Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 09:08 PM

6,358 posts, read 5,055,067 times

Advertisements

every week i check out the four bands whose CDs are reviewed in a City Paper column.

i never get through the entire CD, and have never made note of the unknown band or the name of the release in question.

but this one, i like a lot. at least its daring and experimental a bit:

Life Vacation | The Woodpile

hope no one minds that i posted ths. its not fishing for hits. i just think they are a cool band!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 06:13 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,719,253 times
I don't think FM ratings are an accurate representation of city's music listening demographic since FM radio has reached the point of near irrelevancy due to the many other outlets for people to acquire music. Granted, FM is still very big in Pittsburgh (probably due to the local sports factor).

I think a better representation would be observing how the entire town shuts down when there is a Kenny Chesney concert.

Old 07-30-2012, 06:46 AM

675 posts, read 2,098,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
KQMT (99.5 FM) and KRFX (103.5 FM) are both Classic Rock stations serving Denver. KQMT had a 5.7 rating in June, and KRFX had a 5.0 rating, for a combined rating of 10.7, which easily surpasses the 8.1 rating that WDVE had. Both Denver stations have playlists with songs from as early as the mid-1960's and as recent as the mid-1990's, but the majority of each playlist comes from the 1970's and 1980's, with KQMT having more of a 1980's bias and KRFX having more of a 1970's bias.

The top 10 songs listed on KQMT are:

1. "Devil Inside" - INXS
2. "Why Can't This Be Love" - Van Halen
3. "Sunday Bloody Sunday" - U2
4. "Bohemian Rhapsody" - Queen
5. "On The Turning Away" - Pink Floyd
6. "What You Need" - INXS
7. "De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da" - The Police
8. "The One I Love" - R.E.M.
9. "Rocky Mountain Way" - Joe Walsh
10. "You Can't Always Get What You Want" - The Rolling Stones

The top 10 songs listed on KRFX are:

1. "More Than A Feeling" - Boston
2. "Every Breath You Take" - The Police
3. "Sweet Emotion" - Aerosmith
4. "Layla" - Derek & The Dominoes
5. "Don't You (Forget About Me)" - Simple Minds
6. "The Joker" - Steve Miller Band
7. "Life's Been Good" - Joe Walsh
8. "Tush" - ZZ Top
9. "Carry On Wayward Son" - Kansas
10. "The Logical Song" - Supertramp

To compare, the top 10 songs listed on WDVE are:*

1. "School's Out" - Alice Cooper
2. "All Along The Watchtower" - Jimi Hendrix
3. "Hey Hey, My My (Into The Black)" - Neil Young
4. "If I Wanted Someone" - Dawes
5. "Sultans Of Swing" - Dire Straits
6. "Gold On The Ceiling" - The Black Keys
7. "Love Is Like A Rock" - Donnie Iris
8. "Saturday Night Special" - Lynyrd Skynyrd
9. "Rock And Roll All Nite" - KISS
10. "Just What I Needed" - The Cars

(*: The interactive playlist ranking I have has left the #6 and #9 positions vacant for some reason, so these are the top 10 songs that are actually listed.)

If anything, WDVE does a better job of including current rock in their playlist than either Denver station, considering Dawes and The Black Keys are both relatively new bands.
Interesting, I've never heard of The Fox (KRFX) and I used to listen to The Mountain (KQMT), but for some reason never thought of it as a Classic Rock station. So, my real question is, how does Arbitron arrive at these ratings?

Old 08-02-2012, 10:56 AM

144 posts, read 224,568 times
3.4 - Chicago Surprised that Chicago is so low considering they were a big blues city, which is big influence on rock music.
3.2 - Los Angeles This low for the City that gave us bands such as Guns 'n Roses? All those bands that played the Sunset Strip? Don't Angelenos know their roots?!

Combined Arbitron ratings for all Country radio stations in MSAs with 1,000,000+ population (June 2012)

8.7 - Seattle Put this into perspective: Pittsburgh wasn't really high on the country ratings list, but it had a lot of people get excited for the Kenny Chesney show. If Seattle is more into country, then I can imagine Pearl Jam busting out some banjoes and fiddles and having Toby Keith appear on their new single
7.3 - Pittsburgh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh