Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 10:26 PM

1,237 posts, read 1,949,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowmint View Post
You must be the luckiest person in the world.
It's all perception I suppose. If given the choice between Canada, NYC, Ireland, or Pittsburgh....I'd pick Pittsburgh hands-down. Now if given the choice between Pittsburgh and Key West.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 10:31 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,008,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealtite View Post
It's all perception I suppose. If given the choice between Canada, NYC, Ireland, or Pittsburgh....I'd pick Pittsburgh hands-down. Now if given the choice between Pittsburgh and Key West.....
Yeah, you and I severely differ there.

But my quote was specifically about her experiences with Pittsburgh drivers. They're the worst I've encountered, and I regularly get home feeling like that there are a lot of sociopaths on the road.

Old 03-08-2013, 04:46 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,805,176 times
Go to Boston if you want bad drivers. They are really the worst I have seen. Also if you have driven in Manhatten, you can drive anywhere.

Old 03-08-2013, 05:21 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,807,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
Go to Boston if you want bad drivers. They are really the worst I have seen. Also if you have driven in Manhatten, you can drive anywhere.
I second, third, and fourth this sentiment, plus add that driving through the Chicago Loop during lunch hour is just as horrendous. Chicago also has a speed demon problem. Boston is where I encountered a driver throwing out an empty fast food bag at 40 MPH.

Pittsburgh lefts and slow tunnel traffic? I'll take it!

Old 03-08-2013, 10:25 AM

2,001 posts, read 2,513,608 times
Quote:
I have lived in Canada, New York and was raised in Ireland. I have been living in the Pittsburgh area now for 8 months. Every day I love it more and more. The drivers ; believe it or not, they are so courteous ; they thank me when I let them in, and in return I thank them for letting me in. Yesterday I was driving thru one tunnell and an ambulance was trying to get thru with its lights on. Well every single driver pulled over to let him pass. I have seen this many times.
Every thing is about 20 mins away from where we live. The neighbours are so nice and friendly. My dog gets out a lot as we do not have a fence. Yesterday some man came to our door and just politely told my dh that the dog goes to his yard every day ; its not a problem, but just to let us know where he was. Yes, he does have a license (the dog) and he is well taken care of and he comes home always. Not an issue, but just letting us know where he was.
People I work with are wonderful. They are so helpful, decent and hard working.
It is so cheap to live here. My wages while they are not high high, they are reasonable and I am happy.

I have no regrets at all. When we decided to move out of NY, our option was France or Pittsburgh. My family are thrilled to live here and never want to live in NY again (we were there for 25 years).
WOW, Dorothy, I would have gone to France For the food

Old 03-08-2013, 11:34 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,008,525 times
Quote:
Hah, there's a difference between places being arguably worse and actively arguing that Pittsburgh drivers are great. You did the latter. And I am glad that those have been your experiences, but like I said, you must be a lucky person.

Old 03-08-2013, 06:31 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,805,176 times
France was a huge contender until 2 months before we really decided. In the end, the kids lucked out. We thought it would have been too much for them trying to adjust to school, learn a new language, a new country etc and also the horror or horror ; teenage years!!. We can always go to france when they are grown and keeping their parents in the manner they want to become accustomed to!!

Old 03-09-2013, 06:31 PM

1,237 posts, read 1,949,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowmint View Post
Yeah, you and I severely differ there.

But my quote was specifically about her experiences with Pittsburgh drivers. They're the worst I've encountered, and I regularly get home feeling like that there are a lot of sociopaths on the road.
Now that's something I DO happen to agree with you about. Yes, Pittsburgh drivers are horrible. Worst in the country by my standards, and I've driven all over this great land of ours. The drivers here are downright atrocious.

Old 03-09-2013, 07:05 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,647,204 times
Quote:
France was a huge contender until 2 months before we really decided. In the end, the kids lucked out. We thought it would have been too much for them trying to adjust to school, learn a new language, a new country etc and also the horror or horror ; teenage years!!. We can always go to france when they are grown and keeping their parents in the manner they want to become accustomed to!!
I have friends from Italy that now live in the US. She's American, he's Italian. They and all four of their kids have dual EU/American citizenship. Their youngest is a senior in high school and she wants to be a doctor. They're seriously considering moving to France when she completes her undergraduate studies here and is ready to start medical school. Free medical school vs. hundreds of thousands of $ in tuition.

Old 03-09-2013, 09:52 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliegt View Post
I have friends from Italy that now live in the US. She's American, he's Italian. They and all four of their kids have dual EU/American citizenship. Their youngest is a senior in high school and she wants to be a doctor. They're seriously considering moving to France when she completes her undergraduate studies here and is ready to start medical school. Free medical school vs. hundreds of thousands of $ in tuition.
Consider how that works out if they want to return to the US to work as doctors. It's really not that easy switching countries, especially coming into Canada or the US. Experienced doctors from other countries have to basically start all over again. Yeah, even doctors from the UK and France.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh