Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 07:21 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times

Advertisements

Thank you so much for sharing your story with us, CortlandGirl! I've been in a vocational funk as of late wondering if I'll ever find my niche, especially now that I've relaxed myself into the comfort zone of working a low-stress job that pays decently that I'm way over-qualified for. Your successful job-hunting over the years provides hope for those of us who seem to be casualties of the recession that we, too, will eventually "get into the groove".

Also, there's no reason to look down upon a $34,000 salary in Youngstown. That probably affords you a comparable lifestyle there to someone who makes a $45,000 salary here in Pittsburgh, which is NOT bad at all for a single person. I keep my expenses down---car payment of just over $200/month, rent payment of $350/month (that I get from splitting with my roommate), student loan payment of just over $200/month, and try to curtail utility usage whenever possible (although I've had my heat cranked the past couple of days due to the poor insulation of this place), and I've been able to "make a go of it" earning less here in Pittsburgh than you earn in Youngstown. My immediate goal is to finance the purchase of an inexpensive home in the $30,000-$50,000 range that I can pay off in under 10 years. Living debt-free would be such a burden off my shoulders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 08:49 AM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,857,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Physical therapy is not a "new" profession and a doctorate is the entry into practice requirement now. There is only one MSPT program left. PTs work in hospitals, rehab centers and freestanding clinics everywhere. I don't know if there is an oversupply of PTs in Pittsburgh or anywhere else. All the PTs who graduated from PT school with my daughter who want to be employed, are, to the best of my knowledge. (She went to the U of CO.)

Physical Therapist (PT) Education Overview

Physician Assistant programs are hard to get into; I believe there are fewer slots than there are for med school. PAs go on to work with physicians in private practice. There is a need for these practitioners everywhere, especially in areas of physician shortage, e.g. rural areas and low-income areas.
The proliferation of physical therapists with "doctoral" degrees and the extensive billing of healthcare by physical therapists is new.

Here is a decent article about the physical therapy job market: Jobs outlook: heating up | PT Cover Features News

What concerns me is really simple, how many physical therapists, chiropractors, and other health professionals do we need in western PA? Similar to the situation with teachers, we are graduating a significant number of PTs, nurses, etc. every semester/year and I am wondering when the job market will eventually be saturated. The original discussion we were having was related to the proliferation of MBAs and my point is that this is cyclical and supply and demand change over time when it comes to specific college majors and career fields.

Old 01-24-2013, 08:51 AM

6,342 posts, read 11,089,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
The problem with this is that starting a business takes capital. Whether you have it on hand or you need to take out a loan, an idea will remain an idea if you do not have any money to make it happen. I personally would love to be an entrepreneur. G-d knows I've worked for enough of them who hemorrhaged money down the drain in their businesses because they ran them so badly. However, it just will not happen as long as I am living paycheck to paycheck like I currently am.

The second issue is that many new ventures fail. According to this, only 44% of business remain in existence 4 years after they were founded. Let's be generous, and say that your business has a 50/50 chance of success. At least with a college degree, your odds are more favorable in regards to whether or not your debt is going towards something worthwhile.

I agree that entrepreneurship can be a work-around towards success without a college degree. However in reality it's only really feasible is you have access to the resources (including money and business acumen) to even have a chance to be successful. In that sense, it's not an option for everybody.
At one time Venture capital was pretty easy to obtain. Unless banks and lending institutions lighten up the reigns that might be the primary reason people are discouraged from striking out on their own.

It should be noted that not everyone want's a career in a corporate environment. I tried it and did fine but it is too restrictive for me because I cannot utilize my strengths to the best of my ability in such a work place.

Old 01-24-2013, 08:55 AM

6,342 posts, read 11,089,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
For sure. Ever hear of Fox's Pizza? Jimmie Fox, no college, multi-millionaire. Good buddie of mine, dropped out of college and is a multi in RE.

It can still happen.
Great story. And we should not forget how Dave Thomas of Wendy's and Tom Monaghan of Domino's Pizza got their start.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:05 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by track2514 View Post
The proliferation of physical therapists with "doctoral" degrees and the extensive billing of healthcare by physical therapists is new.

Here is a decent article about the physical therapy job market: Jobs outlook: heating up | PT Cover Features News

What concerns me is really simple, how many physical therapists, chiropractors, and other health professionals do we need in western PA? Similar to the situation with teachers, we are graduating a significant number of PTs, nurses, etc. every semester/year and I am wondering when the job market will eventually be saturated. The original discussion we were having was related to the proliferation of MBAs and my point is that this is cyclical and supply and demand change over time when it comes to specific college majors and career fields.
It is insulting to imply that a DPT is not a real doctorate. The 36 month course is as long as medical school.

IRT nurses, most nurses are over 40 and many are over 50. In a few years, a tremendous number of new nurses will be needed to replace those retiring.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:17 AM

Quote:
It is insulting to imply that a DPT is not a real doctorate. The 36 month course is as long as medical school.
I disagree and this statement is factually incorrect, many schools offer 3+3 programs for DPT degrees and students can complete a bachelor's degree and DPT in 6 years. It is literally one of the fastest ways to earn a doctoral degree in any field. With that being said I have no disrespect for physical therapists and they provide a great service for many people. I am simply pointing out that it is a very, very fast track to a doctoral degree.

DPT = 3 years
Doctor of Chiropractic medicine (DC) = 3.5-4years
DO = 4 years
PhD = 4-5 years
MD = 5 years

Last edited by trackstar13; 01-24-2013 at 09:36 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 01-24-2013, 09:32 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
Quote:
IRT nurses, most nurses are over 40 and many are over 50. In a few years, a tremendous number of new nurses will be needed to replace those retiring.

Copy that, just wonder if they have the same work ethic that the 40-50 yr olds have.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:52 AM

Quote:
I disagree and this statement is factually incorrect, many schools offer 3+3 programs for DPT degrees and students can complete a bachelor's degree and DPT in 6 years. It is literally one of the fastest ways to earn a doctoral degree in any field. With that being said I have no disrespect for physical therapists and they provide a great service for many people. I am simply pointing out that it is a very, very fast track to a doctoral degree.

DPT = 3 years
Doctor of Chiropractic medicine (DC) = 3.5-4years
DO = 4 years
PhD = 4-5 years
MD = 5 years
DPT is 3-12 month years.
MD is four school years. You get the MD when you graduate from medical school, not after you complete residency.
I don't know much about DO and DC schools; but I'd bet the years quoted are school years.
My husband took 9 years to get a PhD, but the time can run anywhere from 4 to 10.

As far as these 3 + 3 programs, perhaps you could supply a link to one or two. Some universities have similar programs for obtaining an MD degree in 6-7 years post high school.

Direct BS-MD Programs - Direct BSMD Programs

Old 01-24-2013, 09:56 AM

Early Admission 3+3 | College of Health Professions | SUNY Upstate Medical University
Biology Major - DPT | Villanova University
Arcadia University - 3 + D.P.T. Accelerated Physical Therapy Program

There are many more 3+3 programs out there and I have no problem with these programs, I was only putting "doctoral" in quotes because some may argue that 6 years total from start of college to "Dr." is a little fast. I have no problem calling a physical therapist doctor and I was not trying to disrespect the discipline.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Early Admission 3+3 | College of Health Professions | SUNY Upstate Medical University
Biology Major - DPT | Villanova University
Arcadia University - 3 + D.P.T. Accelerated Physical Therapy Program

There are many more 3+3 programs out there and I have no problem with these programs, I was only putting "doctoral" in quotes because some may argue that 6 years total from start of college to "Dr." is a little fast. I have no problem calling a physical therapist doctor and I was not trying to disrespect the discipline.
You can become a "dr" in 6 years in some of these med school programs too. Here is the DPT curriculum where my daughter went. I can assure you, it's challenging.

DPT Curriculum | School of Medicine | University of Colorado Denver
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh