Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 02:44 PM

34 posts, read 49,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I also don't understand why someone who already makes more than I do for doing work that is no more skilled than I do should be garnering such widespread support for complaining about their pay while I garner malaise.

If we're going to force UPMC to pay higher wages to its front-lime employees then why not do the same for Wal-Mart, PNC, the University of Pittsburgh, and other large employers with a large local presence who are notorious for low hourly wages for relatively unskilled employees? It still doesn't make sense to me why such a witch hunt against UPMC exists.
My friend, I am 100% honestly in favor of you and everyone else at PNC getting paid a better wage for the work that you do, believe me! I know how hard and universally underappreciated customer service-type work is. The same goes for Wal-Mart AND UPMC.

*Edit - I think you're taking the wrong attitude in the first paragraph and the right attitude in the second paragraph of what I quoted above. Denigrating people who don't stretch their salaries as far as you do is not a way forward, it's sour grapes. I understand why you don't like being yelled at about overdraft fees, but you and UPMC employees deserve to live comfortably, so why not take that view?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 02:50 PM

2,290 posts, read 3,828,961 times
Quote:
Very astute of you.
PNC is paying you what the market dictates. Every major bank experiences significant turnover amongst sales staff. Wells Fargo, Bank of America, etc. have much more turnover.

Old 01-07-2013, 02:52 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,640,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangmang View Post
My friend, I am 100% honestly in favor of you and everyone else at PNC getting paid a better wage for the work that you do, believe me! I know how hard and universally underappreciated customer service-type work is. The same goes for Wal-Mart AND UPMC.
I'm not "anti-UPMC employees". I'm just more than a bit skeptical as to why they've worked at UPMC for so many years supposedly unhappily and then conveniently waited until now that their employer is vilified in the media and public for its tax-exempt status to speak up and say "we want more money!" It just seems very conveniently timed.

You're not supposed to stay in low-paying positions like the ones the individuals in question possess for a career. They're meant to be entry-level stepping stones to bigger and better things in the future. Right now my salary at PNC is abysmal; however, I'm confident that I'll rise to my desired $40,000 salary range within a few years. I've already gained one promotion to earn $25,000 vs. $20,000. If you're earning a $25,000 salary long-term then why have you never tried to apply elsewhere within the organization to better yourself?

Old 01-07-2013, 02:54 PM

34 posts, read 49,287 times
Quote:
I'm not "anti-UPMC employees". I'm just more than a bit skeptical as to why they've worked at UPMC for so many years supposedly unhappily and then conveniently waited until now that their employer is vilified in the media and public for its tax-exempt status to speak up and say "we want more money!" It just seems very conveniently timed.

You're not supposed to stay in low-paying positions like the ones the individuals in question possess for a career. They're meant to be entry-level stepping stones to bigger and better things in the future. Right now my salary at PNC is abysmal; however, I'm confident that I'll rise to my desired $40,000 salary range within a few years. I've already gained one promotion to earn $25,000 vs. $20,000. If you're earning a $25,000 salary long-term then why have you never tried to apply elsewhere within the organization to better yourself?
I get your plans and career expectations for yourself, but I don't get why you might project any of that onto strangers whose lives you don't know beyond their recurring charges, paychecks and bills.

Old 01-07-2013, 02:59 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,640,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
PNC is paying you what the market dictates. Every major bank experiences significant turnover amongst sales staff. Wells Fargo, Bank of America, etc. have much more turnover.
I'm aware of this. I'm also saying that promoting frequent front-line turnover alienates long-term clients, many of whom formed relationships with my predecessors, were saddened by their departures, and have become skeptical of growing close again---potentially costing the organization business in the long-term. Most in my Generation Y couldn't care less who took their deposits or completed their loan application, but most in my generation are also broke. More mature clients tend to be the ones who place emphasis upon "relationships" with their bankers, for better or for worse, and are also the ones who tend to have the greatest assets. I see this daily, and I'm just saying that the big banks not caring about front-line employee turnover is hurting them more than they think.

There's just no loyalty anymore on the part of employers or employees, and I just feel that's a shame.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:01 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,586,838 times
If you took an entry level position that required the accounting degree, you'd get there faster. They do exist, I have seen them. I get that you respect pnc and they promise great things, but many many people in their late twenties and early thirties fall into that trap. Jumping from csr work to middle management at PNC is hard bordering on impossible, it's not like a Horatio Alger novel.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:49 PM

1,723 posts, read 2,226,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealie View Post
If you took an entry level position that required the accounting degree, you'd get there faster. They do exist, I have seen them. I get that you respect pnc and they promise great things, but many many people in their late twenties and early thirties fall into that trap. Jumping from csr work to middle management at PNC is hard bordering on impossible, it's not like a Horatio Alger novel.
Don't you see - it's all Horatio Alger...the sky is the limit and if you are a hard worker, find the right opportunities, and apply yourself your dreams will come true and you will go far. It's a proven fact - just listen to what people who have done it have to say.

Old 01-07-2013, 05:27 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,987,568 times
Quote:
I can't believe you don't see the irony in this. Many people might say to you "You're not supposed to work at $20 or $25K a year jobs several years after graduation." I'm sure you'd turn around and say that you're happy with your life and work a 2nd job and make sacrifices where necessary; which is fine. But how can you chastise these UPMC employees making just a tad more than you for wanting higher wages while you sit here on a regular basis complaining about how you can't afford a house in the east end? Sheesh, it's like the field slaves getting mad at the house slaves instead of the plantation owner and government.

You're correct that people shouldn't look at low-paying positions as careers, but sometimes life happens and that is what they're stuck with.

Old 01-07-2013, 05:42 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,009,204 times
Not everyone can have a "career" anyway. That's not the economy we have. There's no reason why a unit secretary, which isn't a job just anyone off the street can do well, can't make a reasonably comfortable life for herself (or himself) out of it, if they stay with the same company for many, many years. It'll never be a strong, upper middle class lifestyle, but can UPMC afford more than $13 an hour when there are front line retail workers out there who are paid more after that many years? Yeah. The whole "these things aren't supposed to be careers" argument is just a poor one. There isn't an upper trajectory for all job paths, and not everyone can rise up to be a high level executives. Someone has to fill these roles with some measure of stability.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:06 PM

377 posts, read 652,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealie View Post

They do exist. I have quite a few friends in Pittsburgh with degrees in accounting. They are all my age between 26-28 years old. They all got entry level positions in their field. Most make above 35k a year. Some of them have gone on to further their degrees and are working on their CPA exam. I do know they have had trouble moving up. My best friend has gone on so many interviews trying to advance but she is at least in a position that requires her degree. But there are for sure much better paying jobs out there than 25k for people with accounting degrees. I don't know what SCR's goal is for his career so I won't make suggestions but I do know a few companies where my friends have been able to get in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh