Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 12:08 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,154,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by track2514 View Post
The title of the list is "Worst Cities for Driving," and I was pointing that driving in Pittsburgh is easier and more pleasant than driving in cities with major traffic problems and mega-highways. I do agree that Pittsburgh is not a good city for cycling, green transportation, or walking, but what does that have to do with being one of the "Worst Cities for Driving?"
I agree with you. Here is what the "article" said about Pittsburgh driving (when it related to nothing about driving).

Quote:
Data shows that Pittsburgh has one of the highest non-green driving scores with high CO2 emissions. That hasn't stopped motorists from declaring war on cyclists. Despite several fatal accidents, one bike advocate quoted by the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette says many drivers view bikers as "the equivalent of a moving pothole."
It may mean we're bad in other areas but I don't see what being a bad city to bike in has to do with driving a car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 01:57 PM

2,458 posts, read 4,204,019 times
Default I was so conflicted...

It was back a few months ago, before the cold weather. I was driving north on 60 (which is of course, now west on 376), just past where White Swan Park used to be, where it widens out to three lanes. There was this couple, and they were driving at the speed limit, but they were in the middle lane! I didn't know which side to pass them on.

Worse yet, they had a rack on the back bumper with two bikes. But they were driving an SUV!

I didn't know whether to admire them or abhor them....

Old 12-13-2013, 08:42 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,260,804 times
Default fear of driving in Pittsburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
Pittsburgh is the only area where I've ever seen actual stop signs at highway on ramps. So it doesn't surprise me when someone stops at an on-ramp, even if there's no sign, since they are conditioned to think it's acceptable (and honestly, at times it is). I think the Pittsburgh area has much shorter on ramps with less visibility than most other cities.
I have never seen anything like it with ramps in Pittsburgh. I am not a timid driver, but I sure have learned to be afraid of driving at night in Pittsburgh, especially entering highways and the short distance at some points from one highway to another highway.

Well, Morgantown also takes a cake when it comes to road conditions. But nothing like Pittsburgh ramps. Be in fear.

Old 12-14-2013, 05:04 AM

3 posts, read 8,257 times
No way. DC is by FAR the worst city to drive in EVER. Lived there for 5 years. OMGosh...lines of traffic for miles--EVERYWHERE. Lines of people---EVERYWHERE. Accidents, crazy drunks, young kids with music so loud they can't hear anything around them, weird one-way streets that take you into...guess what....MORE traffic. I actually sold my car when I lived there and took the subway. It's the ONLY way to travel in that place. Pittsburgh is an absolute dream in comparison --even during rush hour

Old 12-14-2013, 05:29 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Data shows that Pittsburgh has one of the highest non-green driving scores with high CO2 emissions. That hasn't stopped motorists from declaring war on cyclists. Despite several fatal accidents, one bike advocate quoted by the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette says many drivers view bikers as "the equivalent of a moving pothole."
This would make Pittsburgh one of the worst cities for cycling, not for driving.

I haven't done all the much driving in Pittsburgh, but it never seemed that scary to me. Some of the hills seems a little treacherous when it's icy, but that's about it. Then again, I don't think I've encountered too many of these stop signs on the ramps, so I haven't had the full experience yet.

IMO, just another dumb list that tried to throw a new city into the typical mix to attract some new readers.

Old 12-14-2013, 05:45 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,472,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post

We no doubt have huge CO2 emissions with all the huge SUV/Pickup numbers. It really is shocking when you leave here and come back to see all those primitive giant vehicles. Maybe it is the weight problem that makes people want them so they can fit in there.
Forget about the SUV/Pickups, everybody has them. I think the fact that people who work in and around the city tend to live 20-30 miles away plays a role in our high CO2 emissions. People spending 45 minutes to an hour just to drive to work makes no sense.

Old 12-14-2013, 05:59 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Forget about the SUV/Pickups, everybody has them. I think the fact that people who work in and around the city tend to live 20-30 miles away plays a role in our high CO2 emissions. People spending 45 minutes to an hour just to drive to work makes no sense.

There may be something to that.

With the increases in communications technology, placing new jobs out closer to where the people live instead of concentrating them in large cities might well have a lot of merit.

Old 12-14-2013, 06:34 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
There may be something to that.

With the increases in communications technology, placing new jobs out closer to where the people live instead of concentrating them in large cities might well have a lot of merit.
Or we could simply increase our job density in the urban core and either find better ways of bring mass transit out to the suburbs or enticing more suburbanites to move into the city.

Old 12-14-2013, 06:49 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,472,102 times
The new apartments/lofts or whatever that are being built downtown is very encouraging.

Old 12-14-2013, 07:31 AM

458 posts, read 656,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi Waters View Post
I have never seen anything like it with ramps in Pittsburgh. I am not a timid driver
Quote:
Be in fear.
You are a timid driver, like so many other people in this region. Get over it or stay off the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh