Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 12:21 PM

1,714 posts, read 2,364,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
A little fun with math:

5% of $632 million (a very low expected annual return on such an investment) would be $31.6 million.

Apparently the Turnpike expects an increase of about 3250 vehicle trips per day as a result of this project (a doubling of the current usage of the first stage of the Southern Beltway). Generously assuming that is for 365 days a year, and dividing into $31.6 million, you get about $26.64 per increased vehicle trip.

That's a pricey project.
While I agree, I also think they're right in that it'll take some of the heat off off the Parkway out by Robinson.

Is that worth it? Well . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2012, 12:31 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,081,651 times
More math:

For comparison, in 2003, it was estimated extending the East Busway to Monroeville would have non-vehicle capital costs of about $340 million, with an estimated system increase of 8400 daily passenger trips. $340 million in 2003 adjusted for inflation would be about $425 million today. Using the same methodology as in my prior post, you get about $6.93 per increased passenger trip.

Old 12-21-2012, 12:33 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,081,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
While I agree, I also think they're right in that it'll take some of the heat off off the Parkway out by Robinson.
A little maybe, but the projected usage rates really are quite low, so the diversion can't be all that large.

And as my next post suggested, there may be other, much more efficient, ways to address congested highways in this region.

Old 12-21-2012, 12:37 PM

1,714 posts, read 2,364,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
A little maybe, but the projected usage rates really are quite low, so the diversion can't be all that large.

And as my next post suggested, there may be other, much more efficient, ways to address congested highways in this region.

Oh yeah, I don't see why they couldn't have found better projects for the money.

A little selfishly, though, I remember growing up in Steubenville, OH with grandparents in Bethel Park. A road like this would've been nice.

Old 12-21-2012, 08:43 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,013,277 times
Had to go to Steubenville yesterday. Went there and back through rush hour both ways. It was a long day.

Old 12-22-2012, 10:16 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,090,614 times
Hahahaha! Gotta live the hypocrisy of Penndot and all of the fools that criticized the North Shore connector project. As useless as that project was in the grand scheme of things, this southern beltway crap is 100x more useless and practically the same price as the tunnel was. But this project will also serve to waste more resources and destroy more pristine nature than the tunnel could ever hope to.

The best part of it is we will probably see less than 5% of the criticism for this massive boondoggle. This project will hardly benefit anyone until they somehow actually manage to finish the entire project to Monroeville after many billions and a decade or so in the future, yet not a peep will be heard against it by a single politician or power player in the region. Our car-centric society disgusts me sometimes with it's massive hypocrisy.

Old 12-22-2012, 10:38 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,626,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airwave09 View Post
This project will hardly benefit anyone until they somehow actually manage to finish the entire project to Monroeville after many billions and a decade or so in the future, yet not a peep will be heard against it by a single politician or power player in the region.

The Mon-Fayette Expressway is the Danube-Black Sea Canal of Southwestern PA. It will never be finished until we find somebody as dedicated as Nicolae Ceaușescu.

Danube

Old 12-22-2012, 07:24 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,864,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airwave09 View Post
Hahahaha! Gotta live the hypocrisy of Penndot and all of the fools that criticized the North Shore connector project. As useless as that project was in the grand scheme of things, this southern beltway crap is 100x more useless and practically the same price as the tunnel was. But this project will also serve to waste more resources and destroy more pristine nature than the tunnel could ever hope to.

The best part of it is we will probably see less than 5% of the criticism for this massive boondoggle. This project will hardly benefit anyone until they somehow actually manage to finish the entire project to Monroeville after many billions and a decade or so in the future, yet not a peep will be heard against it by a single politician or power player in the region. Our car-centric society disgusts me sometimes with it's massive hypocrisy.
Well said

Old 12-22-2012, 09:58 PM

14,196 posts, read 22,822,410 times
Except the Southern Beltway is not the domain of PennDOT, so it's ignorant to criticize them for it.

Old 12-23-2012, 07:25 AM

32,625 posts, read 77,775,775 times
Turnpike to build $632 million Southern Beltway extension | TribLIVE

This article makes me sick. The article is written as if providing development access to pristine land to encourage more urban sprawl is a "good" thing for the region. We really need to take a page out of the book of Oregon and start enacting urban growth boundaries to redirect new development into EXISTING brownfield areas while greenfield areas should be preserved for future generations.

Also, isn't Rich Fitzgerald the ALLEGHENY COUNTY executive? From the proposed route it looks as if Cecil Township in WASHINGTON COUNTY would be poised to sustain the most growth. Why would he be cheering like this to encourage new greenfield development just over the county line, where any new commercial or residential growth would likely be siphoned from his own county?

Finally, correct me if I'm mistaken, but the rendering I see for the proposed route would have the new connector linking with I-79 right atop an existing rest stop just before the Washington County line. Where are they going to have enough room to replace that?

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 12-23-2012 at 07:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh