Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2012, 08:25 AM

64 posts, read 91,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I know someone who holds a very high position at UPMC. Guess what's funny about one of the upper level's fringe benefits? They get free internet for their homes! The lowest paid workers can't buy food. The highest paid employees, the ones who can certainly afford to pay for internet, get internet for free! I always thought that was strange. This thread has inspired me to call him tomorrow.
Is there a reason for this person getting their home internet coverage reimbursed? Such as, they are expected to be able to work remotely at any time? I honestly have never heard of this type of benefit at UPMC and I'm quite familiar with their benefits for senior management. However, I do know of people who either work remotely part or all of the time who do get all or some of their home internet reimbursed by the company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 03:43 AM

60 posts, read 68,609 times
I wonder why these people who consider the employees of a particular business to be underpaid don't just go in there and dole out some cash to them.

Old 01-06-2013, 07:17 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,640,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_jones View Post
I wonder why these people who consider the employees of a particular business to be underpaid don't just go in there and dole out some cash to them.
It's all about trade-offs. For professional positions UPMC tends to pay better than counterparts at the University of Pittsburgh. With that being said employees of the University of Pittsburgh just enjoyed the entire holiday season off as built-in paid vacation in addition to another few weeks of vacation time they can accrue and take annually. I've also heard that the University of Pittsburgh offers many other perks that UPMC employees don't receive. I work for a major financial institution in the city and wish they both would stop whining about how much their jobs suck because in addition to our low salaries we get 10 vacation days annually, which are hard to receive approval to take and just get taken away if unused, no sick time, poor health benefits, and have a lot of stress piled upon us by management. We're college-educated professionals. Those at UPMC whining about their low wages aren't, yet in some cases they still make more than I do. For as bad as UPMC employees think they have it they still have it much better than employees of some other major employers in the city. I can tell you from personal experience that I KNOW many of these UPMC employees who proclaim to be starving to death are still squandering money away on "extras" like cigarettes, gambling, high-speed Internet & premium cable, vehicles outside their realistic budget, etc.

Old 01-06-2013, 09:18 AM

377 posts, read 652,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
It's all about trade-offs. For professional positions UPMC tends to pay better than counterparts at the University of Pittsburgh. With that being said employees of the University of Pittsburgh just enjoyed the entire holiday season off as built-in paid vacation in addition to another few weeks of vacation time they can accrue and take annually. I've also heard that the University of Pittsburgh offers many other perks that UPMC employees don't receive. I work for a major financial institution in the city and wish they both would stop whining about how much their jobs suck because in addition to our low salaries we get 10 vacation days annually, which are hard to receive approval to take and just get taken away if unused, no sick time, poor health benefits, and have a lot of stress piled upon us by management. We're college-educated professionals. Those at UPMC whining about their low wages aren't, yet in some cases they still make more than I do. For as bad as UPMC employees think they have it they still have it much better than employees of some other major employers in the city. I can tell you from personal experience that I KNOW many of these UPMC employees who proclaim to be starving to death are still squandering money away on "extras" like cigarettes, gambling, high-speed Internet & premium cable, vehicles outside their realistic budget, etc.
You "KNOW" from personal experience that the people complaining are squandering their money away? I would love to know how you know this. Do you personally know the woman mentioned in the article? Doubt it. Assuming is not knowing.

Old 01-06-2013, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartchya View Post
You "KNOW" from personal experience that the people complaining are squandering their money away? I would love to know how you know this. Do you personally know the woman mentioned in the article? Doubt it. Assuming is not knowing.
Without revealing too much I do have access to the account history and spending habits of many at UPMC who proclaim they aren't paid enough and are "struggling", and I almost always see excesses that can be trimmed from their own budgets. I'd also like to understand why it's permissible for so many of these downtrodden UPMC employees to be forming a cohesive smoking barrier around every entry/exit to their hospitals when a "pack a smokes" is exorbitantly expensive right now?

Old 01-06-2013, 11:37 AM

377 posts, read 652,364 times
Quote:
Without revealing too much I do have access to the account history and spending habits of many at UPMC who proclaim they aren't paid enough and are "struggling", and I almost always see excesses that can be trimmed from their own budgets. I'd also like to understand why it's permissible for so many of these downtrodden UPMC employees to be forming a cohesive smoking barrier around every entry/exit to their hospitals when a "pack a smokes" is exorbitantly expensive right now?
Ha. Well I certainly hope you have a business reason to be looking in these people's personal accounts. I used to work at PNC and while I had access to pull up accounts you most certainly were not allowed to unless there was a business reason.

You seem to think that just because your employer doesn't pay you well and you have crap benefits that that makes it okay that UPMC employees are underpaid as well.

There are plenty of employers who do treat their employees well. I work for one. I have been at my new job since last March. My PTO just started over I am given 21 vacation days up front and 5 sick days. I haven't even been there a year. I have BCBS for insurance with a reasonable deductible ($350) and it only cost $60 a pay for myself and my daughter. I am paid in the mid 30s and I do not have (gasp!) a bachelor's degree. While 35k is not some grand amount--I feel lucky to be making it. I started working in my early twenties at PNC and then Highmark. I am 28 now.

My frustration with UPMC and some of the other larger corporations is that they most certainly can do better by their employees. I know I am extremely grateful for my job and my company which makes me a happier, harder working employee for them.

Old 01-06-2013, 11:54 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,009,204 times
Quote:
Without revealing too much..
I would probably be careful what you admit to on a public forum. Just a piece of friendly advice.

Last edited by sparrowmint; 01-06-2013 at 12:08 PM..

Old 01-06-2013, 11:57 AM

19 posts, read 22,621 times
this thread is very interesting

any1 work at upmc health plan? do we see similar things there?

Old 01-06-2013, 12:02 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,899,818 times
Quote:
Without revealing too much I do have access to the account history and spending habits of many at UPMC
You're notorious enough here that someone who doesn't like you could call up PNC or UPMC, point them this way, and say "Look at this clown who works for you..." and you'd be out of a job like that, just because you don't know when to shut your big yap.

Just when I think you can't be any more of a blabosaurus...

Old 01-06-2013, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartchya View Post
Ha. Well I certainly hope you have a business reason to be looking in these people's personal accounts. I used to work at PNC and while I had access to pull up accounts you most certainly were not allowed to unless there was a business reason.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
You're notorious enough here that someone who doesn't like you could call up PNC or UPMC, point them this way, and say "Look at this clown who works for you..." and you'd be out of a job like that, just because you don't know when to shut your big yap.

Just when I think you can't be any more of a blabosaurus...
Certainly a lot of assumptions going on here. Never once did I say I just randomly look up people's accounts without having a legitimate business reason to do so. Throughout the course of each day I have people at their wit's end who are already flat broke the Monday subsequent to their paydays and come to me to complain about overdraft fees. I already know I will be facing a workday replete with this nonsense tomorrow. My sympathy is minimal for those who sit in front of me reeking of cigarette smoke and who incurred such negative financial circumstances through living beyond their means. What business do you have eating at Cheesecake Factory or having a high Comcast bill and then screaming "it's not fair" when you receive a fee for going negative with your account? Unlike a lot of UPMC employees I am fully capable of looking in the mirror when I overspend and assign blame squarely where it belongs---not displacing my anger and frustrations onto others. When I see that these people receive a net pay higher than my own via direct deposit why SHOULD I have any sympathy when I'm capable of living resourcefully on a more meager salary? You just have to love how people assume you make so much more money than they do just because you wear a suit.

Call me whatever names you'd like, jay5835. I'm standing my ground that I'm not paid nearly enough to endure the sob stories of people who earn more than I do and still can't break even financially due to a lack of discipline. Let UPMC employees pick up second jobs like many of my colleagues do. Otherwise their employer is NOT unique in undercompensating their employees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh