Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2021, 09:26 PM

4,581 posts, read 3,406,102 times

Advertisements

I seem to recall that Buffalo launched a too good to be true urban homesteading program aimed at telecommuters in NYC and it had been a smash success.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2021, 09:39 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
I wonder if that fellow from Weirton who claimed it's so much better off than Allegheny County still checks here.

Hancock County, West Virginia

Population Data
Total population (2020): 29,095
Total population (2010): 30,676
Numeric change (2010–2020): -1,581
Percent change (2010–2020): -5.2
I do not rejoice in those numbers, and I do hope that Weirton can turn the corner eventually, but those numbers are definitely ironic, given the proclamations made by the resident Weirtonian on this forum.

Old 08-12-2021, 09:48 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,149,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
I do not rejoice in those numbers, and I do hope that Weirton can turn the corner eventually, but those numbers are definitely ironic, given the proclamations made by the resident Weirtonian on this forum.
I don't either and likewise hope in the next 10 to 20 years things can stabilize in those areas. I am absolutely reveling though at how well Allegheny County did given given the tired nonsense a few pushed regularly that drove away several regulars including myself. There has definitely been a complete silence from a few who love to trash the area in other threads on here.

Last edited by bradjl2009; 08-12-2021 at 10:09 PM..

Old 08-12-2021, 09:54 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
I don't either and likewise hope in the next 10 to 20 years things can stabilize in those areas. I am absolutely reveling though at how well Allegheny County did given given the tired nonsense a few pushed regularly that drove away several regulars including myself.
And when you consider that Pittsburgh is the only major MSA with a natural decrease (more deaths than births), the migration numbers have to be much better than expected.

Old 08-12-2021, 10:07 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,149,700 times
Quote:
And when you consider that Pittsburgh is the only major MSA with a natural decrease (more deaths than births), the migration numbers have to be much better than expected.
They have to be. I think the feds keep track of where immigrants move to when they move to the US, so I don't think that grew enough to cause this because the estimates would have been higher. I have a feeling we won't be the only major metro in the coming years to have natural decrease though.

I also think Millennial and Gen Z born locals are sticking around a lot more than their Gen X predecessors, and kids who moved here for college are more open to staying after graduation.

Old 08-13-2021, 04:13 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,586,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armourereric View Post
I seem to recall that Buffalo launched a too good to be true urban homesteading program aimed at telecommuters in NYC and it had been a smash success.
We spent a long weekend in Buffalo a few years ago. It was fantastic. We stayed Downtown, and we explored the nearby neighborhoods of Allentown and Elmwood Village on foot. Elmwood Village reminded me a lot of Squirrel Hill. Allentown was sort of a mix between Shadyside and Lawrenceville. Downtown was weak compared to Pittsburgh, but the architecture was intriguing. Then there was Canalside. People up there talk about it like it's some sort of awesome attraction, but we walked around for 15 minutes and just sort of shrugged. We didn't understand it.

Old 08-13-2021, 04:17 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,586,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking83 View Post
The flats were the biggest gainer in 2010 as well.
I would expect the Strip District to be the top gainer from 2020-2030. It will probably have 3,000+ residents by 2030.

Old 08-13-2021, 05:04 AM

3,829 posts, read 1,683,330 times
Quote:
Well it is West Virginia. Although the declines in that county have appeared to slow down as well. 5.2 percent is the lowest it’s been in 40 years. Weirton is an extension of the Pittsburgh metro too.

Westmoreland County is definitely the worst in the Pittsburgh area. The Eastern reaches of that county have significant declines.

Looking at the census tracts the only thing that kept Allegheny County from losing population is the I-79 corridor. That’s where all the growth is. Chris Briem even mentioned that. Warrendale to South Fayette kept the county from losing.

Old 08-13-2021, 05:07 AM

3,829 posts, read 1,683,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I would expect the Strip District to be the top gainer from 2020-2030. It will probably have 3,000+ residents by 2030.
The way they are building it could be. The strip is getting a lot of residential for sure. Thank the people of color (other than blacks) and mixed race or this city probably drops 15k easily this census. See if it continues. Hopefully it does. The economic front still needs a boost. If it was doing better we probably post real growth.

Old 08-13-2021, 05:13 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,915,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking83 View Post
It could. Pittsburgh’s problem since the census is the decline of those in the workforce by 10s of thousands and job numbers that are near 1991 and way below recent peaks. Did the census capture this before those losses?

My point is the census could’ve captured Pittsburgh at its high point right before the bottom fell out with covid. Since last fall the employment numbers and those in the workforce have dropped dramatically. Pittsburgh by and large had its best decade in a lifetime with the positive press and actual job growth creeping up before Covid.

I think we should just enjoy the fact this place isn’t declining like it was in the past. And for what it’s worth the region needs to diversify the economy and work to boost wages.

That is the only way it is going to pass Cleveland and Cuyahoga County. And as far as Cleveland I think it’s where Pittsburgh was with declines in 2010. This may be the bottom for them and Cuyahoga County. Recent job numbers have Pittsburgh below Cleveland when it comes to employment opportunities from June of this year. In fact, Pittsburgh’s ability to add jobs and grow the workforce will determine if growth continues in the future.

Pittsburgh will go as far as the local job growth can take it. Buffalo and Cincinnati were the two rust belt cities to finally do it this census. Pittsburgh could go either way.

When I visited Buffalo two weeks ago I thought it was further ahead of Pittsburgh with turning a corner. A lot of younger and diverse people up there. I was shocked and posted a link that GG crapped on regarding Buffalo a few days ago. I’m not shocked it’s starting to hum along. That’s where we need to be.
Just like you always say to the more positive ones on this forum.

EXCUSES EXCUSES EXCUSES.

The Pittsburgh Metropolitan Area grew 2010-2020. Accept it. It's fact now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh