Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 09:14 PM

321 posts, read 861,162 times

Advertisements

If and when red light cameras are installed, if the light turns yellow as you approach, be sure to slam on your brakes so you stop prior to entering the intersection. You may get rear-ended, but at least you won't get the ticket from the camera.

It's all about the municipality making money. Red light cameras are known to increase accidents. Council Bluffs, IA reduced their yellow cycle when they installed red light cameras, so they could generate more revenue. I doubt they want you to know how much their accident rate went up on that street...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2012, 09:20 AM

1,445 posts, read 1,972,151 times
Actually a US Transportation Administration study shows that accident rates stay about the same after red light cameras are installed but the nature of the crashes changes. Basically, they greatly reduce the number of broadside accidents but increase the number of rear-end accidents. I can't tell from the summary of the study how long the period of data collection was, I would think that the number of rear ending incidents would go down once people got it through their heads that the car in front of them was likely to stop at the red light.

Old 09-12-2012, 10:39 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,652,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneW View Post
Actually a US Transportation Administration study shows that accident rates stay about the same after red light cameras are installed but the nature of the crashes changes. Basically, they greatly reduce the number of broadside accidents but increase the number of rear-end accidents. I can't tell from the summary of the study how long the period of data collection was, I would think that the number of rear ending incidents would go down once people got it through their heads that the car in front of them was likely to stop at the red light.
This is what I remember as well. The thing is, I don't think the rear ending incidents will go down that much over time because ultimately only so many people are aware of the yellow timing and the presence of cameras. Short of a mechanical problem there is really no excuse for a rear ending accident on the part of the offender, so the people committing those were just getting a reprieve because of the number of people pushing the light, and the change makes it harder for them to avoid the stupid accident.

I agree with the PAT bus sentiment but doubt they will be made to pay. Probably the schedule is more important than not pushing the lights.

Old 09-12-2012, 07:01 PM

480 posts, read 611,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott2187 View Post
Hopefully they'll also nab the PAT buses that constantly feel they are entitled to go through redlights.
Have you ever seen a PAT bus pulled over for any of the hundreds of infractions they they commit? I haven't. I turn them in on their webpage.

Old 09-12-2012, 07:08 PM

875 posts, read 1,489,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pghuser View Post
Have you ever seen a PAT bus pulled over for any of the hundreds of infractions they they commit? I haven't. I turn them in on their webpage.
I can vouch for this, as a regular Pittsburgh cyclist the one type of vehicle I feel most unsafe encroaching upon me from behind is a PAT BUS. I am truly amazed at the reckless abandon some of their drivers handle those things. Much like with cyclists, they're not all bad/unsafe/careless, I've been happy to know some really good, polite, and safe drivers personally, but it's the rotten eggs that "set the table of thought" regarding their buses as a whole. And really that's just the sad state of things...

Old 09-13-2012, 09:30 AM

270 posts, read 340,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeamish View Post
If and when red light cameras are installed, if the light turns yellow as you approach, be sure to slam on your brakes so you stop prior to entering the intersection. You may get rear-ended, but at least you won't get the ticket from the camera.

It's all about the municipality making money. Red light cameras are known to increase accidents. Council Bluffs, IA reduced their yellow cycle when they installed red light cameras, so they could generate more revenue. I doubt they want you to know how much their accident rate went up on that street...
Bingo. It's not about safety or decreasing accidents. It's about revenue. Think about it- no actual cop to pay, impossible to fight in court, more tickets per day- its a cash-strapped city's dream. I wish this was illegal on a federal level- it's pure extorion. Hopefully someday someone will produce some evidence that the devices are miscalibrated, people are wrongfully being issued tickets automatically, etc. but I doubt it.

Old 09-13-2012, 09:33 AM

29,744 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneW View Post
I would think that the number of rear ending incidents would go down once people got it through their heads that the car in front of them was likely to stop at the red light.
It doesn't say much for people's driving skills when a driver wouldn't assume that a car is going to stop at a stop light.

Old 09-13-2012, 12:47 PM

106 posts, read 212,026 times
The cameras you see attached to signal poles around Pittsburgh are typically just video detection for the signal. Here is an explanation

Old 09-13-2012, 12:48 PM

1,445 posts, read 1,972,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
It doesn't say much for people's driving skills when a driver wouldn't assume that a car is going to stop at a stop light.
How many times have you gone through a yellow light at what you thought was the very last second, looked in your rear-view and seen one or two cars right behind you?

Old 09-17-2012, 12:41 PM

6,358 posts, read 5,053,234 times
i think people might confuse red light cameras with either security cameras (as others have stated), or emergency vehicle devices that will change a light from red to green in a transponder-equipped ambulance or fire truck needed to use the intersection.

also - this is a huge issue in a growing number of eastern cities. in pittsburgh, there WILL be notice - the news will report it (ad nauseum). there will be warning signs.

red light cameras do not 'cause' rear-end accidents - idiot drivers do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh