencing the school board.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh