Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2013, 01:48 PM

479 posts, read 1,236,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
The problem with the small towns is you are never accepted by the locals. We ran into that when we were looking at small towns in Pennsylvania. Move to a small town on the South and the problem will be magnified a billion times.
That's pretty much true, but I wouldn't mind living somewhere a little less heavily populated than the SF Valley with about 1.5 to 2 million residents. There are many nice smaller places here in CA, and I like where my cousin lives near Reno, NV also. I would think where there are transplants moving in, this would be less of a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2013, 02:07 PM

4,275 posts, read 7,629,899 times
I'm jumping ship this fall myself. I was born and raised in Pittsburgh all my life and never really enjoyed living here. I've been to Portland, Oregon three times already and I love it there. It fits my lifestyle and intrerets better. Our winters are rough here too (I'll take the rain and clouds over snow, ice and frigid temperatures anyday.)

Old 06-18-2013, 02:18 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,645,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
That's a very logical plan. Sadly, it will be to convince my husband after the crash of the housing market. He will understand the COL and housing prices will always be higher there, but he will have a hard time trusting that the property value won't decrease and cause us to lose money. I'll have to do some research. If I can prove real estate tanked out as low as possible and is now starting to rise, he might be game.
Home prices didn't tank as much in some areas as compared to others. If you have specific areas you're interested in it should be pretty easy to find sales info over the last 10 years to see how much of a drop occurred during the crash.

Old 06-18-2013, 02:23 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,645,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post
I'm jumping ship this fall myself. I was born and raised in Pittsburgh all my life and never really enjoyed living here. I've been to Portland, Oregon three times already and I love it there. It fits my lifestyle and intrerets better. Our winters are rough here too (I'll take the rain and clouds over snow, ice and frigid temperatures anyday.)
A good friend of mine is planning to retire to Portland in a year or two. It is more affordable than the SF Bay Area where he now lives. He doesn't mind the grey weather. He lived in Seattle and the west side of SF for many years. Go for it. I just moved to Pittsburgh and I'm really enjoying the change of scenery and everything else that goes along with a cross country move. It's good to try other places. One size doesn't fit all and something that worked at one point in your life may not work at another point. Good luck!

Old 06-18-2013, 02:32 PM

479 posts, read 1,236,722 times
Quote:
Then you will be doing right by leaving! Likely you will miss things about Pittsburgh when you leave too, especially your family and friends.

Old 06-18-2013, 02:41 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,243,435 times
Quote:
Enjoy Portlandia. It's a great city.

Old 06-18-2013, 02:53 PM

4,362 posts, read 6,531,023 times
My Greener Pasture was a pay-check. Some 18 years back I was transferred first to Michigan for a year and then to Wisconsin for 11. Been in Northern Minnesota for the past six years, small town of 700 and no desire to leave it. Up until MN I felt I would return to Pittsburgh eventually. Now I doubt it.

As I was growing up in the burgh, I wanted the opportunity to live on Mt Washington and I did accomplish that. Found out Grandview Ave isn't so grand, in the summer it's crowded and noisy. Stupid idiots with their loud stereos cruising back and forth. After almost a year I had to get off the summit. Did find a few places on the Mountain Side overlooking the city, East Sycamore Terrace, Arlington Ave and Hartford St, the last one there was on SS Slopes. All were great places to live. Before leaving town I lived in Highland Park for a year and really liked that. Never did I feel I would leave Pittsburgh - nor did I want to. It just happened.

By chance I landed in rural MN where the grass IS greener indeed. Always nice to run into other former Pittsburghers, they are out there.

Old 06-18-2013, 03:01 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgirl49 View Post
That's pretty much true, but I wouldn't mind living somewhere a little less heavily populated than the SF Valley with about 1.5 to 2 million residents. There are many nice smaller places here in CA, and I like where my cousin lives near Reno, NV also. I would think where there are transplants moving in, this would be less of a problem.
California and Nevada aren't the South.

It doesn't matter how many transplants move there, Pittsburghers will always be Yankees to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamont61 View Post
Always nice to run into other former Pittsburghers, they are out there.
There are many Pittsburghers everywhere. That's why the Steelers have the greatest number of Steeler sports bars throughout the world.

I'm glad you found your perfect place. I'm always happy when people find their dreams. That's wonderful for you!

Old 06-18-2013, 03:21 PM

419 posts, read 551,659 times
Quote:
I will be leaving sometime next year, maybe by fall 2014. I'm well established here and it's difficult to just pack up and move. But I need to experience something new, especially a different climate. The weather here is lousy and depressing. This June has been mediocre at best. I love the 4 seasons, but what's there to enjoy with over 150+ days of rain and 200+ overcast days in a year? I know some people don't mind it and some people actually love the weather here. That's great for you! Maybe I'll appreciate it more one day but sorry 45% annual sunlight just doesn't cut it anymore. Way too grim

Old 06-18-2013, 03:45 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,080,646 times
Hopes, if you're in a position where you guys can live numerous places, may I suggest checking out some of the threads here:

Some Great Threads With Practical Tips

Open the section under Retirement Locations and you'll find all sorts of suggestions of places that would work well for people 40-50 and older. Many retirees need cities where they can pick up jobs as needed, so the cities they like might also appeal to someone who isn't yet retired but thinking about a town that would eventually become a retirement town.

ps. I'm proud to say I've suggested Pittsburgh in a few of those threads, too. It's got a few drawbacks for retirees but in many ways is a great choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh