Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2013, 07:36 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,648,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideblinded View Post
Watch the History Channel's mini- series/documentary "The Men who Built America". Carnegie, Pittsburgh and the steel industry along with Morgan & Rockefeller had a scary amount if power & influence in the US. It is eerily similar to today's work issues, politics and
Corruption. Difference is employees finally had enough.

Now we just fight with eachother and get ticked off if god forbid a profession or company/union has decent retirement or pension benefits instead of asking why being compensated fairly is a luxury only deserved for the top 10%? Why not us? Corporations have won. They have succesfully pitted the (dwindling) middle class against eachother, immigrants and poor so we forget that record profits are being made, salaries are declining and the wealthy are raking it in. We even dare to ask for fancy perks like health care! If I hear "At least you have a job" one more time I will have to run into the nearest yoga studio to chill out.

I choose not to shop at Wal-Mart or Sam's, I do shop at Costco and support as many locally owned small companies as possible. I love Littles Shoes on Forbes vs. Zappos.

UPMC is the largest fake non-profit ever with the added bonus of being close to a political monopoly.
Well said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 11:30 AM

2,420 posts, read 4,714,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Certainly a lot of assumptions going on here. Never once did I say I just randomly look up people's accounts without having a legitimate business reason to do so. Throughout the course of each day I have people at their wit's end who are already flat broke the Monday subsequent to their paydays and come to me to complain about overdraft fees. I already know I will be facing a workday replete with this nonsense tomorrow. My sympathy is minimal for those who sit in front of me reeking of cigarette smoke and who incurred such negative financial circumstances through living beyond their means. What business do you have eating at Cheesecake Factory or having a high Comcast bill and then screaming "it's not fair" when you receive a fee for going negative with your account? Unlike a lot of UPMC employees I am fully capable of looking in the mirror when I overspend and assign blame squarely where it belongs---not displacing my anger and frustrations onto others. When I see that these people receive a net pay higher than my own via direct deposit why SHOULD I have any sympathy when I'm capable of living resourcefully on a more meager salary? You just have to love how people assume you make so much more money than they do just because you wear a suit.

Call me whatever names you'd like, jay5835. I'm standing my ground that I'm not paid nearly enough to endure the sob stories of people who earn more than I do and still can't break even financially due to a lack of discipline. Let UPMC employees pick up second jobs like many of my colleagues do. Otherwise their employer is NOT unique in undercompensating their employees.
so you (obviously) work for PNC and spend some of your time there peeping at people's spending habits and passing judgment on them*? looking forward to all the "bootstraps" advice people give you when you're on here soon whining about being unemployed.

edit- *in a public forum on the internet

Old 01-07-2013, 11:56 AM

99 posts, read 147,147 times
Don't bank guys get paid commission? If you are underpaid it is your fault. I have been in this city for a very short while and have already climbed to an assistant manager position at a very well known electronic store. Start working as hard as us southerners do and maybe you'll achieve enough that you don't have to whine on the internet about it, jerk.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:14 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,554,414 times
I always felt if I wasn't making the money I thought I was worth, the problem must be me. Quit complaining and work harder, or get more education, or whatever, life ain't fair, as Mr. Cope used to say n'at.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:44 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,648,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neckbeard89 View Post
Don't bank guys get paid commission?
By and large, no they don't. I worked in banking for 16 years. When I worked in Merchant Services we had a sales team that sold credit card authorization systems to retail stores. They were paid base salary + commission. There were some other sales areas that were paid this way, but the vast majority of bank employees are paid either hourly wages (non-exempt) or salary (exempt).

Old 01-07-2013, 12:47 PM

6 posts, read 5,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideblinded View Post

Now we just fight with eachother and get ticked off if god forbid a profession or company/union has decent retirement or pension benefits instead of asking why being compensated fairly is a luxury only deserved for the top 10%? Why not us? Corporations have won. They have succesfully pitted the (dwindling) middle class against eachother, immigrants and poor so we forget that record profits are being made, salaries are declining and the wealthy are raking it in. We even dare to ask for fancy perks like health care! If I hear "At least you have a job" one more time I will have to run into the nearest yoga studio to chill out.
lol @ the hoi polloi

Old 01-07-2013, 12:47 PM

34 posts, read 49,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
I always felt if I wasn't making the money I thought I was worth, the problem must be me. Quit complaining and work harder, or get more education, or whatever, life ain't fair, as Mr. Cope used to say n'at.
For me the problem isn't necessarily that S.C.R. is complaining about his salary (I mean, I do the same thing). He's isn't complaining about his paycheck directly. Instead he's making CHARACTER JUDGEMENTS about people who make more than him. ._.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:53 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,554,414 times
Agreed

Old 01-07-2013, 12:54 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,009,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Well, aside from there being long term trends towards falling wages in America, that being a national trend, not individual failings. Everyone is replaceable and job security, let alone any kind of loyalty towards hard workers, doesn't exist. The cliches of the past should stay in the past. The just world fallacy is exactly what it says it is.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:55 PM

1,469 posts, read 1,802,305 times
Default Dang

That is a slap in the face. I'm wanting a raise and you're starting a food pantry? And you're asking the employees to contribute to it no less! Why can you not just give me a .50 or $1 raise?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh