Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 09:11 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,581,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Taxes in the popular townships near the Allegheny county border will go up quickly within the next decade.

Why so?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2012, 09:56 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,036,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post
Why so?
I doubt it as well. Just different out of the corrupt Allegheny County. That is why the other counties grow. They are tired of the corruption. Sadly, they still have to deal with the state and federal level crap. I mean PennDot and the dumb State Store ripoff crap. Ah well, it is what it is.

Old 08-05-2012, 04:38 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,191,090 times
Quote:
Why so?
Because the school districts will grow and new school buildings will need to be built, etc. If you look at the taxes for townships in Butler and Washington counties, you will see that the property tax is already higher for the townships closest to the border (Peters, Cranberry) compared to other townships further away from the border in those counties. As people continue to flee Allegheny County into those areas, property taxes will be increased to provide services for the larger population, specifically schools needing more teachers, new buildings, etc., to accomodate the larger number of students. The property taxes might be a savings in the short term compared to Allegheny County townships, but the savings won't remain long term for homeowners hoping to live in their homes for 30+ years.

Quote:
I doubt it as well. Just different out of the corrupt Allegheny County. That is why the other counties grow. They are tired of the corruption. Sadly, they still have to deal with the state and federal level crap. I mean PennDot and the dumb State Store ripoff crap. Ah well, it is what it is.
It's mostly the school districts that cause property taxes to increase. As the townships in surrounding counties grow, their school districts will need more money to provide services to the increased population. People who have lived in Peters their entire lives have already seen property tax increases because the newcomers cause tax increases. The same has happened in the Mars area school district. These areas are still a savings compared to Allegheny County but the property taxes will continue to increase as the populations increase.

Old 08-05-2012, 08:29 AM

158 posts, read 346,077 times
Quote:
Because the school districts will grow and new school buildings will need to be built, etc. If you look at the taxes for townships in Butler and Washington counties, you will see that the property tax is already higher for the townships closest to the border (Peters, Cranberry) compared to other townships further away from the border in those counties. As people continue to flee Allegheny County into those areas, property taxes will be increased to provide services for the larger population, specifically schools needing more teachers, new buildings, etc., to accomodate the larger number of students. The property taxes might be a savings in the short term compared to Allegheny County townships, but the savings won't remain long term for homeowners hoping to live in their homes for 30+ years.

It's mostly the school districts that cause property taxes to increase. As the townships in surrounding counties grow, their school districts will need more money to provide services to the increased population. People who have lived in Peters their entire lives have already seen property tax increases because the newcomers cause tax increases. The same has happened in the Mars area school district. These areas are still a savings compared to Allegheny County but the property taxes will continue to increase as the populations increase.

The PSERS employer rate for 2011-2012 was 8.65%. This rate will increase to 12.36% for 2012-2013.

The projection rates for PSERS employer rates which have been established by the PSERS Board of Trustees continue to increase per fiscal year with a projected rate of 27.58% by 2021-2022.

These projections show that within the next four years ALL school district contributions to the Public School Employees Retirement System (PSERS) will increase to over 25% of salaries/wages.

This dire situation is the culprit that will cause increases in taxes in every county in the state. As an example, the projected increases will cost Pine Richland School District an additional $4.9 million in the next four years, based on an estimated salary figure without factoring any annual increases in salaries or wages. Even after deducting state reimbursement, Pine Richland will still incur an increase of over $2.5 million over the next four years related to PSERS contributions.

The concern for increased taxes in Pine Richland due to this deficit is not simply an issue in this district alone. It is widespread and will cause concern for all taxpayers, if indeed and infact it has not already done so since we the taxpayers are the employer.

Regarding increases in counties needing to provide extra services due to population increase, one should examine the Butler County paradigm. There has been a huge influx of both residents and businesses into this county, primarily into Cranberry Township. The tax base that this infusion produces far out strips the need for additional services due to population growth. Butler County property taxes remain low and stable.

Old 08-05-2012, 09:43 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,036,400 times
Quote:
As the townships in surrounding counties grow, their school districts will need more money to provide services to the increased population.
This make absolutely no sense. If an area "grows", the tax base grows. When a home is built, there will be more tax revenue. Don't fall for the excuses we here around here. Believe me, in our region if a new development is built the school district will just find a way to spend the new money. You know a nice raise to the administrators or whatever.

Old 08-05-2012, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
This make absolutely no sense. If an area "grows", the tax base grows. When a home is built, there will be more tax revenue. Don't fall for the excuses we here around here. Believe me, in our region if a new development is built the school district will just find a way to spend the new money. You know a nice raise to the administrators or whatever.
That's why the taxes will go up!

Thank you for validating my point!

Old 08-05-2012, 11:10 AM

25 posts, read 39,639 times
Quote:
That's why the taxes will go up!

Thank you for validating my point!

Hopes....you're missing the point that hcurtis & southeast lady are explaining.

New developments and business bring in increased revenue. Hcurtis is saying that this increased revenue is then abused by the school districts with wasteful spending. Southeast lady did a great job showing you that the underfunded teachers retirement will continue to raise taxes way into the future.

You're just not getting it....try listening to these posts, expecially Southeast lady with all her facts and maybe it will help you to get a grasp on what is really happening.

Southeast lady keeps showing the pine richland taxpayers why they need to worry and get behind the effort. If I lived in pine richland, I would follow southeast lady and her group and support them 100%.

Old 08-05-2012, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVmove View Post
Hopes....you're missing the point that hcurtis & southeast lady are explaining.

New developments and business bring in increased revenue. Hcurtis is saying that this increased revenue is then abused by the school districts with wasteful spending. Southeast lady did a great job showing you that the underfunded teachers retirement will continue to raise taxes way into the future.

You're just not getting it....try listening to these posts, expecially Southeast lady with all her facts and maybe it will help you to get a grasp on what is really happening.
I'm not missing the point. Someone asked me how it's possible for property taxes to continue to rise townships near the Allegheny County border in surrounding counties. It's possible because school districts will continue to abuse increased revenue via wasteful spending, and it's also possible because property assessments will continue to rise. Property values will rise fastest in high-demand areas. Cranberry and Peters already have higher taxes than other townships in their respective counties. People living in Allegheny County might think those taxes are a bargain, but residents in those townships will continue to see a rise in their property taxes, especially as property assessments increase with the demand for housing in those townships. Lifetime residents of Peters and Cranberry have already seen a signfiicant tax increase throughout the decades compared to what they paid prior to the townships becoming popular. The increase in property assessments is the main reason for the increase in my Allegheny County property taxes for my properties in both Hampton and Pine Richland. If my assesssments weren't raised to almost double my property values, my taxes wouldn't be much higher even with millage increases.

If you look back to where this particular discussion started, you will see that I wasn't discussing anything related to Southeastlady whatsoever. I was merely warning Velvet Jones to not simply jump that 500 meters across the border into Peters Township because property taxes will continue to rise in Peters. If she plans to live in her life for many decades and avoid high property taxes, she would be wise to move further out or into a township that isn't in the highest demand.

Old 08-05-2012, 12:34 PM

25 posts, read 39,639 times
Quote:
I'm not missing the point. Someone asked me how it's possible for property taxes to continue to rise townships near the Allegheny County border in surrounding counties. It's possible because school districts will continue to abuse increased revenue via wasteful spending, and it's also possible because property assessments will continue to rise. Property values will rise fastest in high-demand areas. Cranberry and Peters already have higher taxes than other townships in their respective counties. People living in Allegheny County might think those taxes are a bargain, but residents in those townships will continue to see a rise in their property taxes, especially as property assessments increase with the demand for housing in those townships. Lifetime residents of Peters and Cranberry have already seen a signfiicant tax increase throughout the decades compared to what they paid prior to the townships becoming popular. The increase in property assessments is the main reason for the increase in my Allegheny County property taxes for my properties in both Hampton and Pine Richland. If my assesssments weren't raised to almost double my property values, my taxes wouldn't be much higher even with millage increases.

If you look back to where this particular discussion started, you will see that I wasn't discussing anything related to Southeastlady whatsoever. I was merely warning Velvet Jones to not simply jump that 500 meters across the border into Peters Township because property taxes will continue to rise in Peters. If she plans to live in her life for many decades and avoid high property taxes, she would be wise to move further out or into a township that isn't in the highest demand.
Hopes, just curious....if you don't mind me asking, which home do you live in, the one you own in Hampton or the one you own in Pine Richland?

Old 08-05-2012, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVmove View Post
Hopes, just curious....if you don't mind me asking, which home do you live in, the one you own in Hampton or the one you own in Pine Richland?
Hampton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh