Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 07:59 AM

225 posts, read 324,324 times

Advertisements

Just for clarity... McCandless Crossings phase 4 is the lifestyle center including the new Cinemark, a hotel, many new restaurants (Bonefish Grill anyone?). There is also a plan for a mid-size grocery (maybe in the mold of Trader Joes). The Cinemark is supposed to open about a year from now.

North way Mall is being sold to LRC and will probably be raised for a new development.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2012, 12:30 PM

5,652 posts, read 7,002,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcrouzzo View Post
Its ok, I like snark.

Ive actually never lived in south hills, I've just been there visiting, and liked it a lot. I am in the process of finding a place in the heart of uptown mt leb right now. I don't know why but i just fell in love with the whole vibe and feel of the place. I realize now the problems not the north hills, its me. Its just not my type of place, except sewickley. I love that town but its just too rich for my blood.

Also, I like that statement, I just need transplanted into a different pot like you said.
Well, at least you got to the heart of the matter.

That specific area (Uptown Mt. Lebo) is unique in the South Hills. If there were a greengrocer on Washington Rd. and if the Denis would reopen (less and less likely with each passing year it seems), it would be perfect for someone who likes having everything one needs within walking distance.

Old 10-07-2012, 01:28 PM

9,391 posts, read 13,052,216 times
Do you find it the slightest bit ironic that you complain about this...
Quote:
I hate that! I can't walk in that place without getting a wedgie any more due to all the high end pretentious snobbery going on.
...and then proceed to state this?
Quote:
Oh and the newer the money the less couth they tend to possess. Besides the fact that mcknight is the epitome of urban sprawl, the whole area is a public transit void and extremely pedestrian unfriendly. What makes mcknight even worse is the fact that the heathen like residents of certain parts*** of the north side like to spread up mcknight to spend money, lovely classless people they are.
Comparing apples to apples and oranges to oranges, the people of the North Hills are no different from their Southern cousins. Peters and Pine are both sprawling, auto-centric, new money areas. Upper St. Clair and Fox Chapel/O'Hara are heavily residential, upscale, mixed old/new money, where tasteful custom construction is the rule and not the exception. Scott/Bethel Park and Ross/Shaler are post-war cookie cutter and solidly middle class. Carnegie and Millvale are post-industrial and heavily working class. Mt. Lebanon and Sewickley/surrounding are really the only two major enclaves without peer, although Thornburg and Rosslyn Farms are somewhat reminiscent of Sewickley Hills/Heights. It's also worth noting that while Sewickley is still very old-money dominated, Mt. Lebanon is not, and has had a significant (and continuously growing) Jewish population since the 1950s.

Old 10-07-2012, 03:21 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,580,383 times
Quote:
Whats the deal?

Why does it seem like the North Hills are completely dead? Very little new worthwhile development, and what is coming in is boring and stale. I currently live in Ross and can't wait to get out of here! I feel like I'm suffocating under the misery of the whole area.

In contrast; however, the south hills seems to be alive and growing. I head down south theres just a much better more active vibe. Theres a better selection, a broader more diverse and unique selection of stores. The people are friendlier, and it just feels like a happier place to be.

What gives? any opinions?

What a maroon!

Had the best weekend ever here in the Great White North. And I lived in the South Hills for 20 years. Location doesn't matter, it's people that make an area great.

Diverse?!? What, taller white guys?

My advice to you is drink heavily, then move.

Old 10-07-2012, 04:02 PM

15,642 posts, read 26,313,417 times
Well -- different ages require different things.

When we were young we decided urban was the way to go. Now -- I'd give my eye teeth to be in quiet suburbia. Right now -- the guys behind me are playing mariachi music, the guys next to me are rapping and the people across the street are having a big party.

It gets old. Heck -- I'm old....

Old 10-07-2012, 04:13 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,580,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Well -- different ages require different things.

When we were young we decided urban was the way to go. Now -- I'd give my eye teeth to be in quiet suburbia. Right now -- the guys behind me are playing mariachi music, the guys next to me are rapping and the people across the street are having a big party.

It gets old. Heck -- I'm old....

Join the club!

Old 10-07-2012, 07:13 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,205,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Right now -- the guys behind me are playing mariachi music, the guys next to me are rapping and the people across the street are having a big party.
That's when you put your speakers in the window and blast whatever floats your boat.

My son has many CDs in his car. They are segregated. Some are rap. Some are classical. Some are classic rock. etc.

He has one, just for giggles, of disco music.

When someone is blasting something nasty at an intersection, he'll switch to Abba's Dancing Queen and blast it.

It's a hoot. And, no, he's not gay. He's just confidently funny.

Old 10-07-2012, 08:44 PM

9,391 posts, read 13,052,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
When someone is blasting something nasty at an intersection, he'll switch to Abba's Dancing Queen and blast it.
Your son and I are kindred spirits in that regard, only instead of disco, I'll generally opt for Muzak. Herb Alpert's "Tijuana Taxi" is my go-to tune.

Old 10-07-2012, 10:10 PM

15,642 posts, read 26,313,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
That's when you put your speakers in the window and blast whatever floats your boat.

My son has many CDs in his car. They are segregated. Some are rap. Some are classical. Some are classic rock. etc.

He has one, just for giggles, of disco music.

It's a hoot. And, no, he's not gay. He's just confidently funny.
It's okay -- my husband is confidently funny, too. He likes Abba, and Madonna. Doesn't mind a little Katy Perry either...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh