Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 01:13 PM

1,106 posts, read 1,163,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreservationPioneer View Post
I think we are growing at a slow rate now. I don't think explosive growth would be positive for our region.
I agree completely. I posted about this in another thread. Place with explosive growth have seen a lot of downsides to this. I am not sure why rapid growth is seen as a good thing. As long as there are at least as many people coming in and are leaving, and the unemployment rate is in line with the national average, things are fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2014, 01:17 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,008,001 times
Explosive growth is pretty terrible. The situation in North Dakota right now sounds like hell, for example, for the average person. The only people it could be good for are people who can sell their homes at a huge profit and then get the hell out to somewhere new.

Old 01-26-2014, 01:26 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,544,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zman63 View Post
Copanut I have a good job for being in "Pittsburgh". My point is how come people aren't beating down the door to come here? Why aren't we growing by the thousands? Why are the business startups the lowest of the top 40 metros?

Why are people, companies and startups choosing cities like Columbus, Charlotte, Raleigh and Minneapolis over Pittsburgh?
Probably because they have a strong Republican base.

Old 01-26-2014, 01:46 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Not Minneapolis! It's DFL country.

Old 01-27-2014, 07:59 AM

1,445 posts, read 1,972,313 times
Nice article in Slate about Pittsburgh's most famous startup, DuoLingo. DuoLingo was named Apple's app of the year last year and has about 20 million users. All from their offices above The Elbow Room on Walnut St.

Old 01-27-2014, 09:36 AM

1,776 posts, read 2,697,769 times
It's crazy how DuoLingo has caught on. All of my friends are suddenly using it, worldwide. Really great success story. Let's just hope they stay put. I will scream if a another ModCloth-style thing happens with them.

Old 01-27-2014, 10:53 AM

1,010 posts, read 1,394,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Not sure about raleigh, but those cities and counties are much more democratic than allegheny county and pittsburgh. Pittsburgh is a very republican metro aside from the 55 sqmile city and 1st ring of suburbs. Thats why it is stuck in a timewarp. Republicans hate change and western pa mirrors that way of thinking.

Old 01-27-2014, 11:02 AM

^^In years past, at least Beaver County was solidly blue collar Democrat. It has changed over the years, especially since the steel bust. Maybe the more rural suburban counties were more Republican. Allegheny County was also solidly Dem.

Old 01-27-2014, 11:27 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,054,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
^^In years past, at least Beaver County was solidly blue collar Democrat. It has changed over the years, especially since the steel bust. Maybe the more rural suburban counties were more Republican. Allegheny County was also solidly Dem.
that would be an interesting area for political analysts. it still may be more democrat, but considering so many democrats DONT EFFING VOTE (im in no party, though), the smaller numbers of suburbanized republicans (speaking in general terms) will wield decision making power.

i admit i know so little about Beaver county anymore, not having been there except to visit youngstown over the years. when i was a kid, beaver falls was a nice large town/very small city...its probably changed, of course. i always thought it was the 'country'. "really!?! you get channel 11 out here?" i once said to another kid.

Old 01-27-2014, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
that would be an interesting area for political analysts. it still may be more democrat, but considering so many democrats DONT EFFING VOTE (im in no party, though), the smaller numbers of suburbanized republicans (speaking in general terms) will wield decision making power.

i admit i know so little about Beaver county anymore, not having been there except to visit youngstown over the years. when i was a kid, beaver falls was a nice large town/very small city...its probably changed, of course. i always thought it was the 'country'. "really!?! you get channel 11 out here?" i once said to another kid.
Beaver Falls was once a nice large town/small city (it is incorporated as a city), but the steel bust really took its toll. The suburbs of BF seem to be doing fine now, though they had their tough times in the early 80s. Some people do think it's the country, and some on this board argue that it's really not "Pittsburgh area", but as long ago as the 1930s my dad took the train to Pgh to go to night school at Carnegie Mellon (then Carnegie Tech), and back, all in the same evening. When I was a kid we went to Pgh mostly for sporting events, and I did see the Beatles at the Civic Arena in 1964.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh