Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 11:02 PM

9,328 posts, read 13,001,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
^ This. People are now inflating Pittsburgh's image so much that they are comparing us to NYC, SF, L.A., DC, etc. in terms of housing prices, traffic congestion, and other quality-of-life measurements when we're NOT IN THE SAME LEAGUE!

How does our traffic stack up to Raleigh, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Louisville, Milwaukee, and other "peer" cities? That's what's important. If our traffic is a breeze compared to DC but hell compared to Cincinnati, then, obviously Pittsburgh has major traffic issues, which it does.
Excellent point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2013, 11:44 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,651,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
I've posted this before if you look here it's pretty funny where Pittsburgh ranks in the "most congested corridors":

INRIX National Traffic Scorecard
Boy that's really weird. The highest rank (worst) goes to the outbound Parkway...NORTH? I guess that's where it pays to be able to use the HOV lane. It does seem pretty nasty in the evenings now on the regular section. Although it thins out considerably in the summer (perhaps the other routes do as well). Also the section in question is much shorter than the others.

Anyway. Traffic is one of those things that affects you in specific areas. It is possible to not have too much in the way of traffic issues. Your own driving patterns (place and time) will determine whether that happens for you or not.

Not sure what's up with citing places like Columbus. Having driven into and out of Columbus at rush hour (I-70 to/from here) I never found it especially better. The surface streets are wider downtown but get out on the highway and it's nasty enough I found. Same with Cleveland except the backup is not so close to downtown but on one of the highway routes farther away that I use (I-480 I believe).

You want to argue Pittsburgh has more traffic problems than other places a given size? Sure, I can buy it. I think it's odd to say that it "shouldn't happen here" though. I'm not sure what the basis for that is. Anyplace that has more traffic than the roadway infrastructure is designed to support can have traffic problems, even if it's smaller than Pittsburgh.

The hills and rivers also limit the viability of alternate routes in many cases by having fewer roads going the right way and only so many bridges.

Old 12-18-2013, 05:44 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,468,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
So we're supposed to let idiots remain idiots behind the wheel, unchecked, just because they "may" have a gun?
Pro road rage....interesting. Check away if you must.

Old 12-18-2013, 06:59 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,717,529 times
A guy pulled a gun on my dad this year in traffic for a road rage incident. Careful who you "check" because situations can escalate far too quickly on the road. Drive defensive, "let it go", and expect the lowest out of the human race when they operate a vehicle. You'll be better off in the long run.

Old 12-19-2013, 06:07 AM

6,357 posts, read 5,052,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
...Traffic is one of those things that affects you in specific areas. It is possible to not have too much in the way of traffic issues. Your own driving patterns (place and time) will determine whether that happens for you or not.
i agree. what do people expect? MORE roads? destroying neighborhoods for people in cars?
it didnt take more than 2 generations for the parkway north to become the less aggravating version of 376. population boom in the north hills....coincidence?

northern virginians were the absolute worst - always DEMANDING improvements when there is no...more...room for more roads. the area was practically over-saturated. ive never seen anything like it. the south hillians here really shouldnt complain.

cant more people work from home? a friend in another city works for a non-profit outside of DC. she lives near Frederick, MD, and works from home 2 days a week, maybe 3.

but for road rage, yes, SteelCityRising sounds like he needs a break. i dont blame him - i wrote all of his posts years ago in blogs or in venting emails to friends.....bad drivers have no idea they are bad. those that admit it are usually nice people, ive found. the bad drivers, and/or americans in general do NOT want to have their bad habits called out. that is an affront to the sensibilities of the modernite. how dare you, frankly!

i enjoy driving, and do it rarely, using Zip car (that sucks, but thats a different story). it doesnt take long before i regress to cursing like a sailor. there is so little common sense and caution with most people. and walking around you take a different perspective - wow, you see how people in warm vehicles act and its scary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh