Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2013, 01:58 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,666,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
I visit DC about once a year and it's fun as hell. Much more to see and do in comparison to Pittsburgh (that's sacrilegious to say on this forum but I think it's true).
Sacrilegious? They can speak against DC on here or anywhere else, but anyone who doesn't think what you said is true is looking for something different than most of us, methinks. But we are of course comparing the much larger national capital city to, well, Pittsburgh. It's not exactly a surprise is it?

DC is cool. I grew up going to DC periodically as I lived a bit closer than now, including in some years multiple school trips, etc. I like going there, long as it's not for work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 03:07 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,040,077 times
If I ever move again, it will probably be to another city within Pennsylvania. I have been around enough to know that everything I could ever want can be found somewhere in this state. If I want a big urban city, nothing is better than Philly. If I want a charming Victorian small city, eastern PA is where it's at. If I want a gritty rust belt industrial city, there's Erie, Pittsburgh, Johnstown, etc. If I want a Victorian townhouse in a downtown area, there's York and Reading.

Old 06-17-2013, 05:46 PM

781 posts, read 1,620,061 times
Lived in Pittsburgh for 7-8 years, moved to Chicago suburbs a few months ago. The public schools are so much better here and honestly I feel more at home here. I am glad I had the experience living in Pittsburgh but I will never move back. I do speak highly of it and tell people they would be surprised at how nice it is.

Old 06-17-2013, 06:16 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,648,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideblinded View Post
Lived in Pittsburgh for 7-8 years, moved to Chicago suburbs a few months ago. The public schools are so much better here and honestly I feel more at home here. I am glad I had the experience living in Pittsburgh but I will never move back. I do speak highly of it and tell people they would be surprised at how nice it is.
Which suburb are you in? My best friend lives in Evanston. Says the public schools are good there. But she hates the winters after having lived in Italy for 27 years.

Old 06-17-2013, 08:47 PM

71 posts, read 177,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainbob2 View Post
What made you decide to leave Pittsburgh and how did it turn out? Happy with the move? Did something draw you back to the Burgh?

I've been here about 7 years and PGH started out pretty exciting since I came from a middle sized town in eastern PA, but it's starting to lose its luster. And now at almost 30 I feel the need to see what else is out there for an actual move, not just travel. Pittsburgh seems great for raising a family but that's a few years off for me. I was just curious to see what others who have actually moved think.

I know ThumbingMyWay has a similar thread but that seemed to lead into discussion about the weather .

Thanks for your wisdom!
Hey nice topic. I was curious to read the responses.

I do have a few questions for you if you dont mind as you seem to be in a similar situation as I am. I'm curious what part of eastern PA you are from (I am from just outside of Hazleton)? Also, i assume you read my post about why I am ready to leave here, I am curious why you are ready to move on (just looking for a new adventure? Or does Pittsburgh feel like it's missing something for you?)? Are you nervous (cautious maybe?) that maybe Pittsburgh is better than you give it credit for?

I could be wrong but I think we both feel Pittsburgh isn't a bad place, but it just feels like there has to be somewhere better out there.

Feel free to direct message me if you prefer.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:07 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumbingMyWay View Post
I could be wrong but I think we both feel Pittsburgh isn't a bad place, but it just feels like there has to be somewhere better out there.
I know you didn't ask me, but I've always felt there was something better out there.

When I was 17, I remember telling a gas station owner that I couldn't wait to leave this town. (My car had broken down in front of his gas station and I was using his phone to call AAA.) He told me it's the same everywhere. I'll never forget that and it's true because how we view our surroundings is a personality trait.

About 10 years ago, I answered questions online for a program that would compare your preferences (culture, education, weather, cost of living, etc.) and tell you what city was the best match for you. It didn't respond Pittsburgh. It responded the exact TOWNSHIP I lived. I was deflated by the thought "it doesn't get any better than THIS."

I do love Pittsburgh. It's a great city. It has many things going for it. I just feel there is something else out there. I learned to also acknowledge that this is a problem inside of me---that my happiness isn't dependent on where I live. I know I'll always think there is something better out there regardless of where I live. It has nothing to do with hating a place and being unhappy. I just want to experience everything the world has to offer. Even after settling down in one place for 20 years to raise a family, that feeling never went away.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:10 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,600,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
When I was 17, I remember telling a gas station owner that I couldn't wait to leave this town. (My car had broken down in front of his gas station and I was using his phone to call AAA.) He told me it's the same everywhere.
If you write your memoirs, make him a cab driver. It's kind of traditional for that type of wisdom.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:30 PM

71 posts, read 177,522 times
Quote:
I do love Pittsburgh. It's a great city. It has many things going for it. I just feel there is something else out there. I learned to also acknowledge that this is a problem inside of me---that my happiness isn't dependent on where I live. I know I'll always think there is something better out there regardless of where I live. It has nothing to do with hating a place and being unhappy. I just want to experience everything the world has to offer. Even after settling down in one place for 20 years to raise a family, that feeling never went away.
I think I may end up feeling that way too but you never know.

There's just so much of the world out there. I'm still holding out hope that there is that one perfect place out there for me. Although maybe one day I'll realize I was wrong.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:33 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,648,440 times
Quote:
I know you didn't ask me, but I've always felt there was something better out there.

When I was 17, I remember telling a gas station owner that I couldn't wait to leave this town. (My car had broken down in front of his gas station and I was using his phone to call AAA.) He told me it's the same everywhere. I'll never forget that and it's true because how we view our surroundings is a personality trait.

About 10 years ago, I answered questions online for a program that would compare your preferences (culture, education, weather, cost of living, etc.) and tell you what city was the best match for you. It didn't respond Pittsburgh. It responded the exact TOWNSHIP I lived. I was deflated by the thought "it doesn't get any better than THIS."

I loved the SF Bay Area and thought I'd always live there. I traveled more than a bit, but always came back home. When my finances dictated that I could no longer afford to live there I found I was actually excited to be moving elsewhere. It's good to shake things up every so often. I don't think it's a personality problem to want to try living other places, especially since you have lived in one place for over 20 years. A little wanderlust is good for the soul.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:39 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,040,077 times
Quote:
I agree. If I was independently wealthy, I might just move from place to place, forever soaking up new experiences, people, and surroundings. I don't want to just visit places, though. I want to get the full experience of living in them. Visiting provides such a limited experience.

I think my wanderlust is a personality trait, but I also have a desire for security, and it's easier to be secure among what you know and what you own. While moving around provides a feeling of freedom, it also makes you a slave to rent and employment conditions. I feel that owning a house in Pittsburgh has given me a leg up. I don't feel like I ever have to scramble for money or resources again, the way I did when I was new in a city with nothing of my own. That's a freedom of its own.

I'm from the midwest, and I'm descended from a long line of pioneers who were never happy in one place. That's the restless American spirit, I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh