Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 09:50 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,648,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealie View Post
Some of us folks are college-degreed professionals and have been around the block a few times. Including a bad economy. Living on the left coast in IT work when the bottom fell out of the dotcoms was not my idea of a good time. I saw many, many people refuse to leave a company due to "loyalty" who got downsized without so much as a thank-you. I saw people -many - at the "right" company in the wrong position, waiting on someone to notice their hard work and put them where they belonged. Didn't happen. I'm not whistling in the dark here, I know what I'm talking about. If for every 10 people on the front line, 1 person gets promoted to team lead and for every 10 leads one gets promoted to department manager, you've got 99 losers for every winner, and probably half of them thought they were going to be the one. Every year you go down this road it is going to get harder to redirect your career to where you want it to be. That is a fact.
Happens all the time. I went through many mergers and acquisitions when I was in banking. Our bank was the one doing the acquiring. Do you think all those "redundant" employees had an easy time keeping their careers on track during a period of recession and massive layoffs?

I have a friend who was one of a very few women in senior management in a major high tech company in Silicon Valley. She had been there for about 15 years working her way up. Management changed. the new guys actually told her they thought women should stay home. this was about two years ago. yes, people still think like that. All of sudden she stopped getting invited to meetings, her responsibilities were cut. She got a lawyer. She got them to settle for not as much as she had hoped. They admitted no wrongdoing. She quit and now works for her husband's small business. The whole experience was devastating. Even if you have some means and are very savvy as she was, the companies have more lawyers and deeper pockets than you do.

I was stuck in a job I hated during the recession in the early 90s. I sent out resumes every day and went on interviews for almost two years before I found a much better job.

I was unemployed and over 50 when the market crashed in 2008. The only work I could find paid little more than minimum wage and offered no benefits whatsoever. No paid time off, no vacation or sick days, no health insurance. I have a strong resume and a college degree. I just happened to need a job when the economy melted down. I took the jobs. I know there are people who complain about their jobs and do nothing to improve their situation. But, what many of us are trying to say is that you can put in tremendous effort to change things and still not get what you want. I believe that only the very young and the very lucky think otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 10:35 AM

6 posts, read 5,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealie View Post
Some of us folks are college-degreed professionals and have been around the block a few times. Including a bad economy. Living on the left coast in IT work when the bottom fell out of the dotcoms was not my idea of a good time. I saw many, many people refuse to leave a company due to "loyalty" who got downsized without so much as a thank-you. I saw people -many - at the "right" company in the wrong position, waiting on someone to notice their hard work and put them where they belonged. Didn't happen. I'm not whistling in the dark here, I know what I'm talking about. If for every 10 people on the front line, 1 person gets promoted to team lead and for every 10 leads one gets promoted to department manager, you've got 99 losers for every winner, and probably half of them thought they were going to be the one. Every year you go down this road it is going to get harder to redirect your career to where you want it to be. That is a fact.
Exactly. The "American Dream" is more of an "American Lottery". Not everyone can be mid level management let alone an executive. Most people will remain stagnant in their job/career/employment and be displeased. In that case, why not agitate for better pay? Especially if the organization is doing so well.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:48 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,679,606 times
No Help Wanted: In filing to labor board, UPMC claims it has no employees | News | Pittsburgh City Paper

now upmc is saying they have no employees, therefore the nlrb can't file a complaint against them.

motion denied, by the way.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:33 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,899,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
No Help Wanted: In filing to labor board, UPMC claims it has no employees | News | Pittsburgh City Paper

now upmc is saying they have no employees, therefore the nlrb can't file a complaint against them.

motion denied, by the way.
I feel like canceling my appointment there tomorrow. What as*holes.

Old 01-30-2013, 03:54 PM

1,723 posts, read 2,226,975 times
Management at UPMC can kiss their own asses; if their spines to need to break for them to do it, then even better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh