Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 09:55 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,138,167 times

Advertisements

For what it's worth...another ranking...Newsweek puts Pittsburgh at #11

America's 50 Best Cities - The Best Places to Live - Businessweek

They fault Pittsburgh for air quality and crime. I thought Pittsburgh was doing ok when it came to crime.

Bars: 143
Restaurants: 992
Museums: 23
Libraries: 36
Pro sports teams: 3
Park acres per 1,000 residents: 10
Colleges: 10
Percent with graduate degree: 12.7
Median household income: $51,907
Percent unemployed: 7

Park acres per 1k is a bit low. By that I mean I think Pittsburgh could do better. Not sure if library count really matters as much nowadays and they seem to count any museum and don't take into account quality. Same is true of colleges, just a count rather than weighting their quality. St Paul edges out Pittsburgh at #10 and is the only one to better Pittsburgh in the "rustbelt". Although, why not include Minneapolis which comes in at #12?

But regardless, Pittsburgh frequently hold up well in various best rankings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 10:31 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,041,015 times
I don't agree with the list, but it's all subjective, anyway. I would have personally put New York City, Philadelphia, New Orleans, San Francisco, and Chicago in the top ten. Denver, Portland, Seattle, St. Paul, and Austin are not on the same level as those cities, but that's just my opinion.

Old 09-27-2012, 10:48 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,031,857 times
The crime factor was not particularly transparent.

The Trust for Public Land collects all sorts of statistics:

Homepage - The Trust for Public Land

http://cloud.tpl.org/pubs/ccpe-city-park-facts-2011.pdf

Pittsburgh does pretty well in its designated peer group when it comes to percentage of park land and park land per resident (note this is just official park land--we have a lot more unofficial green spaces particularly on slopes), but where it really shines is playgrounds per resident, ball diamonds per resident, and swimming pools per resident.

Old 09-28-2012, 07:12 AM

2,869 posts, read 5,139,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
For what it's worth...another ranking...Newsweek puts Pittsburgh at #11

America's 50 Best Cities - The Best Places to Live - Businessweek

They fault Pittsburgh for air quality and crime. I thought Pittsburgh was doing ok when it came to crime.
Given that they split Minneapolis (#12) and St. Paul (#10), or Virginia Beach (#2) and Chesapeake (#4), this is a city ranking not a metro area ranking. Pittsburgh city proper is not looking too good when it comes to crime rates because it doesn't have large swaths of suburban subdivisions within city limits.

Old 09-28-2012, 08:49 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,900,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
I don't agree with the list, but it's all subjective, anyway. I would have personally put New York City, Philadelphia, New Orleans, San Francisco, and Chicago in the top ten. Denver, Portland, Seattle, St. Paul, and Austin are not on the same level as those cities, but that's just my opinion.
But its looking a more granular level metrics...and we you get down to it, some of the cities you listed have serious flaws as well..

NYC and SF - the COL is grossly prohibitive

Philadelphia and NOLA - have high Crime Problems, as well both cities themselves lacks jobs

Chicago - Has High Crime and one could argue Chicago is in a state of Decline both socially and economically..

Old 09-28-2012, 09:20 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,830,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
But its looking a more granular level metrics...and we you get down to it, some of the cities you listed have serious flaws as well..

NYC and SF - the COL is grossly prohibitive

Philadelphia and NOLA - have high Crime Problems, as well both cities themselves lacks jobs

Chicago - Has High Crime and one could argue Chicago is in a state of Decline both socially and economically..
no place is perfect. I guess people will always weight these categories differently depending on their preference. chicago is in decline? perhaps some areas, but downtown chicago by led the nation's cities in population growth in the last decade. maybe it's being written off too early
Metropolitan Area2010 Downtown Population2000-2010 IncreaseRate Chicago-Joliet-Naperville+36.2%
It's Official: Downtowns Are Booming - Neighborhoods - The Atlantic Cities

Old 09-28-2012, 09:22 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,556,285 times
I think having Primanti's raised our status, along with all the strip clubs n'at.

Old 09-28-2012, 11:45 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
Given that they split Minneapolis (#12) and St. Paul (#10), or Virginia Beach (#2) and Chesapeake (#4), this is a city ranking not a metro area ranking. Pittsburgh city proper is not looking too good when it comes to crime rates because it doesn't have large swaths of suburban subdivisions within city limits.
Neither do most other cities; probably none that ranked higher than Pittsburgh. Just sayin'. I tend to think most of these "lists" are crap.

Old 09-28-2012, 12:23 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,556,285 times
[quote=Katiana;26290020]Neither do most other cities; probably none that ranked higher than Pittsburgh. Just sayin'. I tend to think most of these "lists" are crap.[/quote]

Old 09-28-2012, 05:06 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,139,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Neither do most other cities; probably none that ranked higher than Pittsburgh. Just sayin'. I tend to think most of these "lists" are crap.
Sigh. We've gone through this before haven't we. I agree with your last sentence and my comment had nothing to do with the list, really. But most other cities make up a much larger part of their metro area populations than Pittsburgh does. My point is that "Pittsburgh's crime problem" only looks worse than most other US cities if you haven't taken the time to stop and think about what a city's murder rate means and how it's calculated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh