Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2012, 10:29 AM

1,723 posts, read 2,226,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
UPMC would not have to raise wages. They would have thousands of job applications in a few days to fill those spots. Jeffrey Romoff knows how much he can get by with paying the lowly workers to keep profits up and justify his $6M compensation. Oh, I forgot that UPMC is non-profit.
That's true...unless only one person has applied for a position, there is always someone waiting to do the job for a few pennies fewer. Don't say that too loud, though, or it will be a real race to the bottom and 1912 again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 10:46 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,679,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
Yeah, that's the key for me too. I was under the mistaken impression that their whole reason for existing was to benefit the community.
yup.

they are a nonprofit and their workers qualify for public assistance. so this entity that pays no taxes uses taxpayer money to supplement their workforce's compensation. disgusting.

Old 12-12-2012, 12:21 PM

2,109 posts, read 2,161,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
yup.

they are a nonprofit and their workers qualify for public assistance. so this entity that pays no taxes uses taxpayer money to supplement their workforce's compensation. disgusting.
To top it off, a substantial proportion of their revenue originates from taxation via Medicare and Medicaid.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:17 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,673,235 times
In addition to Romoff's compensation, it's interesting to look at what UPMC pays its other top executives. These are compensation figures reported to the IRS for calendar year 2010:

• Charles E. Bogosta, UPMC executive vice president and president, International and Commercial Services Division — $1,310,776.
• Robert J. Cindrich, UPMC senior vice president and chief legal officer — $1,696,725.
• Elizabeth B. Concordia, UPMC executive vice president — $2,338,077.
• Sandra N. Danoff, UPMC senior vice president and chief communications officer — $1,031,437.
• Daniel Drawbaugh, UPMC senior vice president and chief information officer — $1,342,045.
• David M. Farner, UPMC senior vice president and chief of staff — $1,382,287.
• C. Talbot Heppenstall Jr., UPMC senior vice president and treasurer — $1,106,219.
• Diane P. Holder, UPMC executive vice president — $1,684,777 (all from related organizations).
• Gregory K. Peaslee, UPMC senior vice president and chief human resources and administrative services officer — $1,364,170.
• Steven D. Shapiro, chief medical and science officer — $564,638 plus $234,932 from related organizations.
• Marshall W. Webster, UPMC executive vice president — $1,149,242 plus $129,519 from related organizations.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:20 PM

1,723 posts, read 2,226,975 times
Quote:
In addition to Romoff's compensation, it's interesting to look at what UPMC pays its other top executives. These are compensation figures reported to the IRS for calendar year 2010:

• Charles E. Bogosta, UPMC executive vice president and president, International and Commercial Services Division — $1,310,776.
• Robert J. Cindrich, UPMC senior vice president and chief legal officer — $1,696,725.
• Sandra N. Danoff, UPMC senior vice president and chief communications officer — $1,031,437.
• Daniel Drawbaugh, UPMC senior vice president and chief information officer — $1,342,045.
• C. Talbot Heppenstall Jr., UPMC senior vice president and treasurer — $1,106,219.
• Diane P. Holder, UPMC executive vice president — $1,684,777 (all from related organizations).
• Gregory K. Peaslee, UPMC senior vice president and chief human resources and administrative services officer — $1,364,170.
• Steven D. Shapiro, chief medical and science officer — $564,638 plus $234,932 from related organizations.
• Marshall W. Webster, UPMC executive vice president — $1,149,242 plus $129,519 from related organizations.
Pretty funny how the science and medicine guy is the lowest paid one on the list.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:23 PM

2,109 posts, read 2,161,058 times
Quote:

While compensation practices may be an indication of a company acting as if it were a for-profit organization, this doesn't really say much. None of those numbers jump off the page at me as being egregious relative to what else those people could be doing. A non-profit hospital system, for example, needs to compensate at least within the ballpark of for-profit systems.

I've worked at a company in the past that paid it's CEO approximately $75 million in cash and stock in 2007. Now that's pretty ridiculous.

Of all of the things we can fault UPMC for, I have a hard time thinking the executive compensation is one of them. I should probably walk away from this post with my flame suit on, because I know I'm going to get hammered on this one.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:26 PM

1,714 posts, read 2,360,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post
While compensation practices may be an indication of a company acting as if it were a for-profit organization, this doesn't really say much. None of those numbers jump off the page at me as being egregious relative to what else those people could be doing. A non-profit hospital system, for example, needs to compensate at least within the ballpark of for-profit systems.

I've worked at a company in the past that paid it's CEO approximately $75 million in cash and stock in 2007. Now that's pretty ridiculous.

Of all of the things we can fault UPMC for, I have a hard time thinking the executive compensation is one of them. I should probably walk away from this post with my flame suit on, because I know I'm going to get hammered on this one.

Well, if they want to keep good people they need to pay them.

Old 12-12-2012, 02:36 PM

1,125 posts, read 2,349,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post

I have to agree with you on the fact that this is not a UPMC specific problem, it has been trending this way since "Reaganomics" and globalization began in the 80's and has been trending toward ridiculous executive compensation while most workers have seen stagnant income at best (if not declining in real value.) This is something society as a whole needs to take a look at and realize what exactly is going on. I agree that what UPMC did is disgusting in my opinion, but in the macro level it is just a symptom of the national sickness 30 years in the making.

Old 12-12-2012, 03:18 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,210,139 times
Quote:
UPMC would not have to raise wages. They would have thousands of job applications in a few days to fill those spots. Jeffrey Romoff knows how much he can get by with paying the lowly workers to keep profits up and justify his $6M compensation. Oh, I forgot that UPMC is non-profit.
Not having profits as a company is completely different from individual people not making a reasonable wage for the job they do. $6m really isn't that high for running a company of that size.

Non-profit companies need to fill a religious, charitable, scientific, literary, educational, public safety, amateur sports or cruelty prevention purpose. The amount of money the CEO makes is immaterial as long as they fulfill one of those purposes.

Old 12-12-2012, 04:29 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times
I know someone who holds a very high position at UPMC. Guess what's funny about one of the upper level's fringe benefits? They get free internet for their homes! The lowest paid workers can't buy food. The highest paid employees, the ones who can certainly afford to pay for internet, get internet for free! I always thought that was strange. This thread has inspired me to call him tomorrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh