Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 12:25 PM

14 posts, read 17,716 times

Advertisements

So taking the T to downtown Pitt from Mt. Lebanon and then taking bus from downtown to CMU. Sounds like a 45 minute commute. Anyhow do it? Is taking public transport from Mt. Lebanon to CMU just not worth it? Anyhow out there try it? Trying to figure out if I move to ML, if I will take public transport (which I want to) OR will I have to commute in by car and pay for parking.

The T just sounds so convenient right there but looks good only if you work right downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 12:55 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcraider View Post
So taking the T to downtown Pitt from Mt. Lebanon and then taking bus from downtown to CMU. Sounds like a 45 minute commute. Anyhow do it? Is taking public transport from Mt. Lebanon to CMU just not worth it? Anyhow out there try it? Trying to figure out if I move to ML, if I will take public transport (which I want to) OR will I have to commute in by car and pay for parking.

The T just sounds so convenient right there but looks good only if you work right downtown.
The T is not like the subway in NY, or the Metro in DC. It works like a bus, stopping at what seems like every streetcorner. I have never once taken it from Mt. Lebanon to CMU, but I'd imagine it would be a dreary experience, kind of like taking the #1 train from Christopher Street to Columbia U in NY (the localest local).

Old 01-06-2013, 01:28 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times
The transfer does add time, but on the other hand the bus service between downtown and Oakland is plentiful and frequent.

I wouldn't choose Mt Lebo if you're going to drive, although certainly plenty do make that choice. That's just me.

For a non-transfer transit commute you are limited mostly to east neighborhoods. Squirrel Hill, is that one you were looking at? That would be a good choice perhaps.

Old 01-07-2013, 01:02 PM

34 posts, read 49,273 times
Do some dry runs to get a feel for the commute length and whether you can stand it. I did the reverse of this commute for a bit a couple years ago and I found riding the T to Mt. Lebo pretty enjoyable.

Old 01-07-2013, 01:06 PM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,857,920 times
Driving makes the most sense for this commute and I used to do it for a few years. The main problem is that the T does not go North, East, West, etc. it is mainly a South Hills to downtown commuter train. CMU is far enough east that the extra time it takes to transfer can be problematic.

Old 01-07-2013, 01:20 PM

2,290 posts, read 3,827,428 times
If you're interested in a Mt. Lebanon style environment... and you work at CMU... you might as well look at Pittsburgh's East End for living options instead... notably Squirrel Hill. It will save on your commute hassels.

Old 01-07-2013, 01:23 PM

29,746 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by track2514 View Post
Driving makes the most sense for this commute and I used to do it for a few years. The main problem is that the T does not go North, East, West, etc. it is mainly a South Hills to downtown commuter train. CMU is far enough east that the extra time it takes to transfer can be problematic.
It's not usually that bad, though. When I bus it I take the T from Beechview to Steel Plaza and catch a bus from the Fifth and Ross stop. There's usually a 61 of some variety to catch to campus, and in a pinch you might have to take a 71 and walk, but it's not often. You're right in that driving from Mt. Lebo to Oakland is faster, but the parking part once you get there is always an issue.

Old 01-07-2013, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
It's not usually that bad, though. When I bus it I take the T from Beechview to Steel Plaza and catch a bus from the Fifth and Ross stop. There's usually a 61 of some variety to catch to campus, and in a pinch you might have to take a 71 and walk, but it's not often. You're right in that driving from Mt. Lebo to Oakland is faster, but the parking part once you get there is always an issue.
Yeah I can agree with you about the parking and it depends on the OP's situation. When I used to make this commute I had a monthly parking spot so that was already taken care of before I left the house.

Old 01-07-2013, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
If you're interested in a Mt. Lebanon style environment... and you work at CMU... you might as well look at Pittsburgh's East End for living options instead... notably Squirrel Hill. It will save on your commute hassels.
Good recommendation and if I currently worked near CMU this is where I would also live to cut down on commute time. It really depends on why the OP is living in Lebo because there are a few differences. The parking situation in Lebo is usually better and the availability of off street parking can sometimes be an issue in Squirrel Hill. The other main difference I would say is the overall quality of the public schools with Lebo having a little bit better schools. With that being said Allderdice is a great school and I would have no problem sending my children there.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:34 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times
If you're already in Mt. Lebo and have your home there, it isn't the worst commute to Oakland.

But if your moving in from another region and looking for a place, you'd do a lot better and a lot easier commute if you find someplace in the east.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh