Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 03:21 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,380,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainPittsburgh View Post
East Liberty is perfectly fine these days, assuming you have the tiniest amount of street awareness. Honestly, I don't even think you need that anymore. I am in the neighborhood on a pretty infrequent, but regular basis, for what it's worth.
Excuse me but does your "East Liberty," include the East Liberty Gardens Apartments, the Enright Court Townhouses, Omega Place, Black Street, Hays Street, or the 600 blocks of Mellon St/Negley Ave/N Euclid Ave/N St. Clair Street?

Yes the Penn Avenue-Central East Liberty shopping and residential areas are fine, but behind Target & north of the blvd there's still places to avoid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 06:26 PM

1,860 posts, read 2,579,883 times
There are some rough spots but northern east lib and southern highland park but it still isn't that bad. I walk many of those blocks and while at night there might be some loud teens out, but most people on those blocks out at night are walking their dog or going home or sitting on their porch. The OP has no reason to be on these blocks unless she/he has friends there.

A pizza delivery driver was telling me how different those blocks are now versus 15 years ago. I only know them from walking them 7 years ago and living there now. Huge difference. I didn't want to walk on most of those streets day or night in 2005 or prior and now I live there.

East liberty gardens and omega are very isolated and there's no reason to go there if you don't know anybody who lives there. They are scheduled for the bulldozer soon enough.

Old 08-08-2013, 06:38 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,261,826 times
East Liberty was very problematic, particularly before the 3 New Jack City hi-rises were razed.

When I was driving a cab, and turning in at 3 a.m., the walk over to my personal car with a pocket full of money was always a bit intimidating.

Old 08-08-2013, 06:39 PM

Spam - was that the 90s?

Old 08-08-2013, 06:42 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,261,826 times
Yes, I drove in the 1990's, nights and weekends only, part time.

It was pretty interesting, when you drove out of the garage, you never knew where you'd end up.

Old 08-08-2013, 06:48 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,034,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selltheburgh View Post
East liberty gardens and omega are very isolated and there's no reason to go there if you don't know anybody who lives there. They are scheduled for the bulldozer soon enough.
Yeah, I saw the plan on making the Omega Place area into a park. Dunno how those houses lasted as long as they did in the middle of a vacant superblock. Somebody must have had some pull back when Penn Circle was made.

Last edited by eschaton; 08-08-2013 at 07:20 PM..

Old 08-08-2013, 07:08 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Remember "selltheburgh" owns property in East Liberty. I stated that area in particular isn't bad, but lets not get carried away. You need to be looking around and there is foot traffic around that COULD pose a problem. There is still plenty of crime in East Liberty and I have encountered some bad things around Home Depot/Target areas, but it is pretty rare. I work in that area 5 days a week and it isn't like I am in a nice suburb. When school is in, it is a bit worse as far as the hassle goes. People getting punched for fun and kids trying to show off to classmates that they can pick on someone. It isn't a shooting, but still, it is a drag. Then there are shooting in that area now and again. Very bad areas are around and those losers walk through there. Sort of luck of the draw, but I would still park there and walk to a car at most hours of the day and night. I just don't want people to feel too comfortable. That wouldn't be wise.

Old 08-08-2013, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Yeah, I saw they plan on making the Omega Place area into a park. Dunno how those houses lasted as long as they did in the middle of a vacant superblock. Somebody must have had some pull back when Penn Circle was made.
Where did you see that about the park?

There's a tunnel that goes under East Lib Blvd and a paved trail that connects to Negley Run from near Omega Place. It is over grown and goes behind the Auburn St projects in Larimer (that are slated for demo). Then it has to cross Negley Run to connect to Highland Park, but it would be a fantastic connector from the park to the business district. I think that in 5-10 years traffic on Negley Run will be the bigger setback for that connector than the sketchiness of Auburn St in Larimer. RIght now there's less dumping and garbage that I would have guessed. It may have been cleaned up in the last year or two.

There are bike lanes planned for Broad St near Station Street / East Lib Gardens.

http://goo.gl/maps/BEVMz

The trail / road is even noted on google maps.

Old 08-08-2013, 07:19 PM

No, it definitely isn't the suburbs. It is an urban neighborhood.

Old 08-08-2013, 07:23 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,034,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selltheburgh View Post
Where did you see that about the park?
Check out the PDF. Note page 8 (numbered, page 10 of the PDF). That whole area is marked for "Parks Planning/Greenway."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh