Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 02:28 AM

1,860 posts, read 2,579,883 times

Advertisements

There's also a huge difference in what you get for that price besides location and neighbors. The Condition of the property varies tremendously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2012, 06:34 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
I realize the contrast between N. Point Breeze and Homewood is intense, but given the transition between the neighborhoods is only a railroad track, I think the differences in crime are probably mostly psychological.
Only? That manmade barrier might be psychological but it mentally and literally hinders people from crossing over.

These violent crime statistics are a decade old but the differences between the rail road tracks are huge.

Part One: Pittsburgh neighborhood crime statistics

Keep in mind that more of Homewood South borders North Point Breeze than Homewood West does.

Homewood West
Homicide 0
Rape 3
Robbery 20
Aggrevated Assult 33
Burglary 19

Homewood South
Homicide 3
Rape 1
Robbery 47
Aggrevated Assault 96
Burglary 51

Homewood North
Homicide 1
Rape 4
Robbery 39
Aggrevated Assault 82
Burglary 95

North Point Breeze
Homicide 1
Rape 0
Robbery 10
Aggrevated Assult 10
Burglary 22

South Point Breeze
Homicide 0
Rape 1
Robbery 11
Aggrevated Assault 5
Burglary 41

Old 10-09-2012, 06:58 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Quote:
North Point Breeze isn't exactly cheap. It may seem cheap compared to Squirrel Hill or Shadyside, but it's still one of the more pricey neighborhoods in the city, and I'm not sure the cost of living there is justified by the quality of life. If I were seriously to consider buying a $100k+ home in North Point Breeze, I'd move a block or two over into Homewood and get a house for $10,000, instead. I realize the contrast between N. Point Breeze and Homewood is intense, but given the transition between the neighborhoods is only a railroad track, I think the differences in crime are probably mostly psychological.
The transition is a railroad track and the East Busway. Besides that, within the residential area, only N Dallas and N Homewood actually connect to South Homewood. N Braddock and Fifth too, of course, but they are on the outskirts where few people live.

Plus, as I've said elsewhere, North Point Breeze is a great deal for parents, because it's the only part of the city where you can get reasonably cheap Victorian houses and send your kids to Squirrel Hill schools.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:08 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,532,111 times
Quote:
North Point Breeze isn't exactly cheap. It may seem cheap compared to Squirrel Hill or Shadyside, but it's still one of the more pricey neighborhoods in the city, and I'm not sure the cost of living there is justified by the quality of life. If I were seriously to consider buying a $100k+ home in North Point Breeze, I'd move a block or two over into Homewood and get a house for $10,000, instead. I realize the contrast between N. Point Breeze and Homewood is intense, but given the transition between the neighborhoods is only a railroad track, I think the differences in crime are probably mostly psychological.
I agree. I also don't think 100,000 homes are all that common in North Point Breeze.

Personally, I would rather live in Highland Park than North Point Breeze. Or I would sacrifice the size of the house to live on one of the lesser streets of South Point Breeze.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:57 AM

747 posts, read 1,232,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
I think its proximity to Wilkinsburg and East Liberty is also problematic to a lot of folks.

Ten years ago or so, a resident of Jonathan Court out there walked to an ATM on Homewood Ave., was robbed and shot to death by several youths.

It seems like a problematic kind of place for street crime that folks would have to stay more on their toes than in other nearby neighborhoods.
Who in the hell would walk to that ATM on Homewood Avenue...... If that was the last ATM on earth I would not use it.

Old 10-10-2012, 12:01 PM

747 posts, read 1,232,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeamish View Post
Homewood Avenue runs through North Point Breeze as well as Homewood and elsewhere. This incident probably happened in North Point Breeze, which would mean it is spillover crime due to proximity.

There is only one ATM on Homewood Ave. Its at the PNC bank just past Hamilton Avenue. I knew not to use that atm way back in the 1990's when I took classes at the Homewood CCAC....

Old 10-10-2012, 12:05 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
I also don't think 100,000 homes are all that common in North Point Breeze.
In which direction did you have in mind?

Point Breeze North Recently Sold Homes and Recently Sold Homes in Point Breeze North Pittsburgh - Zillow

Old 10-10-2012, 12:22 PM

4,359 posts, read 7,532,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I am saying that most of the homes are more than a 100,000. Right now 2 houses are on the MLS under a 120,000 in North Point Breeze and these aren't single families houses they are townhouses.

Old 10-10-2012, 02:02 PM

59 posts, read 113,309 times
I drive through North Point Breeze all of the time. I like its location (proximity to East Liberty and Squirrel Hill) and it always strikes me as a nice neighborhood with good housing for a deal. However, I would not consider moving my family there solely because of its proximity to Homewood. It's truly a shame.

Old 10-11-2012, 06:44 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins View Post
Who in the hell would walk to that ATM on Homewood Avenue...... If that was the last ATM on earth I would not use it.

This victim lived only a 5 minutes walk away the ATM, and it was at night so he may not have wanted to move his car to drive to shadyside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh