Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 08:51 AM

1,146 posts, read 1,418,835 times

Advertisements

Hopefully in 2013, Pennsylvania's transportation budget underfunding will be addressed and fixed and important infrastructure projects will happen.

Two things need to happen around here:

- Fix our existing infrastructure. Tons of roads around here are in terrible shape. In a perfect world, the Parkway and East can be transformed into a similar setup as the Parkway North, but that would never happen in a million years.
- Fund public transit. Get the Port Authority ship righted i.e restore/grow service, financial stability, get the ConnectCard project finished and have it make it a big impact, etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 09:49 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,102,205 times
I agree with the sentiments above about 22/99 being a very different case because it is the most direct route to not just Central PA but also everything from NYC to NEPA to New England and so forth.

Last edited by BrianTH; 12-19-2012 at 11:10 AM..

Old 12-19-2012, 10:05 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,971,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmantz65 View Post
Hopefully in 2013, Pennsylvania's transportation budget underfunding will be addressed and fixed and important infrastructure projects will happen.

Two things need to happen around here:

- Fix our existing infrastructure. Tons of roads around here are in terrible shape. In a perfect world, the Parkway and East can be transformed into a similar setup as the Parkway North, but that would never happen in a million years.
- Fund public transit. Get the Port Authority ship righted i.e restore/grow service, financial stability, get the ConnectCard project finished and have it make it a big impact, etc
Amen. PA needs to put a full stop on ANY new road construction and focus on the maintenance and improvement of current infrastructure.

As for the other mentioned projects:

From an economic development standpoint, it does make sense to tie Uniontown to Morgantown. But what a waste of money to build a limited access highway that bypasses all of the towns you're trying to "save" and make a route that is redundant to I-79, especially with the Pittsburgh portion of the road.

The Route 22 improvements have been awesome.

We don't need a beltway. All that does is make suburban development in Washington County easier at
taxpayers expense.

28 around Blawnox and the Fox Chapel exit south bound doesn't make bit of sense and creates an unnecessary pinch-point.

Old 12-19-2012, 10:05 AM

7,112 posts, read 10,162,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlstreet View Post
I would have, at one point, agreed regarding 28. But I now find the new and improved 22/99 to be a fine alternative to accessing NEPA.
But that's of no value to the Allegheny Valley.

Old 12-19-2012, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
We don't need a beltway. All that does is make suburban development in Washington County easier at taxpayers expense.
But so much traffic is funneled through downtown. What fosters development doesn't bother me if that is where people want to live.

Old 12-19-2012, 10:46 AM

1,714 posts, read 2,366,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post

We don't need a beltway. All that does is make suburban development in Washington County easier at
taxpayers expense.
Maybe not a beltway, but there really could be a way for people to get from East of the city to get west of the city without driving straight through the center of downtown. Think about it--most of the people in that downtown traffic don't want to be there in the first place. They want to be somewhere else. It's as if all of the traffic within three counties all converges in a few square miles by the Golden Triangle. Get some of those people out of there, you'd alleviate Parkway East and West too (at least somewhat).

It might make it easier to develop the burbs, but it would make it easier to get downtown too.

Last edited by SammyKhalifa; 12-19-2012 at 11:00 AM..

Old 12-19-2012, 11:11 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,102,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
But that's of no value to the Allegheny Valley.
If you are interested in helping the existing communities in the Allegheny Valley, I would start with the AVRR commuter rail plan.

Old 12-19-2012, 01:22 PM

567 posts, read 1,165,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
Maybe not a beltway, but there really could be a way for people to get from East of the city to get west of the city without driving straight through the center of downtown.
People from the east go to the west? Across rivers and through tunnels?

If this is true, perhaps Pittsburgh is progressing far more quickly than we had thought

Old 12-19-2012, 01:24 PM

567 posts, read 1,165,378 times
Also, I wish we could implement some congestion charging (anywhere in the country at all)
Jonas Eliasson: How to solve traffic jams | Video on TED.com

Old 12-19-2012, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
If you are interested in helping the existing communities in the Allegheny Valley, I would start with the AVRR commuter rail plan.
I don't see any real value in commuter rail in terms of the Allegheny Valley economy. Roads can be economic engines, commuter rail isn't. Commuter rail won't even provide what a road will. I think commuter rail will be all talk, no action, and even if it does come about, it'll probably fail after a few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh